Thread: "Privacy" tab is gone. Update to 9.1

zafanq Guest

Default "Privacy" tab is gone. Update to 9.1

After updating to 9.1 from 8.04 several key features of ZA Internet Security Suite are completely missing.

1. When I update from from the Overview Preferences screen the program updates AV/Spyware instead. Are we no longer able to choose between updating the program and updating the AV/Spyware definitions? I do NOT always want to be forced into a long and complete update.

2. Under "Anti-virus / Spyware" the "Spyware" controls are COMPLETELY MISSING!!!! I am unable to:
    a. Customize the Spyware scan
    b. Do a quick download of just the spyware definitions
    c. Do a separate spyware scan, which is a whole lot faster than a complete AV/spyware scan.

3. The "Privacy" tab is gone. WTF?!? I can no longer manage cookie control, ad blocking or mobile control code or do cache cleaning. This is important stuff. What Happened??? There are many websites and forums where this stuff has to be modified on the fly.

Guys, these are MAJOR problems. I am not going to update any of my other PCs until this is resolved.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 7th, 2009 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Correct Miss-information

Default Re: ZA Massively Crippled after update to 9.1

Hi!

1 and 2. See here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

• New Browser Security:
      • Advanced Download Protection:
        • Detects the latest zero-day threats in downloads that you initiate-before they reach your computer
        • Includes heuristic analysis and program check
        • Can run and analyze download behavior in a virtual environment if necessary
      • Spy site detection
      • Signature and heuristic phishing detection
      • Website safety check and rating

• New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
      • Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
      • More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
      • Additional on-access scan controls
      • On-access scanning now detects spyware
    3. Same link

Note: To streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have been removed with this release.
    4. Please search the board the above has been posted many times!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zafanq Guest

Default Re: "Privacy" tab is gone. WTF?!? update to 9.1

Thank you for your reply. This information should have been on the download site. It never appears during the process of updating from my ZA control panel.

As to these claims:
    "More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    Additional on-access scan controls"

I have to ask...Where? I have been through all of the controls twice since reading your message and I cannot find any significant changes other than the lack of the spyware options that were whacked.

As to the other... well, these features that ZA removed:

"Note: To streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have been removed with this release."

were the MAJOR reason reason I liked and recommended ZA. Now ZA is just another firewall/bug zapper. And I think the assumption that "web privacy controls are built into ..." is a gross leap of faith, one that I am not willing to make. The old ZA gave me assurance that such features were really there and allowed me to control them

If this is ZAs final word on this then I will not be renewing any of the three 3-packs I have or had with them and will go back to separate programs to manage aspects of my security. I am bitterly disappointed.

How do I downgrade back to the most advanced Version 8 of ZA security suite?

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by zafanq View Post
    I have to ask...Where? I have been through all of the controls twice since reading your message and I cannot find any significant changes other than the lack of the spyware options that were whacked.
    Antivirus/Antispyware engine has been completely re-designed. New options are available under:

- Updates
    - Scan Modes
    - Scan options
    - On access scanning
    - Exceptions

Haven't you notice that now ZA is lighter and faster? Haven't you notice that updates are more silent and fast? Haven't you notice that after the first scan operations are much faster?

ZA engine in version 8 is outdated and was time for a full update, fortunately.

ZA privacy control, was outdated, working only on few sites, going ping/pong very often and causing more problems than solutions. Just control your cookies with the browser and use addons like IE7PRO or adblocking to strip active content or update to ZA extreme to have your browser sandboxed.

ZA is now focusing on security related options rather than cosmetics and useless privacy tools. 100% the right move.

You don't like it? Than time to test other tools and move on....

Quote Originally Posted by zafanq View Post
    How do I downgrade back to the most advanced Version 8 of ZA security suite?
    Better to run something else but fully update than using an old tool as first line of protection.
    Please contact ZA official support for the link to version 8, we are all users here.

Good luck and cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 7th, 2009 at 05:34 AM.

zafanq Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    You're welcome!

Haven't you notice that now ZA is lighter and faster? Haven't you notice that updates are more silent and fast? Haven't you notice that after the first scan operations are much faster?
    Not really. I'll pay more attention next time

ZA engine in version 8 is outdated and was time for a full update, fortunately.
    No argument there!

ZA privacy control, was outdated, working only on few sites, going ping/pong very often and causing more problems than solutions. Just control your cookies with the browser and use addons like IE7PRO or adblocking to strip active content or update to ZA extreme to have your browser sandboxed.
    I never had any problems w/ ZASS privacy features. I played around a lot with the IE settings and ZASS. I think ZASS was more effective. I also play with Firefox and ZASS. And I already have Forecefield. Based on my my testing, the ZASS-Firefox-Forcefield combo was the most secure, but ZASS-IE-Forcefield was more site-friendly. And I found that Window Washer and the ZASS cache cleaner each found things the other missed.

You don't like it? Than time to test other tools and move on....
    Please contact ZA official support for the link to version 8, we are all users here.
    ~~ snip ~~~. And I have posted to ZA.
    Last edited by fax; November 7th, 2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: ToS

Great! Looks arguments have been exhausted.

... Degustibus non disputandum est....

Time to move on, I close this thread.

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if you have any other ZA product related issue.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information