Thread: Can't give program rights to windows service

chris_john Guest

Default Can't give program rights to windows service

I'm running ZA Pro Firewall 9.0.114 on Windows XP SP3.

I have a DNS server running - this caches DNS results from internet DNS servers, and also allows me to apply specific DNS for my own network. I have a problem because ZAP blocks my server when it tries to query the internet servers. The log lists the policy which blocks it as "Personal Policy" which doesn't give much info; I don't think I have any personal policies which could be blocking it. If I right click the log entry, "Add to Zone" is greyed out.

The executable ZAP blocks runs as a windows service. There's also a one-off executable (posadis.exe) which runs under a user account; ZAP lists this in Programs, I can configure its rights and it doesn't get blocked.

I want to give the service (posadissrv.exe) rights to access the internet, but ZAP didn't add it to the program list, and when I try to add it manually nothing happens.

I've added an expert firewall rule, Action "allow", source "my computer", "destination "Any", Protocol "DNS" (=port 53, which is what the blocked traffic is on) but this has not helped.

There are too many different internet DNS servers to try adding them to the trusted zone.

Thanks for any help

Chris

chris_john Guest

Default Re: Can't give program rights to windows service

To add to the above, I have also ticked "allow outgoing DNS" for both Zones.

The major oddity is that I can't add the program to the Program Panel

chris_john Guest

Sorry to add to my own thread again, I'm puzzled that over 100 people have looked at it but nobody has responded - maybe I've over-complicated it, or it's a silly question?

I want to allow a program to access servers on the Internet, but I can't get the program name to appear in the Programs section - even if I'm logged in with Admin rights. The program concerned runs as a windows service, but it's the program name which comes up as being blocked, not svchost.exe - any ideas?

If this is a problem nobody else has ever seen, maybe I should try ZA support?

Thanks

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris_john View Post
    I want to give the service (posadissrv.exe) rights to access the internet, but ZAP didn't add it to the program list, and when I try to add it manually nothing happens.

Chris
    I don't know that I can help any, but here's something to check. It'll be up to you to know if it suits the security plans of your system, so proceed at your own risk with knowledge of your own intricacies. What level do you have your Program Control set and in the Custom section do you have a checkmark under "enable services control"? If there is a checkmark there, you might try removing it to disable "services control". Then going back to the program list and seeing if you can add the server .exe file manually. Click "ADD", then a menu of your computer files should pop up; find it by directory in that list and double-click the .exe file name to add it to the file name bar of that popup and click "open". If that installs it in the programs list, then configure the internet access rights you want it to have. If all that is successful, then you might re-try enabling the "services control" again in the custom program controls, and see if it remains functional.

Another thing to check would be to contact Tech Support and be sure that Posadis server is not blacklisted in ZA somehow. When I have had ZA tell me in the log that something was blocked due to "personal policy", it was without either an allow or block, which makes me think ZA preconfigured it to respond in some fashion. They may be able to advise you why you are unable to add it to the programs list and offer you a solution.

Once you add it to the program list, if possible, then you'll have to decide if you still need the special firewall rule. I don't know anything about custom firewall rules, so they make me nervous

You can chat live with Tech Support during the usual daytime business hours.

Good luck.
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 28th, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

chris_john Guest

Smile Re: Can't give program rights to windows service

Quote Originally Posted by critterjoe
    Then going back to the program list and seeing if you can add the server .exe file manually. Click "ADD", then a menu of your computer files should pop up; find it by directory in that list and double-click the .exe file name to add it to the file name bar of that popup and click "open".
    Thanks, Critterjoe. That's what I've been doing, but the file name bar never appeared. But I just had an inspiration; instead of looking under "P" for Posadis (which is how the one-off exe is listed) I've scrolled through the full list (32 screens full) of programs to see if it was listed under some other name - and there it was, under "DNS server application". So I've changed one X to a tick, and all is well. Problem solved.

critterjoe Guest

Congrats that you got it to work. Yes, ZA usually lists by the program or module's "friendly name" rather than the filename of the executable program.

It's perplexing though why you were having trouble with the manual method. From which screen inside the ZA control panel were you trying to click "ADD"? Are you saying that the click button at the bottom of your Program Control program list is non-functional? That nothing happens when you click it?? A popup should open with a directory of your computer. Or are you saying that that interface did popup but there was no way to input the file, either by typing the filename or scrolling through the directory? Could you have been trying the ADD button on the Logs page rather than the Programs page?
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 28th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.

chris_john Guest

Thanks - the Add function worked all the way through, except that the program I'd added didn't seem to appear in the list. In fact, it was appearing, but under D for DNS and not P for posadissrv.exe, so I didn't see it. Since the sister program, posadis.exe was listed under P, it didn't occur to me to look elsewhere.

Thread Information