Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red/White Flashing Icon on Top of ZA Icon in Task Bar at Right Lower Corner

Default Re: Red/White Flashing Icon on Top of ZA Icon in Task Bar at Right Lower Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rasxyz777 View Post
    hello frebna,
    I have the same red/withe Flashing Ico, did you ever figure it out? What is the answer?

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

If you would Describe your Computer Setup/Windows OS Version and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having

When Reporting a Problem, it is PREFERED that you Start your Very Own Trend..

As a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem,
    the Guideline Rules,ask each User to
    Please start their own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.

This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem, When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Daintev Guest

Default Re: Red/White Flashing Icon on Top of ZA Icon in Task Bar at Right Lower Corner

I have the same thing happen to me. I have tracked it down to the firewall. Check out the log "Alerts & Logs" -> "Log Viewer" and change the alert type to Firewall. Every time I have the red&white icon flash I have a new entry in the firewall log. I receive these quite frequently (up to one a second sometimes) and mostly when I am actively using the internet.

The red&white mini icon shows itself in the same position as the arrow does when ZA is downloading an update. As the red&white icon flashes it is very difficult to get a screen shot. This icon does not appear in the help or other system documentation.

When I click on "More info" for an entry in the firewall log I am shown:

"ZoneAlarm Security Suite has successfully stopped local network or Internet traffic from reaching your computer. No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.

What happened?
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite blocked traffic to port 64804 on your machine from port 63752 on a remote computer whose IP address is 87.244.94.245. This communication attempt may have been a port scan, or simply one of the millions of unsolicited commercial or network control messages that are routinely sent out over the Internet. Such unsolicited messages are often called Internet background noise.

Should I be concerned?
    This alert should not be a cause for concern. ZoneAlarm Security Suite has protected your machine according to the firewall settings you have selected.

What should I do?
    You do not need to do anything about this alert unless one of your programs is not functioning correctly or is unable to complete a task. In that case, you can temporarily lower your security level to medium to allow traffic to reach your computer. . Additional Program configuration options can be found in the help files."

Looking at the Entry Detail at the bottom most of the entries have nothing to do with my internet usage and come from all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Daintev View Post
    I have the same thing happen to me.
    Out of curiosity, could you right click the ZA icon near the clock, select about, push on copy to clipboard and then paste it here. I think you are running a very old version of ZA. This icon is not present in recent versions.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Daintev Guest

I am running XP SP2. The XP firewall is disabled. My ZA about is:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:1013425568
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

I have played around with the log settings and it does not affect the this red/white icon flashing. I have noticed that it flashes more frequently than firewall logs entries are added.

It is very difficult but I am trying to capture a picture of the icon but it is only visible for less than a second.

Like this one?

Daintev Guest

Yes that's it. This is one I captured.

Last edited by Daintev; March 7th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Last time I asked no one has any idea about this icon. I guess is a result of ZA incorrect/corrupted settings.

Try to reset your ZA settings:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore any previous settings keep the defaults. Do you still see the icon?

Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 7th, 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Daintev Guest

Done. After the reconfiguration (after the first reboot) it prompted for another reboot but my pc had significant problems doing that. I waited 10 minutes but had to end processes before it continued. I am about to start a ultra deep scan.

The good news is that I have not seen that red/white icon since! I cannot guarantee that it hasn't appeared when I haven't been looking but it is very promising.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

I dug thru my old files and papers and found out what this is.

That icon used to mean that ZA had blocked something but that the current settings prevented a full sized alert from being shown.

It probably still does, I would be willing to bet that it was never programmed out.

This is from Version 5.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information