Thread: Sleep/Resume & Mapped Drives

jeffdoo Guest

Default Sleep/Resume & Mapped Drives

I have a major problem across all of my computer since before the current ZA 9.x release I'm using so I assume I'm missing something.

Current configuration(s):

Windows 7 (x64) & ZA 9.0.114
    Windows Vista (x86) & ZA 8.x

The computers all work great, but the instant they go to sleep and are later awoken/resumed I lose all of my network mapped drives. With Windows 7 when I open explorer it just hangs and never display even my local drives. With Vista I can at least see and access my local drives but if I click any network drives it hangs. The only way to get back my network drives is to RESET the Vista computer, I'm not certain about the Win 7 because I'm typing from that computer now. Vista is unable to complete shutdown once attempting to access a mapped drive after resuming from sleep.

I honestly thought this was BIOS or driver issue for a LOOOONG time, but now it's clearly a Zone Alarm problem. I've been using Win 7 without Zone Alarm perfectly, sleeping, resuming, hibernating, resuming, etc. This afternoon I installed ZA 9.0.114 not giving it a second thought.... I came back after dinner and all of my network drive problems have returned!

Please, what am I doing wrong?!?!

Motherboard doesn't matter, ones a Gigabyte AM2 the other is Abit IP35-Pro Intel Quad... I've even stopped using the onboard NICs and switched the Abit to an Intel PCI Gigabit card. The problem persists.....

All computers use DHCP but have "fixed" addresses, the IP is assigned by a combination MAC address/hostname lookup.

Everything else works, AIM, eMail, Firefox... it's just the network drive shares and that really make the computers impossible to use.

Thanks!

- Jeff

jeffdoo Guest

Default Re: Sleep/Resume & Mapped Drives

After I completed posting the above message I took the time to attempt "restarting" Windows 7.... same exact problem as Windows Vista... hangs @ "Logging Off" and I'm left with no choice but to RESET the computer. I left the "Logging Off" message up for over 20 minutes and nothing happened, just a bunch of disk activity.

Really hoping someone has an answer.

Thanks!

- Jeff

illpoetic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdoo View Post
    After I completed posting the above message I took the time to attempt "restarting" Windows 7.... same exact problem as Windows Vista... hangs @ "Logging Off" and I'm left with no choice but to RESET the computer. I left the "Logging Off" message up for over 20 minutes and nothing happened, just a bunch of disk activity.

Really hoping someone has an answer.

Thanks!

- Jeff
    Exactly what you have put here, I'm having and it didn't happen until I put that update Zone Alarm bugged me about I must patch the system. Now I get this same exact issue, the mapped drives freezes explorer, you can't quit it and continue on, you certainly can't restart/shutdown without physically powering down. It must be Zone Alarm. I just got my new computer and it was fine until I put this version. Any answer from support yet?

zaxjoe Guest

I am running Windows 7 64bit with ZoneAlarm Extreme 9.1.008 and having the exact same problems described above, every single one exactly! I'm tired of this, ~~SNIP~~. It's demoralizing having to reset or manually shut down my both of my new computers every time it wakes up or I want to logoff or restart! ~~Snip~~.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 8th, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: The problems are on your Computer configuration, not in ZoneAlarm.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxjoe View Post
    I am running Windows 7 64bit with ZoneAlarm Extreme 9.1.008 and having the exact same problems described above, every single one exactly! I'm tired of this, please fix this bug. It's demoralizing having to reset or manually shut down my both of my new computers every time it wakes up or I want to logoff or restart! Please Zone Labs, correct this issue soon!
    Hi!
    sorry no ZA staff in here only users.
    If you have a valid license, you can contact the ZA official technical support, free of charge, at the link in my signature.
    Note that they are closed on weekends.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information