Thread: Problems with ZA Extreme Security & freebies

michelle_p Guest

Default Problems with ZA Extreme Security & freebies

I could really use some expert help on this one, and would also like to know if anyone else is having similar issues.

I am running an Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 Ghz, with 2 gb ram, WinXP Pro (sp3), IE8, Zone Alarm Extreme Security 9.1.008.000, Largesoft software that came with the ZA purchase: Password Manager and PC Tuneup. (among host of other software).

Since installing ZAES and the Largesoft programs, I have had nothing but trouble (NEVER any issues with previous ZA Security Suite).

Files that had been on my computer for more than 3 years, suddenly came up as (backdoor.win32.generic) virus. About 2 weeks after that incindent, i realized virus defs hadn't updated since installing the ZAES (ver 8.???) and I actually was infected by both (backdoor.win32.sinowal and backdoor.win32.mebroot) among other lesser viruses.

My PC has slowed to a slug's crawl (on salt) and each time PWD MGR offers "advice" on processes running, my internet browser window crashes and most often then closes it's self after restarting. This is total restart of (IE, MSN, Firefox) 3 times after each incident; which happens 10 - 15 times per day.

Also, I can't get connected to internet inside 5 minutes anymore, and most programs will freeze my machine within 5-10 minutes, then it's a reboot.

I have taken suggested steps with virus removal; MBAM, A2, trojan hunter, superantispyware (Pro)... added in bit defender and CrapCleaner among others. I have now come up clean with EVERY program I scan with, uninstalled all extras and still am crashing constantly and getting the same errors with Largesoft software.

Windows, IE, Firefox, MSN, ZoneAlarm, all other "virus" software is / was fully updated with all the latest virus defs (after a lot of work).

I am at a loss, and PC support is my business! I am not as up on virus removal, so I am hoping this is either known issues between ZA and Largesoft, or something with the virus removal that I simply missed.

Please Help!
    THANKS!

michelle_p Guest

Default Re: Problems with ZA Extreme Security & freebies

I apologize for wrongly naming my .generic virus... it is actually (rarepacker.multi.generic), which coincidentally is also found in one of the PC Tuneup files (a .dll I believe). The others came from DVD Shrink 2.3... on my sytem since it was available.

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michelle_p View Post
    I apologize for wrongly naming my .generic virus... it is actually (rarepacker.multi.generic), which coincidentally is also found in one of the PC Tuneup files (a .dll I believe). The others came from DVD Shrink 2.3... on my sytem since it was available.
    Hi michelle_p,
    Are you absolutely certain that the computer is malware free? Did you follow the Malware Cleanup Guidance
    If you are certain you're malware free, you may also want to try Live Chat
    best regards,
    Findley
    Last edited by findley; November 17th, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added link to live chat

michelle_p Guest

Thanks, Findley... I looked over the link and that is what I used to clean my pc. The only step I missed was the boot cd from DrWeb. I will give that a shot, then post my Hijack This log as suggested.

michelle_p Guest

Just curious, is the DrWeb site supposed to be in another language? Can't read it at all, and don't see an english option! Not sure what to do with this one.

findley Guest

Hi michelle_p,
    I'm gonna suggest you work directly with the malware experts over at spywarehammer. See How to Create and Post a HijackThis log
    Good luck
    best regards,
    Findley

naivemelody Guest

DVD shrink/ rarepacker.multi.generic - click here >
    > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=71627
    > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=71800
    <> looks like it could be false positive.

Question - the Largesoft software - do you really need? essential? if it seems to conflict and cause issues, you may want to consider... removal of these particulars. (odd observations - ZAX has ForceField which has an anti-keylogger/ screen jammer, your password manager by it's nature keeps/ logs info. ?) If the password manager is necessary and valued by you, you can adjust ForceField - by shutting off anti-keylogger.

Forcefield's browser > security settings > Advanced > ~ uncheck "block programs that secretly record your keystrokes

ZA ForceField/ BrowserSecurity Help files - Click here > http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fo...tml/switch.htm < spend a little time to understand how it operates/ quirks.

If you search some past posts, ZA does sometimes has false detections of third-party software.
    Last edited by naivemelody; November 17th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

michelle_p Guest

Thanks, naivemelody! I did consider this may be part of the problem, but I also have all the same programs installed on my (much older and slower) laptop and no issues there at all! I have checked and doublechecked settings between to 2 to see if there is a difference, none.

I will definitely check the settings for forcefield!

I also am curious about the backdoor viruses, I read online that at least the mebroot is a username/pwd "stealer". Will i have to reset ALL my online login info when i get this cleared up? I want to make sure to keep as safe as possible when said and done.

THANKS!

Thread Information