Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

atinalee Guest

Default Re: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Thanks so much. This is another great way to try.

Anita

heidem Guest

Quote Originally Posted by atinalee View Post
    Thanks so much. I didnt know you could do this. This has solved my problem.

Anita
    For info:
    I'm running ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:9.1.008.000
    and I had to allow the "DVD scrink setup" under programs control, programs, level 3 super, to get rid of the popup window from Zonealarm.

findley Guest

Arrow Re: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Quote Originally Posted by heidem View Post
    For info:
    I'm running ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:9.1.008.000
    and I had to allow the "DVD scrink setup" under programs control, programs, level 3 super, to get rid of the popup window from Zonealarm.
    Hi heidem,
    thanks for adding feedback to this thread
    enjoy your weekend,
    Findley

gramps Guest

Smile Re: info on RarePacker.Multi.Generic

Quote Originally Posted by findley View Post
    Craig,

To check this out, you could upload the DVD shrink files to Virus Total Virustotal is a free service which will analyze the suspicious files. The files will be checked out against thirty-nine antivirus engines.

There was a thread on false positives, DVD shrink and RarePacker.Multi.Generic
    a couple months back. Here is the link: ZASS False Positives

Best regards,
    Findley
    Thanks for the very helpful information Findley. I'm sure you've seen that both of these services ( Virus Total or to Jotti's malware scan ) give differing results and their Kaspersky may be different from ZA's (odd).

Would you agree that if Kaspersky, AVG, NOD32 agree on the status, and the rest show different threats; I can say ZA gave a false alarm?

Thanks again,
    Gramps
    Last edited by gramps; December 23rd, 2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add two sites I failed to mention

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful information Findley. I'm sure you've seen that both of these services ( Virus Total or to Jotti's malware scan ) give differing results and their Kaspersky may be different from ZA's (odd).

Would you agree that if Kaspersky, AVG, NOD32 agree on the status, and the rest show different threats; I can say ZA gave a false alarm?

Thanks again,
    Gramps
    Gramps,
    The differing results for Virus Total and Jotti's reflect that these free file analyzing services for suspicious malware run different versions of av engines with Jotti's service ususally being behind, date-wise, the virus total services. But there can be comparative value in using both.

With the DVD Shrink files there are malware versions and clean versions. These files can be downloaded and installed from legitimate sources and downloaded and installed from dubious sources. It has been noted in previous threads on DVD Shrink that ZA has in the past flagged these files and users have reported them as false positives as noted in the threads referenced previously.

My habit and practice on any thing flagged by zone alarm or any other malware scanner is to run multiple online scanners to verify whether or not this is a threat or false positive. If there is any doubt, further investigation can be done by running hijackthis and posting the hijackthis log to the HJT forum at bleepingcomputer or spywarehammer or another malware removal forum where experts will evaluate and walk you through the running of malware removal tools, if necessary.
    Findley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information