Thread: Virtualization cripples IE8, etc.

robster Guest

Angry Virtualization cripples IE8, etc.

On my Pentium 4 PC (OS=Windows XP Home SP3, with 1GB RAM + 2GB virtual memory), enabling ZA Extreme Security's ForceField virtualization cripples Internet Explorer 8 and some essential functions of Windows Explorer. With virtualization, the Windows Taskbar and Start Menu do not function at all (i.e. when I hover my mouse over them, I get the hourglass cursor, which rotates endlessly) and Internet Explorer will not launch, however I try to start it.

As soon as I disable virtualization, the problems are over and everything functions perfectly. I took the advice of ZA Support and temporarily disabled all other non-Microsoft start-ups to see whether one of them was the source of evil. But no, the original issue remains and would therefore seem to be a major bug involving ForceField virtualization. I had no problems at all with the previous version (before updating to v. 90.083.000).

If this is a bug in ZAES itself, in my view the software is not ready for public consumption and should never have been released. After all, isn't virtualization supposed to be the core protection offered by ForceField?

What should I do? Return to a previous stable version or continue running this 'buggy' version with virtualization disabled? Does this represent a major security risk? Please advise!

By the way, today (3 Oct 2009) I updated to the very latest version hoping the problem might have been solved by ZA itself, but the crippling behaviour remains identical to that described above. I now have the following versions:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.0.114.000
    TrueVector version:9.0.114.000
    Driver version:9.0.114.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.1.33
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:994271392
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.36.15
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.36.15
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 03.895

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by robster; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Title wasn't clear when viewed in forum

Default Re: Virtualization cripples IE8, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robster View Post
    What should I do? Return to a previous stable version or continue running this 'buggy' version with virtualization disabled? Does this represent a major security risk? Please advise!

By the way, today (3 Oct 2009) I updated to the very latest version hoping the problem might have been solved by ZA itself, but the crippling behaviour remains identical to that described above. I now have the following versions:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    For what it counts ZAX 9 works great here without any conflict.

You have to follow up with ZA technical support. This is the only way to properly troubleshoot your issue, get the problem logged and escalate to developers or to proceed to a refund if everything else fails.

Link to support in my signature. Contact them when they are online.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

robster Guest

Thumbs up Re: Virtualization cripples IE8, etc.

Thanks for your reply, Fax.
    I believe the issue may have been solved. I contacted Technical Support Chat (are they really human or just softbots?) and the advice was to reset ZAES (by holding down Ctrl-Shift, right clicking on ZA tray icon, choosing 'reset', and then restarting). I did so and ... back to square one! All my painstakingly established, lovingly cherished, and carefully backed up program control settings were gone in a flash.
    Yet now, to my delight, IE8 and Windows Explorer are functioning 100% with virtualization enabled. I must have inadvertently created my own 'bug' -- a disastrous program control setting that nobbled me bleedin' browser! Anyway, I shall now proceed with great caution ...

Default Re: Virtualization cripples IE8, etc.

Good!
    Glad to hear the issue is resolved with the help of support.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information