Thread: Zone Alarm tvDebug.log ate my wife's hard-drive. Really!

Ken Rutledge Guest

Default Zone Alarm tvDebug.log ate my wife's hard-drive. Really!

My wife and I are both running Zone Alarm Pro (free offer) on our computers, two Dell multimedia computers running Windows XP.

Recently, her computer began displaying messages that her hard drive was full. I monitor her computer and I knew that she was using about 30 GB out of the 80 available. When I looked at the properties of her computer, I saw that it was indeed full, something had taken about 50 GB of hard-drive space. After much searching and thinking, I began looking for very large files and found the problem.

Under Windows/Internet Logs, there was a file called tvDebug.log which occupied over 50 GB of space. I tried to delete it but it refused, saying that it was being used by another program. I finally concluded that Zone Alarm was the problem. I shut it down and then tried to eliminate the file. Success!

I have no idea what caused it to run wild. However, when I re-started Zone Alarm, it again showed the same file, tvDebug.log. The file was slowly growing and I'm watching it to see how large it grows.

I'm also using Zone Alarm Pro on my computer and the same file is slowly growing there.

Zone Alarm has always been a good firewall for me, especially since it's free.

Any suggestions or comments.

Ken Rutledge
    removed e-mail address
    Last edited by Greb49er; November 5th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: Zone Alarm tvDebug.log ate my wife's hard-drive. Really!

You can't delete the tvDebug.log while ZA is running, boot the computer in safe mode then try. In the future you can turn off tvDebug logging.ctrl+shift+right click on the ZA icon in the bottom right systray area. Then choose set debug level off >Ok > restart your computer.

Default Re: Zone Alarm tvDebug.log ate my wife's hard-drive. Really!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rutledge View Post
    My wife and I are both running Zone Alarm Pro (free offer) on our computers, two Dell multimedia computers running Windows XP.

Recently, her computer began displaying messages that her hard drive was full. I monitor her computer and I knew that she was using about 30 GB out of the 80 available. When I looked at the properties of her computer, I saw that it was indeed full, something had taken about 50 GB of hard-drive space. After much searching and thinking, I began looking for very large files and found the problem.

Under Windows/Internet Logs, there was a file called tvDebug.log which occupied over 50 GB of space. I tried to delete it but it refused, saying that it was being used by another program. I finally concluded that Zone Alarm was the problem. I shut it down and then tried to eliminate the file. Success!

I have no idea what caused it to run wild. However, when I re-started Zone Alarm, it again showed the same file, tvDebug.log. The file was slowly growing and I'm watching it to see how large it grows.

I'm also using Zone Alarm Pro on my computer and the same file is slowly growing there.

Zone Alarm has always been a good firewall for me, especially since it's free.

Any suggestions or comments.

Ken Rutledge
    ** removed e-mail address again ** Posting Email Address is violation of ZA Terms of Use Policy
    Please Contact Checkpoint Tech Support directly with Full Details of your wifes Computer/OS Type and Details of your Free ZAPro Version # and Problem..

Click on Support link in my Signature..

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Greb49er; November 5th, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information