Thread: Advice for Thunderbird protection

miniyeti Guest

Default Advice for Thunderbird protection

Hi all,

Since ZA has decided to remove inbound MailSafe in version 9.x, I no longer have any protection for my incoming email (I use Thunderbird as an email client).

Previous versions of ZASS have saved my neck on more than a few occasions with its inbound MailSafe, but now I feel that my email is left wide open.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to safeguard my email? I'd rather not install a second anti-virus product on top of ZASS just for email protection for fear of software conflict.

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: Advice for Thunderbird protection

Ehuh? ZASS or ZAX or ZA AV scan all e-mail on access (i.e. when you open them). You are perfectly safe. Inbound mail scan only filter per extension.
    Check thunderbird help, you should be able to do the same. With outlook is ON by default.

The free outlook express does this by default jpg and executable files are hided to the user. Thunderbird should do the same like warning you before opening an attachment.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 10th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

miniyeti Guest

Hi fax,

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think this is the case... I asked this same question to a friend who's a digital security consultant. He just ran a test on two machines: one with v8.0.400.020 and one with v9.0.114.000. Both have Thunderbird installed.

The v8 PC has inbound MailSafe turned ON; the v9 PC doesn't have this feature.

He then sent an email to both machines with code that "mimics" virus behavior. That email never made it to the inbox of PC with v8 (he received a ZASS message saying something about an email being quarantined). The PC with v9 DID receive the email in its inbox.

Will ZASS stop the virus from running when a user tries to open the email? I'd much prefer v8 where an infected email never even makes it to my inbox!

Quote Originally Posted by miniyeti View Post
    That email never made it to the inbox of PC with v8
    Not possible, sorry. ZA 8 does not remove any message.
    ZA incoming security just rename attachments. Cannot remove e-mails.

Outlook express free does this by default. I am sure Thunderbird have something similar like warning users when opening attachments.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 10th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information