Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA spam filter suddenly missing about half of all spam I receive

joems Guest

Default ZA spam filter suddenly missing about half of all spam I receive

A few days ago, my copy of Zone Alarm suddenly began failing to catch about half of all the spam I receive. Usually, Zone Alarm catches 99+% of all the spam I receive. This is happening on both of my computers. I haven't changed any of my Zone Alarm email (or other) settings. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas on how to get Zone Alarm's spam filter working properly again?

Here's my ZA info:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:996298455
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200910.6805
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8400 running XP-SP3. (As I said this is also happening on my other computer, a Dell Inspiron 700m running XP-SP2.)

Thanks,
    Joel

Default Re: ZA spam filter suddenly missing about half of all spam I receive

Quote Originally Posted by joems View Post
    A few days ago, my copy of Zone Alarm suddenly began failing to catch about half of all the spam I receive. Usually, Zone Alarm catches 99+% of all the spam I receive. This is happening on both of my computers. I haven't changed any of my Zone Alarm email (or other) settings. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any ideas on how to get Zone Alarm's spam filter working properly again?

Here's my ZA info:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:996298455
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200910.6805
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0

My computer is a Dell Dimension 8400 running XP-SP3. (As I said this is also happening on my other computer, a Dell Inspiron 700m running XP-SP2.)

Thanks,
    Joel

A.) Check for Malware Infection..

Your computer could be infected if your ignored a ZA Alert when Clicking on an Email Attachment, orby downloading an infected Games or music/Video file while having "Virtualization Turned OFF"..

NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (7.0.470.000 or later). If you are not, please update.

Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Disable system restore;
    2. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Ultra Deep Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    3. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    4. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    5. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to Normal
    7. Ensable System restore

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
    How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

A. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running

B. Use the superantispyware online cleaning tool --> Here or download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running

C. Download update and scan with A2 free

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to BleepingComputer or SpywareHammer
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

essiar Guest

Default Spam toolbar disappears/filter misses 90% of spam

1) Spam filter toolbar goes missing occasionally. I followed instructions, did a clean uninstall and install of newest version and it still disappears occasionally.
    2) EVEN WORSE is the fact that now even when the toolbar is present, it is only catching about 10% of the spam when it used to catch at least 90% of it. A ZA issue or a SonicWall issue?
    Bottom line, spam feature of ZA has become totally useless, at least in OE. I see others are having the same problem and have followed all directions and nothing has helped. This is occurring on different machines, different locales, different users, etc.
    I'd love to hear if there is a fix in the works.
    Thanks!

joems Guest

I scanned with ZA, Malwarebytes, and Prevx. No infections on either of my computers. However, on both computers, ZA is still missing about half of all spam. This seems unlikely to be a virus problems, as its happening on two totally different computers hooked up to different networks. I will try posting a hijack this log and see what comes up.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any idea what's causing it or how to correct it?

Thanks,
    Joel

essiar Guest

Joems,
    Please let me know if you discover anything. I do NOT believe it has anything to do with an infected PC.
    Thanks!

the_cas Guest

Unhappy Re: ZA spam filter suddenly missing about half of all spam I receive

I am having the exact same issue. started last week. At the same time I saw a huge increase in the amount of spam I have been recieving.
    I have tried all the cleaning suggested. uninstalled and reinstalled. That did help now its leaving about 20% of the spam messages.

joems Guest

If anyone else is having this problem, please post a quick note to this thread.

More importantly, if anyone has a solution, please post that as well.

I hope the ZA forums manager will keep this thread open for comments until we find a good solution for the problem.

Has anyone actually contact the ZA official support?
    This is a user forum, ZA staff does not monitor this board.

You need to report the issue to ZA to try to troubleshoot it, resolved it or escalate it.
    No use of simply post it here. Unless you have not a valid license.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

essiar Guest

Yes, a tech support person that I did an online chat with had no idea why this was happening. He said he heard about it. I did a clean install of the newest version and it did not fix it. Next step I was told was a hijack log but I do not believe that is the problem. We'll see if Joems log shows anything.
    Unfortunately, the email protection was a HUGE reason for my purchasing ZA year after year. Since it does not work most of time anymore, I will sadly have to look for another product. There is undoubtedly a new bug in the spam detection feature to where it just started missing the majority of the spam for many of us.

joems Guest

Fax,

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how to contact Tech Support. When I go to the ZA Tech Support page the only options are the Knowledge Base and premium phone support. (In fact, I use the user forum exactly because there doesn't seem to be any other way to get non-paid tech support.) If there's a way to get a message to a Tech Support person at Zone Labs it would be nice to know how to do it.

Thanks,
    Joel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information