Thread: After installing 9.1: blank screen for 7 minutes, then Windows loads fine

Default After installing 9.1: blank screen for 7 minutes, then Windows loads fine

Yesterday I installed ZASS 9.1.008 over my previous version. During the installation, I was told my user settings file was corrupt and that it couldn't import my older settings. That was fine, and it did a completely new installation.

My computer restarted and it got to the "Welcome...Windows Vista Home Premium" screen. However, at that point the screen went black for seven entire minutes before Windows loaded. Finally, Windows loaded normally. Everything seems fine and the ZASS installation looked complete.

Now, the next day, I see that I am getting the same results every time my computer is restarted or powered back on. The Windows "Welcome" screen appears for a short time but then is followed by 7 minutes (I have timed it) of a blank screen. Then Windows loads normally.

Any thoughts? Not fun.

mttxn12 Guest

Default WinXP hangs while loading desktop

I had a similar situation with WinXP. After my upgrade, my desktop icons failed to load and it would just hang. To get around the hang quickly, I Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the Windows Security box and chose to log off. If I would relog in quickly, I was able to get a desktop. However, this did not resolve the hanging issue permenantly.

I assumed something corrupted my system files so I used Microsoft's SFC to correct the problem.

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If you can get to the desktop, open a command prompt (Start | Run | type cmd) then type sfc /? to learn more about sfc.exe.

If you can't get to the desktop, try safe mode.

I did not have any major problems during the upgrade. I did receive an error message sound during the upgrade. I saw a cmd box flash on the screen and disappear quickly but it continued to install without problems. This might have caused my hanging issue.

The SFC tool helped to resolve the hanging when the OS loads but now I'm noticing that my anti-virus is not running automatically. It doesn't run as scheduled and doesn't auto update itself. I have to do these things manually. I did read that others were having similar issues and they were working on these issues currently. I will wait a couple weeks to see what happens. If the program fails to automatically run by itself, I may do a fresh install.

bethel95 Guest

Default Re: After installing 9.1: blank screen for 7 minutes, then Windows loads fine

Hmm...if running SFC solved the OS problem but introduced a ZA problem, then that sure sounds like ZA is installing an older version of a system file (dll?) and that SFC is restoring the newer version.

This could happen if the file in question was updated late in the Win 7 development cycle--after the ZA developers finalized that part of their work.

I think I see another 9.x update in our near future.

mttxn12 Guest

Default Re: After installing 9.1: blank screen for 7 minutes, then Windows loads fine

Just an update ...

I also had to fix my Explorer Shell. After several days the problem began to resurface and zonealarm was acting funny. I assumed something in the registry was missing or broken.

This forum had a nice algorithm to follow. You should also rule out any viruses or spyware too.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...ort/902979.htm

I used the FixShell ("Windows Explorer shell fix") script from this website to fix my explorer shell. It's a simple bat file that re-registers files on your system.

hxxp://www.ms-mvp.org/
    ~~~ direct link edited for security, users have reported it contains trojans ~~~

Also, uninstall Zonealarm and don't upgrade over any previous versions of the program. Do a clean and fresh install. Things seem stable now after repairing the Shell and doing a system file check.

Summary:

Uninstalled Zonealarm
    Run some free anti-spyware program
    (Check the registry if you want)
    Do a fresh install on Zonealarm. No upgrade!
    System file check over the Zonealarm install. (I'm assuming there are some bad files in the Zonealarm.)
    Then repair the Shell with script
    Last edited by fax; November 25th, 2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: just want to add more comments

mttxn12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mttxn12 View Post

hxxp://www.ms-mvp.org/
    ~~~ direct link edited for security, users have reported it contains trojans ~~~
    I don't know what he's talking about. The contents of the bat file are included below. Modify it as you please. It uses the regsvr32.exe on your system to re-register the Microsoft dlls already on your system.

@echo off

:intro
    color 1F
    @echo off
    cls

echo.
    echo.
    echo *******************
    echo * *
    echo * Explorer Shell dll *
    echo * corruption *
    echo * Fix *
    echo * created by *
    echo * pcbutts1 *
    echo * *
    echo *******************
    echo.
    echo This Script is used to manually re-register
    echo Shell related *.dlls
    echo Your system will reboot when done
    echo.
    echo Would you like to continue?
    echo.
    echo.

