Thread: Newbie - question

iam4help Guest

Question Newbie - question

First let me start by saying I am new to Zonealarm and new here, so hope I am doing this correct. I was wandering, I have asked around to those that also have Zonealarm but noone seems to be able to answer me so I am here to ask hoping someone can help... I hope I explain ok.. here goes.... Does the version of Zonealarm effect being on latest Definitions, say If friend is on version 7 and I am on 8 can my friend still use 7 and still be up to date for definitions and protected or does she have to update to 8 to be able to keep up to date and be safe, again I hope I explain myself where at least 1 person understand me lol

thanks for reading

findley Guest

Default Re: Newbie - question

Quote Originally Posted by iam4help View Post
    First let me start by saying I am new to Zonealarm and new here, so hope I am doing this correct. I was wandering, I have asked around to those that also have Zonealarm but noone seems to be able to answer me so I am here to ask hoping someone can help... I hope I explain ok.. here goes.... Does the version of Zonealarm effect being on latest Definitions, say If friend is on version 7 and I am on 8 can my friend still use 7 and still be up to date for definitions and protected or does she have to update to 8 to be able to keep up to date and be safe, again I hope I explain myself where at least 1 person understand me lol

thanks for reading
    Hi iam4help,
    This is very general as you did not provide any detail on what zone alarm product you are comparing with your friend's. Version 7 is very old. Just one user opinion here, but there have been a number of fixes and improvements with each succeeding release so by using version 7 a user does not have the lastest zone alarm software which includes patches and improvements. As to the definition files - the lastest versions include a combined antivirus/antispyware, whereas older versions this was two separate definition files. You can get more information on release differences by looking at the release history of each zone alarm product.
    best regards,
    Findley

Below is an example of the release history for Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000

* Windows 7 operating system compatibility
    * Component Object Model (COM) monitoring (to stop advanced attacks that use the COM Windows component)
    * Improved antivirus/anti-spyware with enhanced rootkit detection
    * Improved status reporting during anti-virus updates
    * Improved performance in Browser Security module
    * Addressed a rare issue where keystroke encryption caused erroneous typing output

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 9.0.114.000

* Browser security fixes:
    o Fixed: Unable to install Adobe Flash Player add-on under Mozilla Firefox 3.5.3 in Internet mode
    o Fixed: Unable to install No Script add-on for Firefox when virtualization is enabled
    o Fixed: Communication with Smart Defense Advisor.

* Other fixes:
    o Fixed: AV DAT version is correctly refreshed after an AV update

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 9.0.112.000

* Browser security fixes:
    o Fixed: Not possible to type in Internet Explorer (IE) 7 in Private browsing mode
    o Fixed: System stops responding after opening PDF file in IE 7 and 8 on XP when virtualization is on

* Compatibility and Stability improvements:
    o Fixed: Blue screen crash after starting IE 7 (if ForceField is set to manual startup)
    o Fixed: Performance problems when using iTunes
    o Fixed: Screen freezes during ZoneAlarm installation or configuration in some cases

* Other fixes:
    o Fixed: Adding a firewall rule to block a specific hostname blocked all traffic

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 9.0.083.000

* New Browser Security:
    o Advanced Download Protection:
    + Detects the latest zero-day threats in downloads that you initiate-before they reach your computer
    + Includes heuristic analysis and program check
    + Can run and analyze download behavior in a virtual environment if necessary
    o Spy site detection
    o Signature and heuristic phishing detection
    o Website safety check and rating

* New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
    o Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
    o More advanced scan options- riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    o Additional on-access scan controls
    o On-access scanning now detects spyware

* Program control features to stop advanced security bypass attacks:
    o Timing attack protection
    o Service control manager protection (not supported on 64-bit and Windows 7)

* Other enhancements:
    o Many performance improvements
    o Reduced number of unnecessary alerts
    o Windows 7 ready (Free compatibility update to run on Windows 7 when it is released)

Note: To streamline in an age where web privacy controls are built into the most popular browsers and email attachment scanning is included in the major email applications, privacy controls and inbound MailSafe have been removed with this release.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020

* Firewall Enhancements for the High level setting:
    o Service Control Manager (SCM) monitoring to catch drivers being launched
    o Raw disk access detection added to catch malware that tries to open the kernel memory directly
    * Installation:
    o Cleaner uninstall
    o Automated Windows XP Service Pack 2 upgrade option
    o Faster upgrade installations
    o Vista Service Pack 2 support
    * Fixed Issues:
    o Fixed issue where Antivirus could not be enabled.
    o Incompatibility issues with Remote Desktop connections have been resolved.
    o Incompatibility issues with Cisco VPN have been resolved.
    * Other Enhancements:
    o Email security now supports 64bit Vista, IMAP accounts and the Windows Mail client
    o Stability and performance improvements

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...ml#9.1.008.000
    Last edited by findley; November 15th, 2009 at 04:21 AM.

iam4help Guest

Thank you, I am new so still learning example I am using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020 its just I read so many having problems with some updates so i wanted to know basically if i stay on what i am on am i ok and safe for not updating am i still covered by updating definitions etc etc............

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iam4help View Post
    Thank you, I am new so still learning example I am using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020 its just I read so many having problems with some updates so i wanted to know basically if i stay on what i am on am i ok and safe for not updating am i still covered by updating definitions etc etc............
    Hi iam4help,
    You are very welcome If you decide to stay on your version you still get updates - so yes you are covered.
    best regards,
    Findley

Thread Information