Thread: Installation of Force Field without knowing about it ...

Default Installation of Force Field without knowing about it ...

I installed ZASS version 9.0.0.083 (this was a fresh install as I did it after having completely uninstalled version 8). I now see that Force Field has also been installed, as
    (i) it appears as process (ForceField.exe) when opening the task manager
    (ii) I see that a CheckPoint subdirectory has been created in the "Program Files" directory, and it contains ForceField files;
    (iii) when logging off, I sometime see a message telling that ForceField needs to close ... and then, if it does not close properly (which why I see the message), Im' asked to close it manually.

I also noticed that FireFox sometimes does not start (unless I do a log off/log on), and I read that ForceField and FireFox may no coexist nicely.

How did ForceField installed it-self ?All I agreed upon when installing ZASS was to install the ZA toolbar in IE and FireFox, but I almost never use IE and I disabled it in FireFox as it caused problems with loading certain pages.

How can I uninstall ForceField (I see no short cut in the Start -> Programs > ZoneAlarm folder and no icon or entry in "Add or Remove Programs" applet of the Control Panel.

Default Re: Installation of Force Field without knowing about it ...

Hi!
    please report to support, many have problems with the toolbar and it would be useful to know how to disable it.

I think you can deselect the toolbar at install but please check with support and post back.

Thank you!!
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

OK.
    I did as suggested and got the following answer:
    - uninstall ZA (using the tool)
    - reinstall ZA paying attention to uncheck the option to install the toolbar.
    It is simple ... but not very efficient in terms of time... I'll try when I have some time.
    Regards.

Great, thanks!
    So the toolbar can be avoided only if unchecked at install. Good to know.

Thank you again for your time, I am sure this information will be useful to other users.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

phoenixgtr Guest

I can add the following: the toolbar can be disabled in Firefox under Tools->Add-ons.
    It shows up along with the other FF add-ons in the list with the option to disable. Restart Firefox and that's it.
    In IE if you right-click on the toolbar area and uncheck the ZA toolbar it will ask you if you want to disable.
    In both cases there is also the option to re-enable if you change your mind.
    I hope this info helps...

Thank you for this post.
    Indeed, the toolbar can be disabled from FireFox (and Idid it), but I did not know that it can also be disabled frim IE.
    I'll give a try and keep you posted to find out whether this also solves the problem of preventing FireFox to start.
    This will be in a few days because I'm travelling.

Thread Information