Thread: Persistent daily automatic updates

Marlburian Guest

Default Persistent daily automatic updates

I've been happily using the free ZoneAlarm for five years with Firefox and free AVG and believe this combination has kept most nasties at bay. But from about a month ago, ZoneAlarm has started to update itself almost every day some ten minutes after I've booted up my PC. The process slows everything else down to a crawl for up to ten minutes, which is a bit of a bore if I only want to be on line for 60-80 minutes.

I've altered "check for product updates" from automatic to manual and also checked that the latter is still marked as my option. But still I get the update process almost daily.

ZoneAlarm never used to update itself (perhaps I should have checked manually for updates), and I'm not entirely convinced that it needs to do so so often.

I'm tempted to delete ZA and re-install to see if that cures the problem.

Any comments, please?

MeatheadTodd Guest

Default Re: Persistent daily automatic updates

Yeah, I recently joined up here for this very problem.

Like you , I have been a ZA (suite) user for years, but within the last year, they added this many times a day update thing. Right in the middle of processor hungry programs running, I get ZA updates, bogging things down.

Used to be only the updates came when the computer was idle, like overnight.

watchdawg Guest

I have the same frustrating experience. Changing the Update preference to Manual has no effect. Please post again if you find solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatheadTodd View Post
    Yeah, I recently joined up here for this very problem.

Like you , I have been a ZA (suite) user for years, but within the last year, they added this many times a day update thing. Right in the middle of processor hungry programs running, I get ZA updates, bogging things down.

Used to be only the updates came when the computer was idle, like overnight.

Sorry that your Un-able to Configure your ZA Security suite..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

What Version of ZA Suite are you using?

Later Version of ZASS 8.0 and 9.1 Allow you to Slow down the rate of AV/As Updates..

All you need do is Click Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware..
    Click Advanced options
    Click on UPDATES
    Set Update fruequecy..

Simple as that..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watchdawg Guest

Ok, I'll try it. Still doesn't make sense that the Overview Preferences button doesn't take care of it - illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by watchdawg View Post
    Ok, I'll try it. Still doesn't make sense that the Overview Preferences button doesn't take care of it - illogical.

The Check for Updates in preferences Only checks for Complete Product Upgrades.. and Only when Checkpoint Turns on the Product Upgrade Servers..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information