Thread: ZA PRO 8.0.298 to 9.0.114 on XP-- should I upgrade or full install?

joe_kane Guest

Default ZA PRO 8.0.298 to 9.0.114 on XP-- should I upgrade or full install?

I'm currently running ZA PRO 8.0.298. on Windows XP SP3.
    I've been monitoring the upgrade reports; I see there have been some (but not massive) issues, I think most were running/upgrading extreme security though. I'm running and upgrading ZA PRO.

I've been here before on past version upgrades, so I figured I'd ask: Do you recommend the 'upgrade' procedure, or should I do the full uninstall/reinstall on XP to get to 9.0.114?

Is there a best practice upgrade for this particular case?

Thumbs up Re: ZA PRO 8.0.298 to 9.0.114 on XP-- should I upgrade or full install?

Quote Originally Posted by joe_kane View Post
    I'm currently running ZA PRO 8.0.298. on Windows XP SP3.
    I've been monitoring the upgrade reports; I see there have been some (but not massive) issues, I think most were running/upgrading extreme security though. I'm running and upgrading ZA PRO.

I've been here before on past version upgrades, so I figured I'd ask: Do you recommend the 'upgrade' procedure, or should I do the full uninstall/reinstall on XP to get to 9.0.114?

Is there a best practice upgrade for this particular case?

Yes.. If Changing to different ZA Type: ZAP to ZASS or ZAES then a Uninstall of Old and Clean Install of New is Recomended.

A.) since your Upgrading frpm ZAPro to a new upgrade of ZAPro, It is usually Safe to Upgrade over the Old ZAP install.. (instructions at bottom of Post)

B.) However, there has been Lots of Changes to ZAPro 9.0.114.000 since your old version ZA PRO 8.0.298.000

In this case You may be better off doing a Clean Install..

ZoneAlarm Pro version 9.0.114.000
    • Browser security fixes:
      • Fixed: Unable to install Adobe Flash Player add-on under Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 in Internet mode
      • Fixed: Unable to install No Script add-on for Firefox when virtualization is enabled
      • Fixed: Communication with Smart Defense Advisor.

• Other fixes:
      • Fixed: AV DAT version is correctly refreshed after an AV update
    ZoneAlarm Pro version 9.0.112.000
    • Browser security fixes:
      • Fixed: Not possible to type in Internet Explorer (IE) 7 in Private browsing mode
      • Fixed: System stops responding after opening PDF file in IE 7 and 8 on XP when virtualization is on

• Compatibility and Stability improvements:
      • Fixed: Blue screen crash after starting IE 7 (if ForceField is set to manual startup)
      • Fixed: Performance problems when using iTunes
      • Fixed: Screen freezes during ZoneAlarm installation or configuration in some cases

• Other fixes:
      • Fixed: Adding a firewall rule to block a specific hostname blocked all traffic
    ZoneAlarm Pro version 9.0.083.000
    • New Browser Security:
      • Advanced Download Protection:
        • Detects the latest zero-day threats in downloads that you initiate-before they reach your computer
        • Includes heuristic analysis and program check
        • Can run and analyze download behavior in a virtual environment if necessary
      • Spy site detection
      • Signature and heuristic phishing detection
      • Website safety check and rating

• Program control features to stop advanced security bypass attacks:
      • Timing attack protection
      • Service control manager protection (not supported on 64-bit and Windows 7)

• Other enhancements:
      • Many performance improvements
      • Reduced number of unnecessary alerts
      • Windows 7 ready (Free compatibility update to run on Windows 7 when it is released)

Note: To serve our customers who have a need for a streamlined high-end firewall product, especially to complement an existing anti-virus program, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall no longer includes the anti-spyware feature. To further streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have also been removed with this release.
    ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.400.020
    • Firewall Enhancements for the High level setting:
      • Service Control Manager (SCM) monitoring to catch drivers being launched
      • Raw disk access detection added to catch malware that tries to open the kernel memory directly
    • Installation:
      • Cleaner uninstall
      • Automated Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade option
      • Faster upgrade installations
      • Vista Service Pack 2 support
    • Fixed Issues:
      • Incompatibility issues with Remote Desktop connections have been resolved.
      • Incompatibility issues with Cisco VPN have been resolved.
    • Other Enhancements:
      • Email security now supports 64bit Vista, IMAP accounts and the Windows Mail client
      • Stability and performance improvements
    ZoneAlarm Pro version 8.0.298.000
    • Vista 64-bit compatible
    • Improved performance during computer startup, shutdown and operation
    • Addressed specific stability and quality issues
    • SmartDefense Advisor (automatic program configuration service) improved to provide more secure, quieter operation
    ================================================== ==

*** The simplest procedure for Upgrading ZAPro. :

1.Download the Latest ZAP installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista)

ZAP http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

Good Luck..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

joe_kane Guest

Default Re: ZA PRO 8.0.298 to 9.0.114 on XP-- should I upgrade or full install?

GeorgeV,

Thanks for the prompt response and procedures, much appreciated.

Last question> assuming I do the full uninstall/reinstall, can I still restore my backed-up settings from the prior version of ZAPRO?

(Is ZAPRO 9.x smart enough to parse and import the majority of settings from the ZAPRO 8.x XML settings backup?)

Quote Originally Posted by joe_kane View Post
    GeorgeV,

Thanks for the prompt response and procedures, much appreciated.

Last question> assuming I do the full uninstall/reinstall, can I still restore my backed-up settings from the prior version of ZAPRO?

(Is ZAPRO 9.x smart enough to parse and import the majority of settings from the ZAPRO 8.x XML settings backup?)

Yes you can, But due the significant changes in the structure and features in the new 9.0.114, (see my previous post for list of all the changes) if you Restore your old saved 8.0 Setting
    there is a Possibility of Corruption of the New Install..

Personally, I would divorce the Old setup and Start out Fresh and New
    to insure no problems from the old version continue with the New version..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 11th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

joe_kane Guest

GeorgeV,

That is sage advice. Thank you.

Thread Information