Thread: Annoying Popup Won't Go Away

patersonstreet Guest

Default Annoying Popup Won't Go Away

Hi, after a few weeks of installing the free version of Zone Alarm I get a Zone Alarm dialog box popup in the middle of the screen when my Vista x64 starts up asking me if I want to upgrade. I press "No Thanks" and continue.

Now that's okay I would expect that to happen once or twice because the company has to survive. But what really bugs me is that absolutely everytime Windows starts up now I get that same message.

I think it's a bug because I have seen the same message on another computer, but this time it doesn't appear again once you select "No Thanks".

That other computer was Vista x32 so I'm wondering if it's a problem when running on Vista Ultimate x64.

This is so frustrating that I am thinking of going back to *Bleep*, which is a shame because I think Zone Alarms is a much better product.

Does anyone have an alternative solution besides going back to *Bleep*?

I am running Zone Alarms version 8.0.298.000.

Thanks.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 9th, 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: TOU Violation

Thumbs up Re: Annoying Popup Won't Go Away

Quote Originally Posted by patersonstreet View Post
    Hi, after a few weeks of installing the free version of Zone Alarm I get a Zone Alarm dialog box popup in the middle of the screen when my Vista x64 starts up asking me if I want to upgrade. I press "No Thanks" and continue.

Now that's okay I would expect that to happen once or twice because the company has to survive. But what really bugs me is that absolutely everytime Windows starts up now I get that same message.

I think it's a bug because I have seen the same message on another computer, but this time it doesn't appear again once you select "No Thanks".

That other computer was Vista x32 so I'm wondering if it's a problem when running on Vista Ultimate x64.

This is so frustrating that I am thinking of going back to *Bleep*, which is a shame because I think Zone Alarms is a much better product.

Does anyone have an alternative solution besides going back to *Bleep*?

I am running Zone Alarms version 8.0.298.000.

Thanks.

The Following Forum Link will help Stop the Nag screen that you get with ZAFree..

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...93&action=view
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 9th, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: TOU
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

BigBad64 Guest

Default Re: Annoying Popup Won't Go Away

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    The Following Forum Link will help Stop the Nag screen that you get with ZAFree..

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...93&action=view
    Hi George,

I too am running ZA free and have started getting this pop-up for some reason.

The link you posted is talking about purchasing an upgrade to ZA and inputting a license key.

Step 14 says to download the product which I purchased an upgrade to.
    I haven't purchased anything?

Steps 18/19 talk about inputting a license key.
    I don't think I have one with ZA free?

As you can see I'm a bit confused.

Can you please explain a bit further?

Thanks.

yogiyo12 Guest

GeorgeV is just being his usual friendly self.

I too recently installed the age-old and extremely reliable free version of ZoneAlarm's firewall on my wife's new Vista laptop, and she receives the same "Nag" screen mentioned in various threads at this site. I have since rid her machine of it, the GURU that I am. But I can just imagine the amount of people who must put up with it if they wish to continue using the free version of the firewall.

As have many folks who have enquired about the Nag screen, I too have been using the awesome free version of ZoneAlarm's firewall for over a decade. However, I've not received the screen on my desktop, perhaps because I don't use the Vista 64 OS. Or perhaps because GeorgeV and Check Point simply haven't caught up to my name on the list yet. I'll eventually rid myself of it, too, though; no worries. Then, of course, there's always Comodo, or even Vista's own relatively worthy two-way.

However, you can rest assured, when I am eventully required to pay for a two-way user-friendly firewall, my money will most likely not be spent at Check Point. GeorgeV's "pay-for-it-and-if-you-don't-like-it-go-elsewhere" attitude has clinched it for me. I guess this is what happens when a wonderfully altruistic and helpful company like ZoneLabs ends up in the hands of a company that hires rude customer servicepeople.

So, Check Point, feel free to place the blame for losing several loyal and would-be customers solidly on the shoulders of GeorgeV. No offense intended to cordial people like SlyFox and whomever else moderates this forum without resorting to GeorgeV's despicable level of a "pay-or-you're-nothing-to-me" attitude. For shame.

Very sincerely,
    Yogi

Quote Originally Posted by BigBad64 View Post
    Hi George,

I too am running ZA free and have started getting this pop-up for some reason.

The link you posted is talking about purchasing an upgrade to ZA and inputting a license key.

Step 14 says to download the product which I purchased an upgrade to.
    I haven't purchased anything?

Steps 18/19 talk about inputting a license key.
    I don't think I have one with ZA free?

As you can see I'm a bit confused.

Can you please explain a bit further?

Thanks.

Yes..

1.) Upgrade your ZoneAlarm Product to one of the Paid versions will Remove the Nag screen and provide Better Security protection..

2.) If you have a question or a problem Please start your own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.

As a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Guideline Rules,ask each User to Please start their own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.

This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem, When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Muscadine Guest

Smile Re: Annoying Popup Won't Go Away

I agree with Pat, there is some sort of quirk happening with the Nag pop up.

I have the same version of ZoneAlarm on 2 Windows Vista 32-bit laptops, and the settings are identical (Manually update, etc). Yet the pop up only occurs on the Compaq Presario, at EVERY reboot, but never occurs on the Acer laptop.

Yes, I understand upgrade, cost to develop, don't-complain-it-was-free, blah blah... and how this topic on EVERY thread ends up an "Upgrade and it goes away" conclusion followed by "closed topic."

But would someone address why my Acer does not have the problem. Why my Compaq has the problem. And how can I make the Compaq not have the problem of...
    ZoneAlarm Security Options -> Tell Me More -> No, Thank you

BigBad64 Guest

Just as suddenly as my nag pop-up appeared, it has now disappeared of its own accord.

Thread Information