Thread: Prompt to access Generic Host svchost port 135

hanging Guest

Default Prompt to access Generic Host svchost port 135

Although the Generic Host Process is already enabled, I see prompts to allow the
    Generic Host Process access through Port 135. This does not occur every time I access the Internet, and I am wondering if I should close Port 135, or if this is a legitimate request.

The request is "wanting to act as Server".

Is this "normal" or is this somthing everyone should be aware of and not allow? I thought that the Generic Host Process was required, so a few times I have allowed it (a few times when I did not, I could not connect to the Internet).

I am confused and would appreciate any guidance with this issue. Thank you.

Default Re: Prompt to access Generic Host svchost port 135

Quote Originally Posted by hanging View Post
    Although the Generic Host Process is already enabled, I see prompts to allow the
    Generic Host Process access through Port 135. This does not occur every time I access the Internet, and I am wondering if I should close Port 135, or if this is a legitimate request.

The request is "wanting to act as Server".

Is this "normal" or is this somthing everyone should be aware of and not allow? I thought that the Generic Host Process was required, so a few times I have allowed it (a few times when I did not, I could not connect to the Internet).

I am confused and would appreciate any guidance with this issue. Thank you.

Here is my two cents worth..

NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks)
    :a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..
    b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights
    c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.)
    d.) Malicious Software Removal Tool
    f.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)
    g.) Zone Alarm Client
    h.) Zone Alarm Updating Client
    i.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet access and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hanging Guest

Wink Re: Prompt to access Generic Host svchost port 135

The Generic Host Process has been configured by Zone Alarm Pro, and it DOES NOT have a green check mark on the "Server Rights" for the Internet. I was told in no uncertain terms to NOT change anything that had already been configured by ZAP, so I have not touched anything.

When I got the prompt again this morning, I checked and my list of programs showed that the Generic Host Process was not "active", however I just checked again now and it is showing that the Generic Host Process is "active".

How about everyone else's reconfigured programs in the latest update?

I was also told to NOT use the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool if running the Zone Alarm Pro. So therefore I have never used it.

Everything else appears to be "in order" other than the question relevant to the reason why the Generic Host Process does not have a green check mark underneath the "Server Rights for Internet". Guess as long as I can access the Internet it's a non-issue but somewhat confusing.

Thank you so much for your response to my question. It is very much appreciated!!

Thread Information