@echo off
    :choice2
    set /p choice=Select Y or N:
    set choice=%choice:~0,1%
    if "%choice%"=="y" goto shell
    if "%choice%"=="Y" goto shell
    if "%choice%"=="n" goto notice1
    if "%choice%"=="N" goto notice1
    echo invalid choice
    GOTO choice2

:shell
    regsvr32 comcat.dll /s
    regsvr32 CSSEQCHK.DLL /s
    regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s
    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /s
    regsvr32 browsewm.dll /s
    regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s
    regsvr32 msrating.dll /s
    regsvr32 mlang.dll /s
    regsvr32 hlink.dll /s
    regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s
    regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s
    regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s
    regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s
    regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s
    regsvr32 corpol.dll /s
    regsvr32 jscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 msxml.dll /s
    regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s
    regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s
    regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s
    regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s
    regsvr32 inseng.dll /s
    regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s
    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s
    regsvr32 dispex.dll /s
    regsvr32 occache.dll /s
    regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s
    regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s
    regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s
    regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s
    regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s
    regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s
    regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s
    regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s
    regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s
    regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s
    regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s
    regsvr32 msident.dll /s
    regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s
    regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s
    regsvr32 ils.dll /s
    regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s
    regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s
    regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s
    regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s
    regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s
    regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s
    regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s
    regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s
    regsvr32 danim.dll /s
    regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s
    regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s
    regsvr32 datime.dll /s
    regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s
    regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s
    regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s
    regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s
    regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s
    regsvr32 wshext.dll /s
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s
    regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s
    regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
    regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s
    regsvr32 licdll.dll /s
    regsvr32 regwizc.dll /s
    regsvr32 softpub.dll /s
    regsvr32 IEDKCS32.DLL /s
    regsvr32 MSTIME.DLL /s
    regsvr32 WINTRUST.DLL /s
    regsvr32 DSSENH.DLL /s
    regsvr32 RSAENH.DLL /s
    regsvr32 CRYPTDLG.DLL /s
    regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll /s
    regsvr32 Sccbase.dll /s
    regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll /s
    regsvr32 shlwapi.dll /s
    regsvr32 localspl.dll /s

echo.
    echo ################################################## ########
    echo # #
    echo # This tool has completed its functions. #
    echo # #
    echo # it will now Restart your computer #
    echo # Pressing any key will close this program #
    echo # #
    echo.
    echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    shutdown -r -c "Please close all open programs and save your work."
    echo.
    echo.
    exit

:notice1
    echo.
    echo # #
    echo # No changes have been made #
    echo # #
    echo # Pressing any key will close this program #
    echo # #
    echo # #
    echo.
    echo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    echo.
    echo.

exit

mttxn12 Guest

Here's another article on how to fix a corrupt IE Shell.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...upted-fix.html

It tells you how to make your own bat file (without downloading anything) and how to use sfc to stabilize things.

There are definitely issues with this recent 9.1 upgrade. I would recommend people to completely remove an previous versions of Zonealarm first (with the /clean option or the clean.exe tool) and then do a fresh install. DO NOT UPGRADE!

sixxwarriorr Guest

Exclamation Re: After installing 9.1: blank screen for 7 minutes, then Windows loads fine

Hi all

I also had big problem after installing latest update

I use XP Pro SP3 and I found suddenly that booting windows froze at the icon stage i.e. everything was all going well including loading of desktop background picture then, just when I expected to see my desktop icons appear, computer appeared to freeze.

I noticed that I could still get the task manager up [control/alt/delete] and with this I could see only half system had loaded but more importantly I could shut down windows and restart.

On restart I was able to fully boot up and the problem only reappeared on start up from power off ["cold boot"]

I also noticed that if I delayed logging in, the computer would freeze at the log in stage during cold boot.

I then tried everything , full virus check, scanned discs for errors, hardware checks, even a full system restore and much more but the frustrating "cold boot" problem still reappeared every time. I searched the net for answers but nothing helped.

Then I noticed somewhere in this forum some[good]body mentioned that the ZA toolbar freezes PC during start up [as it tries to update / contact web]. The blog reply was that something on the persons computor was incompatible with ZA however I remain unconvinced.

I used the msconfig program to diagnostically check every start up component and found all work without the ZA toolbar and all / any fail with the tool bar activated at start up

I stopped the tool bar loading [by unchecking in msconfig "start page"] and all is now working fine for a week of cold boots now [whether I log in slowly or fast]

I am no expert but I think the ZA tool bar does try to access the web during start up and freezes other processes when it cant connect - may be thats why some are waiting 7 mins for full loading -others like me might wait for ever as I use a router and LAN system has to boot fully before net access is available which isnt going to happen if its behind ZA toolbar in load order!

Like I said I am no expert so maybe my reasoning above is incorrect but I am sure that in my system the toolbar was the problem and I am a little frustrated that if I'm right that ZA experts did not realize and fix this earlier [which would have saved me hours of grief]

Hence I post this in case it helps others

morey Guest

Try installing without the optional Toolbar (Forcefield).

I installed 9.1 that way and it now is the fastest and most efficient version of ZASS I have ever had.

hanal04 Guest

I had the same black screen for 5 minutes or so after every log on. I had upgraded to the latest Zonelabs version as described above. Uninstalling Zonelabs and then re-installing Zonelabs resolved the problem.

Thread Information