Thread: Spybot Search & Destroy

freebee Guest

Unhappy Spybot Search & Destroy

When I booted up my PC this morning, I found that all of the files and folders in my C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy directory had vanished! Is this anything to do with ZA? I recently updated to v9.1 and have had nothing but problems ever since. Has anybody else seen this one? Thanks!

bunnyfugger Guest

Default Re: Spybot Search & Destroy

Quote Originally Posted by freebee View Post
    When I booted up my PC this morning, I found that all of the files and folders in my C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy directory had vanished! Is this anything to do with ZA? I recently updated to v9.1 and have had nothing but problems ever since. Has anybody else seen this one? Thanks!

Hi Freebee,

Not heard of anything like this before. What makes you suspect that ZA caused it?

It's possibly caused by malware stopping you deploying SpyBot to clean the infection. For what it's worth, my approach would be to scan for malware as per instructions here http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448.

If you're having a great number of problems with ZA then reinstallation would be the way to go. Details of how to fully uninstall and reinstall properly are given on this forum.

Could you post back results with the versions of ZA and Windows you're using and whether the latter is up to date, this may give a clue to why you're experiencing problems.

Regards,
    Last edited by bunnyfugger; November 11th, 2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Wrong link to clean-up info.

freebee Guest

It's just that since I "upgraded" my ZA software to v9.1 last Friday, I've had several problems: false positives, warnings to leave "safe" websites immediately, gmail slowed to an unusable crawl, and now this.

I've spent hours uninstalling and reinstalling software, including ZA itself, to try to resolve the issues. Apparently, the gmail problem has now been accepted as a bug, but no permanent solution has yet been offered.

I used Spybot yesterday to perform a full scan. When I booted the PC this morning, the Spybot directory was completely empty of files. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence.

I've removed all traces (that I could find) of Spybot from the PC. I've already run a scan with Ad-Aware, and I'm now running a full scan with ZA.

I'm using XP Pro SP3, and everything is fully up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by freebee View Post
    I used Spybot yesterday to perform a full scan. When I booted the PC this morning, the Spybot directory was completely empty of files. It just seems to be too much of a coincidence.
    No, ZA cannot and does not remove SbybotS&D.
    If you have a valid license you should report the various issues you have directly to ZA. They are not monitoring this board, all users here.

Link to ZA support in my signature.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information