Thread: black screen, CAPI2 errors in Windows log caused by Zonealarm?

dutchfred Guest

Default black screen, CAPI2 errors in Windows log caused by Zonealarm?

System: Packard Bell, Vista (fully updated), Zonealarm firewall, Avast antviirus.

symptoms:
    -for a longer period (not sure how long) at startup after welcome screen comes a black screen for several seconds, but after that normal functioning.
    -in the last few weeks in some cases the system keeps on hanging in the black screen; the only way out then is ctrl+alt+del (to reboot).
    -sometimes after reboot it happens again, sometimes i get a 'normal' startup.
    -in windows log 'applications' i've found series of CAPI2 - 11 errors back to May 2009

I found out that -in my case- the errors are related to Zonealarm; disabling the Zonealarm firewall results in errorfree booting.
    Instead I tried Windows Firewall, but this caused (many) other problems (failing internet connection), and gives very limited control over what happens 'behind your back'.
    I switched back to Zonealarm, tried all kinds of settings, but i can't get these CAPI2 errors to dissapear.
    QUESTION: best settings for Zonealarm? Is it possible to use it and NOT get CAPI2 errors?

Another interesting link about this problem (but with quite complicated advises) is:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/acdf1b25-dace-4cfc-8a3d-cb961c1031cc

Thanks very much for your reply!
    Fred

mrakki Guest

Unhappy Re: black screen, CAPI2 errors in Windows log caused by Zonealarm?

I have exactly the same problem. Does anyone have any solution to it?

Please help...

Regards
    MrAkki

garywa Guest

Default Re: black screen, CAPI2 errors in Windows log caused by Zonealarm?

Quote Originally Posted by mrakki View Post

Please help...

Regards
    MrAkki
    Sorry, I don't run Vista, but I did find a newer MS forum posting than the one the OP originally posted. Maybe it will provide some additional help:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-3bf146c8c50d

Quote Originally Posted by mrakki View Post

Please help...

Regards
    MrAkki
    Hello mrakki;

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or the world,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

babsV Guest

I'm running a homebuilt machine with win 7 64bit. ZA free. Avast. and not much else for software except the HP software that goes to my printer.

My Capp12 issues were caused by 2 audio devices. I did not install any sound cards. My video card and my onboard sound were at odds. (Who knew!!) I was told at MS answers to disable one of them and VIOLA! no more CAPP 12 errors. May or may not be your problem. Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information