Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox - ZoneAlarm Issue

iulic Guest

Default Firefox - ZoneAlarm Issue

Description of the problem:
    After using Firefox for a long time (including pauses when the computer entes in stand by), Firefox stops loading pages. Practicly internet connection hangs. I close the browser, but it is still running as a process. I can't force closing and can't shutdown the computer (nothing hapends when I click shutdown). After closing ZA Free the computer enters in the log off state, and it shuts down after about 3-4 minutes.

Computer:
    1. Windows Vista Premium 32 bit SP2 updated
    2. AVG Antivirus Free Edition ver. 9.0.704, link scanner disabled
    3. Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 (no add-ons)
    2. ZoneAlarm Free
    ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Internet Zone Security high
    Trusted Zone Security medium
    Networking (LAN and Wireless LAN adaptors) Internet zone
    DHCP Server and DNS servers on Trusted zone
    Program Control medium
    Automatic Internet Lock disabled
    Program control: Firefox access allowed, server ask first

There is also a discution on the Mozilla forum, but it seams that I have to uninstall one of them (FF or ZA).
    http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...entStyle_plain

Frankly, I don't want to chose between the two software. Please try to give me a solution.
    Last edited by iulic; November 10th, 2009 at 01:14 AM.

Default Re: Firefox - ZoneAlarm Issue

Quote Originally Posted by iulic View Post
    After using Firefox for a long time (including pauses when the computer entes in stand by), Firefox stops loading pages. Practicly internet connection hangs. I close the browser, but it is still running as a process. I can't force closing and can't shutdown the computer (nothing hapends when I click shutdown). After closing ZA Free the computer enters in the log off state, and it shuts down after about 3-4 minutes.

Computer:
    2. ZoneAlarm Free

*Snip*

Frankly, I don't want to chose between the two software. Please try to give me a solution.

If you use the Forum Search Button and search for FireFox 3.5.5
    you will find the solution by the forum Moderator:

==================
    Hello,

We are aware of the problem with Firefox 3.5.5 and ForceField.

We are working on a fix and expect to have it available very soon as an automatic update.

In the meantime there are no work arounds besides downgrading FireFox to something else but version 3.5.5

Forum Moderator
    ============

I'm not sure that the Above solution applies to ZA Free?

But you can Try this :
    Downgrade Firefox back to 3.5.4 or earlier version
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

iulic Guest

Well, I'll search on the forum but this problem occured also for the previous versions of firefox. First I thought that tre problem is the networking adaptor, reinstalled the drivers, even reinstalled the OS. I waited for the the updates as I always keep my computer up to date: nor the ZA or Firefox fixed this issue till now. I can't remember for sure, but I think the problem started to accur with the ZA Free 8.0 version.

Hello,

My statement is for the Security tool bar/Forcefield and has nothing to do with free ZA since Free Za does not come with Paid version features.

Forum Moderator

bunnyfugger Guest

Thumbs up Re: Firefox - ZoneAlarm Issue

Quote Originally Posted by iulic View Post

Computer:
    2. ZoneAlarm Free
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Internet Zone Security high
    Trusted Zone Security medium
    Networking (LAN and Wireless LAN adaptors) Internet zone
    DHCP Server and DNS servers on Trusted zone
    Program Control medium
    Automatic Internet Lock disabled
    Program control: Firefox access allowed, server ask first

There is also a discution on the Mozilla forum, but it seams that I have to uninstall one of them (FF or ZA).
    http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...entStyle_plain

I Have seen this problem with ZAISS 8.0.400.020. I simply closed FF using TaskManager and then could restart FF as normal. I know that it's not an ideal solution, and you'd prefer it not to occur at all, but until there's a fix that's the best I can do.

Good Luck...

iulic Guest

Tahks for the answers. The problem is that FF wont close from the taskbar. I tried the 'close process' or 'close process tree'. I can't even shut down the computer normaly. When I shutdown teh ZA, then the computer shut down process starts.

I should mention that I haven't installed the toolbar - I never install them (nor Google, Yahoo, AVG or ZA toolbar).

bunnyfugger Guest

Smile Re: Firefox - ZoneAlarm Issue

Hi iulic,

If you cannot close a process using taskmanger or via the taskbar, you could try downloading from here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

This program can close processes where other cannot....

Regards,

iulic Guest

Thank you for the Process explorer. I downloaded it and will use when necessary. In the mean time, I decided to uninstall FF, as the issue is annoing and I don't have much time time to digg for a solution. I also analysed the oportunity to replace the ZA with the *Bleep*, but I finaly chosen the first one. I've been using ZA for 5 years I tbing and it's hard to change the habit. On the other hand, I've used IE, Opera, Safari, Firefox, Chrome so it's not so hard to migrate to another browser.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 11th, 2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: TOU

edncda Guest

Default Re: Forcefield crashes Firefox.

1. I deleted Forcefield from task manager and Firefox seems to be back to normal. (If I have to choose between the best browser and ZA ...... there are plenty of FW/AV apps but there's only 1 Firefox.)

2. My suggestion to ZA would be that until ZA finds a socalled "workaround" the dl defaults be adjusted so that the millions of people using Firefox don't have to waste as much time as we guinea pigs have.

3. or even better, WARN FIREFOX USERS NOT TO DL IT until you can figure out the problem.

4. and if you know you have a problem, why not post a message on your MAIN website (or temporarily eat the cost of maintaining your online tech support 24/7) so your paying, faithful long time customers like me don't uninstall it altogether and buy something that has been tested properly.

4a.The problem is evident within 5 minutes for goodness sake@! What kind of testing could ZA have possibly done before releasing it?

5. You may be able to tell that I'm bitterly disappointed in ZA's (non) response to alert its users to such a fundamental and obvious screwup.

6. Thank you.

7. PS: there are so many grammatical mistakes and typos on your main website that I seriously wondered if I had been redirected to a bogus site or if the ZA site had been hijacked. It certainly makes it easier to understand how other things (like programming) might be getting sloppy too. Just a hunch but has there been a change in admin or ownership lately?

Default Re: Forcefield crashes Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by edncda View Post
    1. I deleted Forcefield from task manager and Firefox seems to be back to normal. (If I have to choose between the best browser and ZA ...... there are plenty of FW/AV apps but there's only 1 Firefox.)

2. My suggestion to ZA would be that until ZA finds a socalled "workaround" the dl defaults be adjusted so that the millions of people using Firefox don't have to waste as much time as we guinea pigs have.

3. or even better, WARN FIREFOX USERS NOT TO DL IT until you can figure out the problem.

4. and if you know you have a problem, why not post a message on your MAIN website (or temporarily eat the cost of maintaining your online tech support 24/7) so your paying, faithful long time customers like me don't uninstall it altogether and buy something that has been tested properly.

4a.The problem is evident within 5 minutes for goodness sake@! What kind of testing could ZA have possibly done before releasing it?

5. You may be able to tell that I'm bitterly disappointed in ZA's (non) response to alert its users to such a fundamental and obvious screwup.

6. Thank you.

7. PS: there are so many grammatical mistakes and typos on your main website that I seriously wondered if I had been redirected to a bogus site or if the ZA site had been hijacked. It certainly makes it easier to understand how other things (like programming) might be getting sloppy too. Just a hunch but has there been a change in admin or ownership lately?
    Please contact Checkpoint Customer Support directly with your suggestions..

Click Support link in my Signature..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information