Thread: [Win7 + ZApro 91_008_000] does anyone get same problem with ping?

Hybrid View

akin Guest

Post [Win7 + ZApro 91_008_000] does anyone get same problem with ping?

System: Win7(RTM)
    ZA Version: ZA Pro 91_008_000
    use Win7 PPPoE to connect Internet

1. {ping localhost} or {ping 127.0.0.1} will be lost packet very often.
    not lost all packets, but most...
    but {ping ::1} will not lost packet!!

2. and {ping other Lan IP}
    the first {ping time} will be very high. (like 2x~8x ms) (usually time is <1ms or 1ms)
    but start the second {ping time} will be correct. (<1ms or 1ms)
    (no lost packet)

3. the same problem with {ping Internet IP}
    first time be high, start the second will be correct.
    (no lost packet)

when I'm no install ZApro, no any problems with ping..

rwstowe Guest

Default Re: [Win7 + ZApro 91_008_000] does anyone get same problem with ping?

Yes, I find that while Zone Alarm Pro 9.1.603 (on trial) with Driver version 9.1.522.000 is installed, I cannot ping 127.0.0.1. The request usually times out. This behavior occurs whether or not the firewall is on or off.

I have verified satisfactory ping capability of the Windows system by pinging while Zone Alarm is uninstalled.

I first noticed this problem when testing computer using BurnInTest. It failed the test for inability to ping 127.0.0.1. I eventually isolated the problem to the presence of Zone Alarm.

I also see the behavior you describe when pinging other addresses.

To anyone with knowledge: Is this a benign bug in Zone Alarm? Or is it an indicator or something more serious?

Thanks in advance,
    rwstowe

Never heard of such problems. May be some incompatibility at the level of the network card? What exactly is the negative impact of such behaviour on the system and the other software running?

I would suggest contacting the official ZA support and report them about it. Link to support in my signature.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rwstowe Guest

Hello Fax,

Thanks for your response. As of yet, I cannot positively ascribe any application problems to this issue of pinging the local host other than the BurnInTest failure. Sometimes IE8 is slow and unresponsive, but I don't know yet if it is attributed to this issue. I was originally using BurnInTest to check for system stability after some BSOD fixes when I noticed this problem. I am using a very new copy of Windows 7 64 bit on a Toshiba Tecra A11 laptop. I see the issue with both wireless and ethernet connections.

I am sorry -- I don't know what you mean by "Link to support in my signature".

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rwstowe View Post
    I am sorry -- I don't know what you mean by "Link to support in my signature".

Thanks again.
    Hi again,
    Sorry if I was not clear. I meant that you can contact the official ZA technical support at the link displaying at the bottom of my messages.

It is anyway good that no adverse effects seems to be appearing. It may even that this is by design (ping). But this can only be answered by ZA itself (here we are all users).

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information