Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Corruption of downloaded set-up files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    bogong Guest

    Default Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    I suspect ZA is corrupting downloaded set-up files meant to update existing programs on my system. The couple I've tried lately, including the update the Checkpoint-initiated message to update my ZA Extreme Security (8.0.298.035), have resulted in (I suspect) corrupted files that typically come up with a box inviting me to choose a program to open the file when I double click on the set-up icon on my desktop where I saved it. I also get error messages like 'Cannot open patch. Refer to program vendor'.

    I've been trying to resolve the ZA update download problem with Checkpoint Technical support with no success so far after implementing three separate fix attempts. The latest attempt to run a system advisor for MS Windows 7 resulted in another 'select a program to open the file' after downloading, leading me to believe something - probably ZA - is corrupting the downloads so that the OS doesn't recognise them as files it can open. I'm running Pentium dual coreprocessor 2.4 with 1gb of RAM and 128gb free memory space. OS is Win XP SP3.

    Any suggestions most welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Thumbs up Re: Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    Quote Originally Posted by bogong View Post
    I suspect ZA is corrupting downloaded set-up files meant to update existing programs on my system. The couple I've tried lately, including the update the Checkpoint-initiated message to update my ZA Extreme Security (8.0.298.035), have resulted in (I suspect) corrupted files that typically come up with a box inviting me to choose a program to open the file when I double click on the set-up icon on my desktop where I saved it. I also get error messages like 'Cannot open patch. Refer to program vendor'.

    I've been trying to resolve the ZA update download problem with Checkpoint Technical support with no success so far after implementing three separate fix attempts. The latest attempt to run a system advisor for MS Windows 7 resulted in another 'select a program to open the file' after downloading, leading me to believe something - probably ZA - is corrupting the downloads so that the OS doesn't recognise them as files it can open. I'm running Pentium dual coreprocessor 2.4 with 1gb of RAM and 128gb free memory space. OS is Win XP SP3.

    Any suggestions most welcome.
    to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

    This Forum exist to allow Volunteer Users to help the Few ZA Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

    A.) It looks like your Download got Corrupted your Installed ZA files The Best Fix for this problem is to Uninstall the Corrupte Version..

    I also get error messages like 'Cannot open patch. Refer to program vendor'.

    This Error Means that Something on your Computer is Corrupting the Download durring the download procces..

    *** Please FOLLOW Step 1.) below Exactly ***


    B.) It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

    We do not know what Type (Free/ZAAV/ZAP/ZASS/ZAES) or Version number (8.0/9.0/9.1) of the ZA your having a problem with

    C.) Checkpoint Tech Support can not help you, Unless you Continue to Comunicate with Tech Support, and Provide Full Details about your Computer and what other Security programs you have installed..

    Here is a best Guess based Only on the Limited information you have provided..

    The simplest procedure is to :

    1.) Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

    (MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista)

    ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

    ZAES http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zaxs/releaseHistory.html

    *** NOTE: if you Do NOT have an older version of ZA installed,
    then Skip to step 5.)

    2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

    3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

    4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

    Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

    Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

    5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

    NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

    To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

    For example, the Following programs do not work well with ZoneAlarm, Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

    Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 4th, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  3. #3
    bogong Guest

    Default Re: Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    Thankyou, Guru GeorgeV for your advice. I acknowledge the difficulties of trying to diagnose problems without being in front of the computer concerned.

