Thread: [SOLVED] not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Agent.aih

lozzz Guest

Default [SOLVED] not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Agent.aih

Hi, wondering if anyone has come across this baddie.
    I purchased a new HP laptop and transfered my Zonealarm Antivirus across from my desktop (which upon scanning doesnt show this virus). I then setup the internet connection and downloaded Firefox, updated Antivirus, and did Windows update.
    When I did an Ultradeep scan it located the above virus in Setup.exe in one of the folders in
    Programfiles/Installshield installation information.
    I did a complete factory restore from the hidden partition but this time only installed ZA antivirus and did an antivirus update - tthe virus turned up in the same place. So right now I have a new Laptop which I cant really use.
    Does this sound like a False Positive? Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
    Laurie
    Last edited by fax; October 28th, 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Default Re: not-a-virus:FraudTool.Win32.Agent.aih

Hi!
    upload the file to www.virustotal.com and check what other than KAV engines says about the file. If it is just that detection then report the false positive to KAV as indicated here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70505

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lozzz Guest

Hi Fax, thank You for your fast reply. I uploaded the file to Virustotal and it came back with 5 hits - Antiy-AVL, Fortinet, Kaspersky, Panda, ViRobot. I am not familiar with most of them but dont think they use KAV engines so it looks like a real virus. Also when I was uploading it ZA logged it as an active virus and I couldn't quarrantine it. In addition to this I ran ASquared and now have 4traces and 2 trojans.
    As this is a new laptop and I have no data on it and since I was considering putting Win7 on it I wonder if the best course of action would be to format the drive and put the new OS on it. I just dont know quite how to go about it on a laptop though I have done it before for a PC.
    Would this be an effective way of getting rid of this stuff or is there still a risk?
    Thanks for your help

Laurie

lozzz Guest

Sorry, one further question. Is there a place at Zonelabs to submit a file for checking, for instance if it is suspected of being a false positive? I could not find anything on the Zonalarm website.

Cheers
    Laurie

Hi!
    link to submission of false positive has already been given, ZA uses the Kaspersky engine. Follow the link.

For the rest have your system checked by experts such as at bleepingcomputer or spywarehammer. See links here:
    http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lozzz Guest

Thanks again Fax!

Subsequent to lmy last post I have restored the above file and rescanned and ZA no longer clocks the file as a virus. I have done a full scan and direct scan of the file itself with no detection. I presume this means it was a FP and has been amended in the Kaspersky engine.

best regards
    Laurie

Thread Information