Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown Programs?

Tori123 Guest

Default Unknown Programs?

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but i was looking at my list of programs and i have things listed like MSI2F.tmp,MSI3E.tmp,ns18.tmp,ns1.tmp,ns22.tmp does anyone know what these are? and what should i do with them, should i block them?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Unknown Programs?

Hi!
    the only way to check these files is to upload them to a scanner, for example, www.virustotal.com.

You can google the names, however this can generate false positives. A file name can be good and bad, the name is not a good reference.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Tori123 Guest

i googled them nothing really came up and i cant find them anywhere on my computer the only place is i see them is listed in zonealarm program list, does it mean they are still there even though i cant find them because i done a disc cleanup yesterday?

Hi!
    right click --> Properties. If you get an error they are not there anymore.

Cheers,
    Fax

Tori123 Guest

Sorry to sound dumb but right click where? because when i right click thier name in zonealarm it just say remove or add program and obviously i cant right click the files because i cant find them in my computer.
    Sorry.

naivemelody Guest

Lightbulb Re: Unknown Programs?

Tori123, you name your post 'unknown programs?' did you ever see and read the thread just below yours ( the top post in this board- previously) "How can I remove programs in program control panel" > click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=70815 .

".tmp" = are usually temp files that are made when you've just installed any new software, downloaded a program, upgraded/ updated anything - these are temporary codes/ files that a pc creates, and later is not needed and can be 'usually' deleted - by you the user.

Depending on what ZA product you have (please always list your ZA firewall product, your OS - XP SP2/ 3, or Vista SP1/ 2, and the version number of your ZA firewall product. 8.0.298, 9.0., etc.) - you may still have cache cleaner that will actually clean up the files after you have 'only removed the names off your ZA program control panel' [ it's explained in my post that I mentioned above] or you can use your browser's clean-up of temp files. etc. Again there are explanaions from and by Microsoft/ Firefox, etc. on how and what to do exactly.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    If you want a recommendation for a 'cache cleaner' = clean-up your pc of old temp files (this will actully clear-out/ remove/ delete these types of old unused/ un-needed files)...

Cache cleaner: in most browsers IE7/8, Firefox, etc. there are controls, settings where you can also clean the cache/ cookies/ history, temp files, etc.

Recommended by most Guru/ Senior members - you can obtain the "free" CCLeaner. (I use this myself - it has more options/ settings and will do extra activities to help clean up pc's.)

Click here > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=70447__________________________________________________ ________
    NaiveMelody NYC 10-10-09 - All The Things She Said - t.A.T.u.
    Last edited by naivemelody; October 10th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

Tori123 Guest

Hi naivemelody, thank you so much for your help and advice, im sorry i never listed my details of what zonealarm i was using etc. i just sort of charged in wondering what these program were.
    I read the other thread and it was very helpful and i followed your advice and done a reset so my programs list will be new and also yeterday i did do a cleanup with ccleaner and i noticed it deleted .tmp files.
    So Thank you again!
    And Thank you to Fax too who was trying to help me earlier in the thread.

You're welcome!
    the right click was obviously within ZA program control, the window where you found those entries. Where else should they be?

Cheers,
    Fax

Tori123 Guest

Hey Fax just to let you know when i clicked on the program in zonealarm i was looking at the entry detail at the bottom and the file name and i was looking in the location that was shown c:\windows etc. and thats where i couldn't find them.

euh?
    My original instruction were: right click and select properties.

This means:

1. You see a file you see in ZA program control. Yes?
    2. Right click on the file
    3. Properties
    4. You will know exactly where the file is located or get an error if the file is not anymore there

Cheers,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information