    I have started implementing your prescription in that I've cleaned out all traces that I could find of other security programs. I found some lurking in a folder that was trasferred to my present system from a previous system as my old Win98 Drive contents in what I thought was an inactive folder. I've also been delayed ensuring that my system is fully backed up to removable media in case the whole thing 'turns to custard' and I have to go the agony of reconstructing my hard drive. (I don't have a removable hard drive for the purpose so it's a slow process for me)

    However I still have a couple of difficulties, viz: I'm not sure what you mean by your note re 'an older version of ZA installed'. As advised in the original post, my current version is ZAXS V8.0.298.035. Should I proceed to your step 5 without downloading the uninstaller tool?
    I did try downloading the tool from the link that you kindly provided and I don't think that it works, or my machine is corrupting things. The reason is that when I clicked on the link, the download box inviting me to run or save the download failed to give the file a name. This is something that I've noticed on the other troublesome downloads (bar one) in that the box failed to show a name. This suggests to me that the OS is not recognising the file name when starting the download. The usual sequence is that after saving the downlad to my desktop and double clicking the icon, Windows opens a box asking me to choose a program to open the file. Is this a clue as to why my downloads are failing and/or corrupting? Grateful for your views.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default Re: Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    Quote Originally Posted by bogong View Post
    Thankyou, Guru GeorgeV for your advice. I acknowledge the difficulties of trying to diagnose problems without being in front of the computer concerned.

    I have started implementing your prescription in that I've cleaned out all traces that I could find of other security programs. I found some lurking in a folder that was trasferred to my present system from a previous system as my old Win98 Drive contents in what I thought was an inactive folder. I've also been delayed ensuring that my system is fully backed up to removable media in case the whole thing 'turns to custard' and I have to go the agony of reconstructing my hard drive. (I don't have a removable hard drive for the purpose so it's a slow process for me)

    However I still have a couple of difficulties, viz: I'm not sure what you mean by your note re 'an older version of ZA installed'. As advised in the original post, my current version is ZAXS V8.0.298.035. Should I proceed to your step 5 without downloading the uninstaller tool?
    I did try downloading the tool from the link that you kindly provided and I don't think that it works, or my machine is corrupting things. The reason is that when I clicked on the link, the download box inviting me to run or save the download failed to give the file a name. This is something that I've noticed on the other troublesome downloads (bar one) in that the box failed to show a name. This suggests to me that the OS is not recognising the file name when starting the download. The usual sequence is that after saving the downlad to my desktop and double clicking the icon, Windows opens a box asking me to choose a program to open the file. Is this a clue as to why my downloads are failing and/or corrupting? Grateful for your views.

    Thank you for your Feedback..

    I just tried the ZAES Download link with IE8 and the Popup that ask to Save or Download displayed the Correct File name for me..

    I agree with your assumption that maybe some orther program on your computer may be Blocking the Download?

    However, a few users have experienced the same problem when Downloading with FORCEFIELD Virtualization Fully turned on..?

    The Virtualized Window may be blocking the download?

    If Turning OFF Forcefield and Un-checking Virtualize option does not help

    then Please Contact Checkpoint Tech Support with full details of your computer/Windows OS and Version of ZAX..

    Click on the Support link in my Signature..

    Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

  5. #5
    bogong Guest

    Default Re: Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    Thankyou again, Guru GeorgeV.

    Using the link you provided for the ZAXS download proved to be a mini-installer and I wound up with similar problems. However using the ZA Tech Support-supplied link of http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...008_000_en.exe
    and turning off Forcefield during the download. This resulted in a successful download and installation of the latest version of ZAXS. Everything appears to be working correctly again. Many thanks.

    My interaction with ZA Tech Support made no mention of the likelihood of corrupting influences such as residual copies of other security programs on a system or Forcefield being on during the download. I'll make sure that I mention this when next corresponding with them.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The 3rd Coast - South Central Texas
    Posts
    10,465

    Default [Solved] Corruption of downloaded set-up files

    Quote Originally Posted by bogong View Post
    Thankyou again, Guru GeorgeV.

    Using the link you provided for the ZAXS download proved to be a mini-installer and I wound up with similar problems. However using the ZA Tech Support-supplied link of http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...008_000_en.exe
    and turning off Forcefield during the download. This resulted in a successful download and installation of the latest version of ZAXS. Everything appears to be working correctly again. Many thanks.

    .
    Your Welcome..

    Thank you for your feedback..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security


    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •