Thread: Local Drive Security During File Uploads

Paisley Guest

Default Local Drive Security During File Uploads

I have a query regarding the security of personal files on my C: drive during file uploads to external web sites (such as photos to MySpace, videos to YouTube, file attachments to web-based email providers, on-line file converters, etc.)

Generally when I upload a file a field on the external site will ask for the path on my C: drive to the relevant file (e.g. C:\MyDocuments\photos\picture.jpg) prior to carrying out the upload. It occurred to me that in doing this I must be granting some direct access to my computerís hard drive, and I wondered if (unscrupulous) sites could covertly trawl the drive and extract other files in addition to the ones I specified for upload.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and if the ZoneAlarm firewall would protect against it? For information, my firewall has Internet Zone security set to high, and Trusted Zone set to medium. I use Windows XP and my file folders have remote access disabled.

Default Re: Local Drive Security During File Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
    Does anyone know if this is possible, and if the ZoneAlarm firewall would protect against it?
    No, not possible unless you are uploading into an evil website that will infect (drive-by-donwload) you during the connection.
    Don't worry. Keep you antivirus updated, your OS fully patched, surf safe and you will good.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Paisley Guest

Default Re: Local Drive Security During File Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    No, not possible unless you are uploading into an evil website that will infect (drive-by-donwload) you during the connection.
    Don't worry. Keep you antivirus updated, your OS fully patched, surf safe and you will good.

Cheers,
    Fax
    OK, thanks. But as a non-techie I'm curious as to how the security systems on my computer would know that access is to be given to one file on the hard drive, but not others.

Thread Information