Thread: Hosts file

Cartman Guest

Default Hosts file

Using ZA Antivirus (v9.0)

I have the program control slider set to maximum and (after pressing the custom button next to it) in the OSFirewall tab of the "Custom Program Control Settings" window, the Enable OSFirewall option is ticked, and the "change hosts file" option is set to "ask" with the blue question mark.

The problem is, that when the hosts file is edited, ZA just lets it through without asking. Even when I set it to deny (big red X) it does exactly the same.

The OSFirewall logfile registers the change when I edit the hosts file, but has it as "allowed" and down as a "personal policy."

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but if I set the policy to ask, shouldn't ZA ask me if the edit is allowed and not just allow it and register the edit as allowed due to personal policy?

Am I missing something here? Any advice will be greatly appreciate

jarip Guest

Default Re: Hosts file

Same thing here, but nothing in the log. Changing the hosts file is possible even when the setting is Ask or Deny.
    _______
    Win XP SP3

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.0.114.000
    TrueVector version:9.0.114.000
    Driver version:9.0.114.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.1.33
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:994936928
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

Edit: By mistake I was editing "hosts.txt" in the same directory. Changing "hosts" is prevented by ZASS.
    Last edited by jarip; October 13th, 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Correction

Hi!
    Please report to the ZA technical support (link in my signature) so that it can be logged and troubleshooted and eventually escalated to developers.

Please note that, if you need to lock the hostfile, you can do it from the advanced settings of the ZA firewall section.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Cartman Guest

I did so yesterday before posting here (Still waiting for a reply) but thought I'd ask in here too, just in case I'd missed some trivial but unintuitive configuration setting somewhere.

I was aware that it was possible to lock-out the hosts file from the advanced settings of the firewall section, but I feel that this is not the point... the point being that an important element of the OSFirewall is simply not functioning. I wasn't really after a workaround, I was after proper functionality.

Thank you for your replies, though, I appreciate them greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I wasn't really after a workaround, I was after proper functionality.
    Cannot be dealt here (no ZA staff only users). Follow up with official ZA support. Contact them when they are online, so you will get feedback on the spot.

Post back if you find a solution.

Cheers,
    Fax

By the way, I was testing the feature and it works.

Are you perhaps using MS Notepad to edit? If yes, then you need to UNCHECK "Microsoft Catalog Utilization" (ZA program control). This setting supersede the others and trust all MS processes automatically.

Cheers,
    Fax

Cartman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Are you perhaps using MS Notepad to edit? If yes, then you need to UNCHECK "Microsoft Catalog Utilization" (ZA program control). This setting supersede the others and trust all MS processes automatically.
    Yes I was, and following your post, I unchecked "Microsoft Catalogue Utilisation" and that fixed the issue

I don't suppose you know what the recommended settings in the "Custom Program Control Settings" window are, then?

Thanks again for all replies

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    I don't suppose you know what the recommended settings in the "Custom Program Control Settings" window are, then? Thanks again for all replies
    Recommended for what? Security? day to day use? The defaults should be a good compromise between usability and security.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information