Thread: Removing files not pertinent to Free version

Tom T Guest

Default Removing files not pertinent to Free version

Hello, and thanks for the great ZoneAlarm Home Free! It is the only firewall I have ever used, and am very happy with it.

I like to keep my hard drive uncluttered by removing unnecessary files. I discovered that ZA Free includes many files related to the complete Suite. Presumably this is a convenience should the user choose to upgrade later, although it seems an unnecessary use of your bandwidth for those downloading the basic version.

I've compiled a guide to removing such unnecessary files on Windows XP, without in any way harming the functions of the firewall. Only the unused AV, mail scan, anti-spyware, etc. are deleted. The savings in disk space can range from ~ 100 MB to 1 GB or more, especially considering the increased size of System Restore points.

Before I post the link here, I'd like to be a good neighbor and ask the Admins if this is acceptable. (The Guide contains explicit disclaimers that it is not in any way endorsed or approved by ZoneLabs or Checkpoint, and that users must use it at their own risk only. Also, extensive advice to make multiple backups of *everything* before starting.)

If it is not acceptable, then I would rather know now than to have a post deleted for violating the rules. If this is acceptable, with the disclaimers above, then I'll post the link.

In either case, thanks again for an effective, user-friendly home firewall that is *now* also very lightweight -- about 13 - 15 MB *total* (program files, system32 files and folders, Windows\Internet Logs -- *everything*).

Hope everyone has a great week!

Default Re: Removing files not pertinent to Free version

Hi!
    I don't think this can be allowed in here. I left a message to the Forum Moderator to get a confirmation.

I will let you know as soon as I receive a response.

Thanks!

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hello Tom T,

We cannot allow you to post such directions because by modifying our product we don't know if your damaging the security of the software in some manner. Our software was not meant to have files removed after installation and we cant guarantee the stability or that it is protecting you once you done this.

What you do on your own website is fine but you cannot post links to that website from our forum either.

Any such posts above will be deleted.

Thank you

Forum moderator.
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Tom T Guest

Thank you for your reply. I understand your position. This is why I asked *before* posting the link.

Could you then consider this a suggestion that the complete Suite not be bundled in Free Home versions, as it is a waste both of the user's disk space and of your bandwidth in the downloads?

Personal experience and testing indicate that the firewall functions perfectly on its own components without the superfluous components of the Suite.

Thank you again for a great product.

When the 9.1 version of Free ZA is ready there will be a version with no suite in it.

No ETA when that will be ready though.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Tom T Guest

GMTA (Great Minds Think Alike), apparently.

Thanks for your time and attention.

- Tom

Thread Information