Thread: Steam game in windowed mode crashes pc

madmax61 Guest

Default Steam game in windowed mode crashes pc

I've used ZoneAlarm for a long time, and 2 months ago purchased the Pro version, along with the anti-virus suite (ZoneAlarm Extreme Security).

I've been playing a game (Team fortress 2) via steam (http://store.steampowered.com/) in windowed mode and happily browsed on the web or opened other apps while my game was open successfully for a long time (> 1 year) with the free ZA version and recently using my purchased ZA suite.

However about 2 to 3 weeks ago this all changed and now whenever I play in windowed mode and take focus away from the game it completely freezes my system, and requires a hardware reset.

I've altered settings for both steam.exe and hl2.exe to give them full access, I've tried game mode and nothing seems to help. The windowed mode works perfectly without zonealarm running. I've done the full reset of ZA to make it relearn etc, but no success.

I'm extremely frustrated as this was working fine until recently.

Any assistance is appreciated.

madmax61 Guest

Default Re: Steam game in windowed mode crashes pc

After trying many things and scouring the net, and steam forums I found something in these forums that I tried:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70396

I have turned off Forcefield and this seems to have stopped the crashing.

Whilst this so far has stopped the crashing it isn't an acceptable solution. I've paid for a product in full and if I have to disable stuff to make my game work then clearly I am not getting what I paid for.

Any ideas why this forcefield causes this issue, and how this information might help in resolving the problem?

Cheers,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by madmax61 View Post
    Any ideas why this forcefield causes this issue, and how this information might help in resolving the problem?

Cheers,
    Max
    Try only to disable the antikeylogger protection in ForceField and see if it is enough. Then report to ZA support, here we are all users.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

madmax61 Guest

I tried technical support, which was out of my normal hours, and it sent me to a technical support page , which seemed to be directing me to either here, user forums, or to premium paid support?

Is that right?

madmax61 Guest

Hey fax, I tried re-enabling forcefield, and turning off the checking of keylogging, and the first test so far is that it works.

I will report back in if it stops working.

Thankyou for that suggestion.

Cheers,
    Max

You're welcome!
    If ZA technical support if OFF it should be give the offline form unless its weekend.

Otherwise report to ZA customer support that the form does not work. They are ON 24/7

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information