Thread: Windows Security Alerts

cjwertz Guest

Default Windows Security Alerts

Last night, September 25, 2009, the Windows Security Alert icon appeared in the system tray of my Vista SP1 system. When I double click, the dialog tells me (1) my firewall is off and (2)I need to check settings on my malware protection. Under firewall, it says "Windows Firewall is turned off." Under malware is says, Zonealarmj is reporting in an unrecognized format. I can find a reference to (2) in these forums. I find nothing about the (1).

The Zonealarm icon is also in the tray. When I bring Zonealarm up, it tells me everything is fine. As far as I can tell, it's a bogus warning from Windows.

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.298.035.

I repeat that this just popped up yesterday, September 25, 2009.

Thumbs up Re: Windows Security Alerts

Quote Originally Posted by cjwertz View Post
    Last night, September 25, 2009, the Windows Security Alert icon appeared in the system tray of my Vista SP1 system. When I double click, the dialog tells me (1) my firewall is off and (2)I need to check settings on my malware protection. Under firewall, it says "Windows Firewall is turned off." Under malware is says, Zonealarmj is reporting in an unrecognized format. I can find a reference to (2) in these forums. I find nothing about the (1).

The Zonealarm icon is also in the tray. When I bring Zonealarm up, it tells me everything is fine. As far as I can tell, it's a bogus warning from Windows.

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.298.035.

I repeat that this just popped up yesterday, September 25, 2009.
    to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your Computer Monitor.

1.) your Version of ZASS is 2 years and 4 Versions Old.. ZASS 8.0.400.020 / 9.0.083.000 / 9.0.112.000 / 9.0.114.000

The Latest English version of ZASS is being Sent out if you have Automatic ZA Updates turned on "Check for Update", first to Servers in the USA, the to the rest of the world..

2.) Your Problem sounds like a Corrupted Install or Corrupted Configuration files..

3.) have your Changed the Default Settings of ZASS?

4.) do you have other Security Programs Installed that may be Blocking or Conflicting with ZoneAlarm..

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

======================================
    B.) It looks like your Have Corrupted your Installed ZA files The Best Fix for this problem is to Uninstall the Corrupte Version..

The simplest procedure is to :

1.Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista)

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cjwertz Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Alerts

I just went to a chat session and have been instructed to install a newer za to fix the problem.

cjwertz Guest

I should have said a little more. Thanks for the advice, GeorgeV. Now I have to digest both your reply and my chat transcript. Looks like I need to block out a little time and do some work. This problem just popped up last night. I had not changed anything. In the chat session I was told that the newer version will correct this specific problem.

badmix Guest

Default HELP!!: Windows Security Alerts

This sounds like what started for me last nite.

Windows XP
    ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version 9.0.112.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.0.112.000
    Driver version 9.0.112.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.1.33
    DAT file version 994225728

I think the popup said it was a "Windows Security Center" and said i was not running any anti-virus/spyware program and my computer was infected. I probably just lost $50 registering the Antivirus Pro 2010 program (i know, i know) and now can't get rid of it. I've removed the actual program but still can't get rid of the red circle with the white x in the taskbar - it keeps popping up with this message:

<quote>
    "Your computer is infected!
    Windows has detected spyware infection!

It is recomended to use special antispyware tools to pervent data loss. Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.

Click here to protect your computer from spyware!
    </quote>

With 4 typos in 5 sentences....it's a pretty good clue it's bogus but now how do i get rid of the red circle with the white x in the taskbar?

ETA:
    just finished a ZoneAlarm scan.
    Memory: Packed.Win32.Krap.ad was found in c:\documents and settings\beth\application data\seres.exe on 10/3/2009 12:14:10

Memory: Packed.Win32.Krap.ad was found in c:\documents and settings\beth\application data\svcst.exe on 10/3/2009 12:14:10

ETA:
    I just rebooted after the ZoneAlarm scan to delete the two files it found and my computer automatically started downloading the Antivirus Pro 2010 program again. HELP!!!!
    Last edited by badmix; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:26 AM.

cjwertz Guest

Unhappy Re: Windows Security Alerts

This may not be the same problem I had.
    I did not receive the popup saying, "Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection!"
    I think you've been had.
    If you ask google to find "Antivirus Pro 2010," a bunch of stuff come up, but I don't know if I would trust any of it.
    Maybe Zonealarm can help you.
    Try a chat session if it's available today.

badmix Guest

yeah, that's Had with a capital H. but since i was dumb enough to buy their software.....someone could track them down because i used my visa. does anyone do that?

i googled the 'antivirus pro 2010' and downloaded the spyware doctor software that was linked.....it worked like a charm (well, after running the scan and rebooting 3 times to delete the files). so far the red circle with the white x is gone. yay!

ETA: anyone know how it got on my computer?
    Last edited by badmix; October 3rd, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badmix View Post
    yeah, that's Had with a capital H. but since i was dumb enough to buy their software.....someone could track them down because i used my visa. does anyone do that?

i googled the 'antivirus pro 2010' and downloaded the spyware doctor software that was linked.....it worked like a charm (well, after running the scan and rebooting 3 times to delete the files). so far the red circle with the white x is gone. yay!

ETA: anyone know how it got on my computer?

It sounds Like you have been practicing some Un-safe Browsing..
    and Infected your Computer when you downloaded and installed some Security program you found on the Internet..

A lot of Malware and Trojans now days are designed to protect themselfs once the get installed..

===================
    Try this to Clean your Computer..

If any Step can not be performed, Skip it and gio onto the Next step..

NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (8.0.400.020 or later). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Disable system restore;
    2. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Ultra Deep Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    3. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    4. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    5. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to Normal
    7. Ensable System restore

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
    How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running

B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running

C. Download update and scan with A2 free

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to BleepingComputer or SpywareHammer
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

Exclamation Re: badmix- read this/ AntiVirus Pro 2010 - fake!

1) You had one of those fake rogue malware on your pc and you succumbed to their tactics by actually purchasing the fake 'Antivirus Pro 2010' knowing it was a fake , , ! (bad move)

Oh, well, here is what you can do now > immediately call up your Visa card issuer and "dispute the charges" asking for refund or credit on the amount. By law, Visa will send you written paperwork for you to verify your claims and 'usually' you will get a credit/ refund, after a few weeks.

If your super parnoid/ extra cautious - you 'may' at your discretion - after you made your claim as mentioned above - cancel your Visa account and "ask" for a new card number as a replacement - citing 'possible vulnerability of your card number' by that "bad" AntiVirus Pro company. Usually, card replacement for 'stolen/ or compromised' cards are free.
    __________________________________________________ __
    2) ETA: anyone know how it got on my computer? You ask -

Click here and read this > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...omy_of_a_hack/ < offers the best explanation and details of these types of 'fake, rogue, malware.'

You can do everything right and go to safe/ trusted sites; but the sites themselves or 'third party' ads can be stealthfully sending out malware.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    3) badmix, your posts are actully more geared for the 'Malware board' here, and you should not have jumped into some else's particular issue= 'hijack thread'; especially if it isn't 'really' the same.

You say you got PCTools SpywareDoctor - which version please specify? Post back info. Usually, it will come with integrated anti-virus software and can conflict with your ZA Suite's anti-virus scanner. Also please verify that it is the actual PCTools software company and not a fake/ reseller - connected black/ grey market software.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    NaiveMelody NYC - 10-3-09 - What A Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers
    Last edited by naivemelody; October 4th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.

1.) your Version of ZASS is 2 years and 4 Versions Old

See: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html"8.0.298.035 was released to the public on April 11, 2009"

Thread Information