Thread: On Access Scanning

nanker Guest

Default On Access Scanning

Hi

Just done a fresh/ clean install of the updated version of Zone Alarm Extreme Security to Version 9.0.114.000 and noticed just a couple of things and just seeking clarification that all's well

Firstly when I check "Alerts & Logs" & "Anti Virus Anti Spyware" tab everytime my machine starts up there are three Errors Marked up against "On Access Scanning" but with no details listed . Is this anything to worry about is this working or not (I have On Access Scanning set to "Scan In Smart Mode").

Also in system tray the Zone Alarm Icon only changes to the red and green Traffic meter when I actually surf or click on the link, when its idle even if web pages are up such as now when I'm typing this the System Tray Icon is just The "Z" Icon. Before the upgrade it was always showing the Red & Green Meter once the machine was up and running.

Still looks like the machine is closing down now (was crashing every other turn off before the upgrade) perhaps I can uninstall UPHC Clean now?

regards

Nanker

Default Re: On Access Scanning

Quote Originally Posted by nanker View Post
    there are three Errors Marked up against "On Access Scanning" Nanker
    Yes, I see the same. I don't see any evident malfunction. It may be just a GUI glitch. If you want you can report to ZA technical support.

Also in system tray the Zone Alarm Icon only changes to the red and green Traffic meter when I actually surf or click on the link, when its idle even if web pages are up such as now when I'm typing this the System Tray Icon is just The "Z" Icon. Nanker
    Yes, I see the same. Just a GUI glitch. ZA is filtering correctly. And as above you can report to ZA, link in my signature.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nanker Guest

Cheers Fax

thanks for the prompt reply, panic over for the moment

regards

nanker

You're welcome!

Fax

nanker Guest

Just checked with online tech support who have confirmed:

RE ON ACCESS SCANNING:

"The on-access scan error in your logs is a known issue. On-Access scanning has an issue scanning a system file on boot. The file is fine, its just the state of the file at startup that can't be scanned.Our developers are working to fix it as soon as they can!.

AND

SYSTEM TRAY

"That is normal. The ZoneAlarm icon will change to the traffic icon whenever your computer is sending or receiving traffic via the internet. It should have been doing the same thing in the earlier version; you may have had a corrupted setting in ZoneAlarm causing it to show that icon all the time".

"That is normal. The ZoneAlarm icon will change to the traffic icon whenever your computer is sending or receiving traffic via the internet. It should have been doing the same thing in the earlier version; you may have had a corrupted setting in ZoneAlarm causing it to show that icon all the time".
    Sorry, I may have misunderstood the issue. You meant only that with no internet activity the ZA is not flashing? If yes, then its normal. If instead you have, for example, a background download but the ZA icon does not flash than, this is the GUI bug I was referring to.

In other words, there is a flow of data going out and in but ZA icon is not flashing. It flashes only on the first contact...

.... and thanks for posting the "on access" confirmation....

Fax

WickedGirl Guest

This does not appear to be just a problem that occurs on boot-up for me. I get the On-Access Scan error message at times other than when I am booting the computer. Since I do not turn my computer off, this cannot be the issue. When I check the log file, I see the following for all instances where the GUI displays the On-Access Scan error message:

AV/treatment 2009/11/03 21:23:56 -5:00 GMT Unknown

The times vary of course. I would really like to know if the ON-Access scan is actually working and how this can be verified other than taking someone's word for it, if possible. Also, what is the ETA for this to be fixed? I am in the process of considering whether to continue my ZoneAlarm subscription, to upgrade it, or to move on to something else.

Thanks in advance.

HI!
    please do no hijack other users thread, open yours. You seem to mix up the entire issue.

To check the "on access scan" just try to download a test:
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    and see if ZA will complain.

For the rest (e.g. eta) you need to contact ZA technical support. We are all users here, no ZA staff. Link to support in my signature!

Thanksss
    Fax

Thread Information