Thread: Program control options for Java

kenrkenr Guest

Default Program control options for Java

In my Program Control>Programs window I have 20 different items for Java, most of which have a question mark for Trust Level and Access. Why is this? I'm having problems getting Firefox to function properly with certain sites that run Java scripts. Could the problem be with these configurations?

Ken

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Program control options for Java

Quote Originally Posted by kenrkenr View Post
    In my Program Control>Programs window I have 20 different items for Java, most of which have a question mark for Trust Level and Access. Why is this? I'm having problems getting Firefox to function properly with certain sites that run Java scripts. Could the problem be with these configurations?

Ken
    Unlikely, or you'd be getting alerts from Zonealarm asking you to allow or deny. Question marks are always the safest IMHO for new programs (especially if one is not using Auto Smart Defense Advisor), and it will let you know if something is going on. If you see that one of the java components is frequently alerting you for permission, then you know which one is causing the problem. If they are set to question marks and you're not seeing any alerts, then it is unlikely that program control is the problem. It also depends on which ZA product and version you are using. Previous versions had "privacy controls" that included a "mobile control" that could toggle java on and off.

Firefox, too, has the capability of toggling java on and off in the Tools/Options/Content tab. So see if this is set correctly.

Thirdly, the Sun java plugin for Firefox itself can be configured with multiple options that a user should review and set, if that hasn't been done, by opening the Java Console (accessible through Windows Control Panel) and customizing the options (or at least reviewing to see if the defaults are appropriate for you.)

So you might want to share with us which ZA product, the version number, and which Firefox version. But also see if your options setting in Firefox are allowing java, and also the privacy/mobile code settings (if applicable in previous ZA versions) are set to allow java.

Once you get your problem resolved, it might be a good idea for added security to consider a Firefox add-on called NoScript, which allows you to quickly toggle java and javascript controls for each website you visit, or have it remember (whitelist) which websites you need java on. On unknown websites it will block potentially dangerous active content (java, javascript, etc.) unless you permit. It would not be safe to have java enabled all the time; and also javascript is unsafe if surfing to unknown risky websites.

Good luck.
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 21st, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Program control options for Java

Addendum:
    As a test, if you're using an older ZA version that has privacy controls, then you could go to ZA's control panel to Privacy, then to the Main tab and temporarily turn off all 3 of the privacy controls--cookies, ads, mobile code control--refresh your browser (important) and try the website you want to use java again (assuming that's a safe website to be using java, which is up to you). If the java works, then you have narrowed the problem down to the privacy controls settings. You could then customize the ZA privacy settings for that individual website and turn the privacy controls back on.

You'd still have to be sure java is allowed in Firefox options as well.

The Sun java website has a test page to see if java is installed and working correctly, and some recommendations if it isn't.

Also, since you have so many Java items listed in your program control list, I'm wondering if some of them are temporary iinstall files that are not on your system anymore. If so, you can remove the clutter. Right-click on each item and choose "properties". If it's no longer on your system or is in a temp directory, you can then click "remove", or highlight and press delete key. If you delete the wrong one, it's no problem, next time it runs, ZA will put it back in the program control list.
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 21st, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Thread Information