Thread: tvdebug access

tomama Guest

Default tvdebug access

Hello there,

I just have seen that there seems to be a System varaibale, with which for troubleshooting purposes the tvdebug file can be decrypted on the Client machine. I would be very interested in knowing how this works.

Thank you very much in advance

Default Re: tvdebug access

Hi!
    it generates encrypted data that only ZA can use. To know more I am afraid you will need to contact ZA support directly (we are all users here).

This is data that is supposed to be managed by ZA support on request (e.g. collecting logs for a specific problem).

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tomama Guest

Hi Fax,

yes, I know this and this was already posted in another thread. But i do not find this okay. I do not want to give away data to a company which I cannot have a look at. I do not like secrets being handled this way.

Uuhm, this data is not sent to ZA but stored in your system. It is only to be used to troubleshoot issues.
    If you doubt about the security software you use you should instantly remove it.

There is nothing worst than blocking or limiting the function of your tools because you do not trust it. This is especially valid for tools that are supposed to be your first line of defense.

Really better to move to something else, it is important you feel confortable (and defended) rather than under threats (and suspicious).

Cheers,
    Fax

tomama Guest

I do not feel under threat or so by Zonealarm. I just have to find a failure in something and I just believe, that if information which are gathered from my system and I would like to troubleshoot on my own, I should be allowed to do so.

So I reckon, that it somehow must be possible to decrypt (I would say it is some sort of encryption or binary data stream) so that I can have a look at it myself before sending it to the vendor.

You would not allow the police to search your bags and taking information with them without you knowing which information this was. I know, bad example but it is very late and I couldn't find the words for a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by tomama View Post
    that it somehow must be possible to decrypt (I would say it is some sort of encryption or binary data stream) so that I can have a look at it myself before sending it to the vendor.
    I don't think it is possible, also for the security of the other users.
    You may want to check with ZA directly. Link in my signature

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 18th, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

eyesineyes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomama View Post
    Hello there,

I just have seen that there seems to be a System varaibale, with which for troubleshooting purposes the tvdebug file can be decrypted on the Client machine. I would be very interested in knowing how this works.

Thank you very much in advance
    ctrl + shift + right click on the ZA icon in the tray and choose set debug level, turn it off. Then ZA will stop generating this file.

Thread Information