Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Must "refresh" pages --> AVG webshield

ZA9User Guest

Default [SOLVED] Must "refresh" pages --> AVG webshield

I'm really not sure if this is related to ZoneAlarm but it seems to have happened since my ZA9. All of a sudden, when I hit a link, etc. - the page starts to load and sits there waiting for stuff to load. If I hit "refresh" - it will reload the page without a problem (most of the time). It does it on two of my systems (desktop and laptop) running ZA9. Oh yea, I didn't change any settings. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by fax; November 4th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Must "refresh" pages

Are you using any ad-blockers or javascript blockers? Sometimes they can cause pages not to load or to partially load.

ZA9User Guest

Quote Originally Posted by critterjoe View Post
    Are you using any ad-blockers or javascript blockers? Sometimes they can cause pages not to load or to partially load.
    Nothing I wasn't using before the upgrade. If I was - I'm not sure hitting "refresh" would get past it? Unfortunately, it doesn't happen consistantly. Thanks for the quick response.

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZA9User View Post
    Nothing I wasn't using before the upgrade. If I was - I'm not sure hitting "refresh" would get past it? Unfortunately, it doesn't happen consistantly. Thanks for the quick response.
    I'm not saying that refresh would defeat the blockers; it can, however, cause a website to draw up a different set of ads which might take less effort to block. Problem websites with a lot of ads, popups, etc. get ads from different servers which sometimes draw different ads each time the page is loaded. If a page is having trouble displaying because it is hung up an ad from one adserver, might not hang when receiving an ad from a different one, etc. My popup blocker causes me to have to do that on some political websites. But if I use refresh or previous page and back, the site can "sneak in" between the attempted popups that are delaying it. The fact that you state it is inconsistant implies to me that it could be due to content that changes on the website with different visits or refreshes; this could be due to the website trying to pull ads, images, or main content from multiple servers at different addresses. A refresh will also decrease the time to display due to content (images, etc.) that were stored in the browser cache during the first attempt; i.e., on the second attempt it has a head start. However, this doesn't explain the phenomenon that you are observing this with one version of ZA over another.

critterjoe Guest

I didn't mean that using "refresh" would defeat the blockers; only that it might make a page with a lot of content from third-party servers easier to load, since when refreshed, the page likely pulls different content, some of which may be less complex or from different adservers. Plus a refresh usually displays faster anyway since some content will already be stored in your PC's browser cache from the first attempt, so it has a headstart. In any case, if you use virtual browsing a lot, I've discovered that going into Forcefield's settings and clearing my virtual data more often helps things display better. That's strictly anecdotal, however, and you'll have to decide if that helps you any, but it's easy to try.

ZA9User Guest

Understood critterjoe. I am pretty consistent and always go back to the same websites day after day. I have the same problem on FireFox and Internet Explorer. I'm not using Forcefild or virtual. I will shut down ZA and if I no longer have the problem I guess I will move to another FireWall because this is getting pretty old. Thanks for your help.

critterjoe Guest

That was my fault for not asking you which ZA9 product you're using. I still don't know since three of the products don't have Forcefield, and in ZAX it is optional and can be turned off. In any case, don't give up without chatting with Tech Support first. Remember we are all fellow users like you; none of us work for Tech Support. Perhaps they have some additional perspective that will help you. Good luck.
    Last edited by critterjoe; October 30th, 2009 at 02:03 AM.

ZA9User Guest

Quote Originally Posted by critterjoe View Post
    That was my fault for not asking you which ZA9 product you're using. I still don't know since three of the products don't have Forcefield, and in ZAX it is optional and can be turned off. In any case, don't give up without chatting with Tech Support first. Remember we are all fellow users like you; none of us work for Tech Support. Perhaps they have some additional perspective that will help you. Good luck.
    I really should have indicated what version I was using...

ZoneAlarmPro 9.0.114.000

Again, thanks for your help. I'm sure we will figure this out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ZA9User View Post
    ZoneAlarmPro 9.0.114.000
    May be you could try to update to ZAPRO 9.1?
    www.zonealarm.com/zapdownload/

There is nothing in ZA 9.X that can block web pages. Try to install ZAPRO withOUT the toolbar. You will be asked during the install (remove your current ZA before). Also try NOT to restore any previous ZA settings.

Check possible conflicts with your antivirus. Shutdown the antivirus and test your web browser.

If you have not installed the toolbar then double check you are setting up correctly the basic networks. E.g. DNS and DHCP set as trusted (or your router IP as trusted), 127.0.0.1 as trusted, your trusted zone set to MEDIUM and NOT HIGH).

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ZA9User Guest

Thanks fax for the suggestion. Everything is set the way you suggested. It might not be ZoneAlarm - could be my SpySweeper (Webroot). I shut down ZA and still had the problem. I shut down my AVG Pro and still had the problem. Next I will shut down my SpySweeper. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Well, regardless of what I shut off - it still happens on ocassion. Right now - I'm running on a WiFi at my local restaurant and have the same problem (ocassionally). This is most interesting because my other laptop (at home) and now this one has the same problem. I have both laptop's configured the same exact way - so, obviously, it must be something I'm doing. Like my daughter says - "oh well!"

Last edited by ZA9User; October 31st, 2009 at 07:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information