Thread: Missing programs in "Program Control"

lozzz Guest

Default Missing programs in "Program Control"

Hi, has anyone come across this and what caused it.

Today when I tried to access the internet with Firefox I got the ZA alert that svchost.exe was trying to access the internet. Initially I blocked it but could not access the internet. I then temporarily allowed it and was able to.
    However on checking the Program Control I discovered that I had only 54 programs listed instead of over a hundred I had before. I also found that "Smart Defense Advisor" was set to Auto instead of my usual Manual setting. This was not after any ZA update.

Anyone come across this and secondly does svchost.exe need to access the internet? (I ran multiple scans with various programs on svchost.exe but it seems clean)

Any help would be appreciated
    regards
    Laurie

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services/ svchost.exe

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services/ svchost.exe in XP
    Host Process for Windows Services in Vista
    __________________________________________________ ___
    This is a 'trusted' program that your pc needs to function; there are several Microsoft background services that use this program and will need some 'internet access' in order for your pc to function properly. In 'task manager' you may find 6 or more svchost.exe running/ being used by various 'necessary' background services.

You can click here and read thru > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=69949&highlight=svchost < and if you wish, you can click on 'search' for svchost.exe.
    __________________________________________________ ______
    In one of your past posts you asked about slow shutdowns and revealed you have other " 4 anti-nasty programs" (nice wording , interesting )

"Loz

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus"

Could you please list your anti-nasty programs?

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool' or if not available, use the Windows XP/ Vista add/remove software tool in the control panel.

Caution: Many of today's hybrid anti-spyware software will now include anti-virus protection; be aware they may conflict with your main anti-virus software. Please read the details of your chosen anti-spyware protection. New hybrid Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software:
    ...like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, PCTools ThreatFire, paid versions of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Plus + Ad-Aware Pro,
    Emsisoft A-Squared Anti-Malware (free and paid versions) now contains anti-virus too, etc.

It is quite possible your other anti-nasty programs are factors with your slower shut-downs.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    NaiveMelody NYC - 9-25-09 - Wild World - Cat Stevens
    Last edited by naivemelody; September 24th, 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information