Thread: Permission not asked for

loyall Guest

Cool Permission not asked for

I originally posted this is the Installation forum, but I believe it more properly belongs in the Access forum. Pardon me.

As a long time user of ZA free I am very used to being asked permission the first time an application tries to access the internet. I recently upgraded to ZA free version 8.0.298. This newer version seems to allow some of my applications access to the internet with out asking my permission. For example Spybot Search and Destroy appears in my ZA program control list with four ?'s. In prior versions ?'s meant that ZA would generate a popup asking my permission to access the internet. ZA8 free allows to Spybot to access the internet without asking my permission, and the blue ?'s are not changed to green check marks.
    If asked I would grant Spybot permission to connect to the internet to update itself, but it bothers me that my permission is not asked, and the two of the blue ?'s do not change to green check marks. Can someone please explain why this either should or should not worry me?
    I am running Win XP home sp3

loyall Guest

Default Re: Permission not asked for

Isn't there someone who is could assist me with ZA permission popups?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: AutoLearn

loyall, right click your ZA tray icon > click "Help" = your UserGuide = this will explain the most basic settings and adjustments, and how to use your ZA firewall.

Go to "Index" in the middle of 'Contents, Index, Search' tabs in upper menu. Find and click Display for: Auto-Lean, Autolearn security setting and program controls.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Auto-learn is to reduce the number of ZA alerts, because in the past years 'many' average users would often complain about the plethora of ZA alerts and would not know what to do. Auto-learn is their solution. Read the UserGuide and understand it, yes.
    You want more ZA alerts/ increased security - put firewall settings at "maximum/ or high" it's all've been explained. There are also 'log' adjustments you may be able to make. Read the Help files, easy.

And as usual with ZA firewalls - it's good to customize our program list as we like, yes.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    NaiveMelody NYC - 10-7-09 - Abracadabra - The Steve Miller Band
    Last edited by naivemelody; October 7th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

loyall Guest

Unhappy Re: Permission not asked for

Dear Naivemelody,
    As a long time user I am familiar with the program settings, and I familiarized myself with the changes in the newest free version. I believe you are not correct about Smart Defense Advisor and Auto-learn features. According to the ZA Help utility, they are not included in the ZA free version. That is fine with me because I want to manually give program permissions.
    My program control setting is the default setting, Medium, which should mean that programs must ask for internet access and server rights.
    The problem I am experiencing in that ZA free is automatically granting permissions in some cases to programs that I don't recognize. Why am I experiencing this anomalous behavior? And even after automatic permission has been given, the program control display shows blue ?'s which should mean I receive a popup, but I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by loyally View Post
    Dear Naivemelody,
    As a long time user I am familiar with the program settings, and I familiarized myself with the changes in the newest free version. I believe you are not correct about Smart Defense Advisor and Auto-learn features. According to the ZA Help utility, they are not included in the ZA free version. That is fine with me because I want to manually give program permissions.
    My program control setting is the default setting, Medium, which should mean that programs must ask for INTERNET access and server rights.
    The problem I am experiencing in that ZA free is automatically granting permissions in some cases to programs that I don't recognize. Why am I experiencing this anomalous behavior? And even after automatic permission has been given, the program control display shows blue ?'s which should mean I receive a pop up, but I do not.

Sorry, we are All users here in this Forum, Customer Support and Tech Support do not Monitor this Forum..

There are several things that may have caused your problem..

A.) your difficulty may be due to a Corrupted ZA Config Database..
    If you are using a Fairly new Version..

ZA has Incorporated a new way to Reset Database files so users don't need to go into Safe mode.

To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

B.) You may have Other Security Programs installed that are conflicting with or Preventing the Changes to ZoneAlarm program Control.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

loyall Guest

Dear GeorgeV,
    I reset ZA8 free as you suggested. It appears to have solved my problem. ZA now seems to be working as I would have expected. It now asks permission for programs to access the internet or act as server. Thank you for your help. I consider this issue resolved.

Default [ReSolved] Permission not asked for ZA Free

Quote Originally Posted by loyall View Post
    Dear GeorgeV,
    I reset ZA8 free as you suggested. It appears to have solved my problem. ZA now seems to be working as I would have expected. It now asks permission for programs to access the internet or act as server. Thank you for your help. I consider this issue resolved.

Than you for your Feedback..

Since your issue is Resolved, I'll close this Trend..

Please start a New Trend if you have further issues..

Thank you..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information