Thread: Renew time for ZASS, what about Extreme

diverjer Guest

Default Renew time for ZASS, what about Extreme

Any advice for me out there?

For 3 years now I have had the ZASS, prior to that the free ZA. It is time for renewal, I have 17 days left.

I noticed on the renewal I have an option to get Extreme at no additional cost above the ZASS cost. Sounds good, but do I really need it and does it come with headaches?

I am somewhat a security nut and retired Data Center Manager from the State of Kansas. I don't seem to have many issues with ZASS, actually none last year. I don't like to be on what I call the bleeding edge, some call it the leading edge. I do a lot of very critical stuff via internet. Really really critical! I use FF with the noscript addon for a browser and XP pro which is current with all updates. Also run the free Malwarebytes. Do images (real images) of system every week. I have 4 GB main memory and 3.4 GHz processor. When Windows 7 SP1 comes out I plan on rebuilding system and going to it, although I really don't want to. My wife, the only other user of the PC has tolerated ZASS popup asking permission. A side note, I bet 95% of people I set up with ZA stop using it as they just don't want those pop up questions. Sad!

Now my question:
    Do I really need anything in the Extreme package that won't be in ZASS?

I didn't proof read this and am a poor typist as well as speller. And on top of that I abuse the English language.

Default Re: Renew time for ZASS, what about Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by diverjer View Post
    Any advice for me out there?

For 3 years now I have had the ZASS, prior to that the free ZA. It is time for renewal, I have 17 days left.

I noticed on the renewal I have an option to get Extreme at no additional cost above the ZASS cost. Sounds good, but do I really need it and does it come with headaches?

I am somewhat a security nut and retired Data Center Manager from the State of Kansas. I don't seem to have many issues with ZASS, actually none last year. I don't like to be on what I call the bleeding edge, some call it the leading edge. I do a lot of very critical stuff via internet. Really really critical! I use FF with the noscript addon for a browser and XP pro which is current with all updates. Also run the free Malwarebytes. Do images (real images) of system every week. I have 4 GB main memory and 3.4 GHz processor. When Windows 7 SP1 comes out I plan on rebuilding system and going to it, although I really don't want to. My wife, the only other user of the PC has tolerated ZASS popup asking permission. A side note, I bet 95% of people I set up with ZA stop using it as they just don't want those pop up questions. Sad!

Now my question:
    Do I really need anything in the Extreme package that won't be in ZASS?

I didn't proof read this and am a poor typist as well as speller. And on top of that I abuse the English language.

1.) If you are Happy with ZA Security Suite, you may be better off staying with ZASS..

2.) however, if you do a lot of Browsing, and clicking on Free offers or Popup that show up while browsing, then the ForceField Virtual Browsing
    Feature in ZA Extreme may be for you..

Some Users have a difficult time adjusting to the New Browser features and security provided by Za Exctreme..

Here is a Comparison chart..

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-software.htm
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

diverjer Guest

George, thanks for the response.

Yes I am happy with ZASS and yes I could also adjust to even more security. I use NoScripts and that has small popup blocking scripts in almost every screen. I like NoScripts and everyone else I know just can't deal with it. Other popups, that get through my software get closed via the task bar as I know regardless what shows up in a pop up it doesn't actually mean it will close etc.

Getting the wife trained, don't know if she is up to something else yet or not. I have thought about sandboxie, do you know if that is an issue with ZA products. I understand things can have a problem working together. Also understand the impossible task of even trying to make them all work together. However if sandboxie really is a viritual machine, then it should be transparent what is running within it.

ACtually I trust ZASS enough I pay for it when I can get McAfee SS free through Cox cable.

I am leaning toward Extreme, but think I will hold off on sandboxie.

Do you know if I can downgrade from Extreme to ZASS?

Quote Originally Posted by diverjer View Post
    George, thanks for the response.

Yes I am happy with ZASS and yes I could also adjust to even more security.

*** SNIP ***

Do you know if I can downgrade from Extreme to ZASS?
    If you already purchased ZA Extreme, you can Contact ZA Customer Support and ask them to let your Downgrade to ZASS (ZASS requires a Different License Key than ZA Extreme..

1.) If you have not Upgraded yet, and you are Happy with ZA Security Suite, you may be better off staying with ZASS..

2.) as for McAfee?

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 15th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

diverjer Guest

Thanks there is no way I would attempt to run the two together, I can just visualize the battle the two would have. That is a case where more is not better.

I do run winpatrol and have read where it may cause problems, it has never caused me any. Being careful, but basically lazy it has some functions I like that really have nothing to do with virus or spam. Doesn't do anything I couldn't do my self, just not all in one place like winpatrol.

Thread Information