Thread: Cache Cleaner; Mail Safe

Hybrid View

KsTinMan Guest

Default Cache Cleaner; Mail Safe

OK, This issue has been covered and closed many times, but I don't have a question. I have a suggestion. Put Cache Cleaner and Incoming Mail Safe back into ZA.

Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation (http://www.grc.com/) is the reason I began using ZoneAlarm. He highly recommended ZoneAlarm version 2.1 long ago, and he praises ZA repeatedly in numerous interviews. Check out his site if you have the time. Very smart man.

I get it... you are trying to improve your product, as you should. I appreciate the reduced scan time by combining virus and spyware scans. I understand your logic in removing the Privacy selection. Many web pages won't load without turning off the Cookie and Pop-up Blocker slider switches and allowing script to run. Going in the right direction so far.

However, I think I speak for many users when I say that the Cache Cleaner and Incoming Mail Safe are two modules we want in ZoneAlarm as a product. I use them every day on my other 2 computers. I'm hesitant to upgrade them to version 9 now. The boss already said she doesn't want it installed on her computer. Call it a security blanket. Call me paranoid. Call me a repeat customer. I want those 2 functions back. Is there any chance that Check Point will reconsider this decision and put these modules back into ZAISS and other ZA products?

I have been using ZoneAlarm for more years than I can remember. I've been recommending it to all of the users that I know (even hesitant gamers) for years, but it may be time to switch to something else. I am personally responsible for 8 computers having ZAISS installed. Not a landslide by any means, but everyone asks me each year if they should renew. In the past the answer has always been a resounding YES. You used to be #1 in my opinion... I may not recommend it next year if these 2 features are not reincorporated. At the least I'm going to do some further research into comparing the latest firewall technology now available.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 9.1.008.000
    TrueVector security engine version 9.1.008.000
    Driver version 9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.2.42, DAT file version 997352960
    AntiSpam version 6.0.0.2383

Windows XP Home SP3
    Intel T2400 @ 1.83GHz; X86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    RAM: 2 GB

Thanks for your support!
    Last edited by KsTinMan; November 18th, 2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: missing apostrophy

Default Re: Cache Cleaner; Mail Safe

Thank you for the suggestion

But the code is completely been taken out and will never return.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi!
    you can use free utilities like ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) to schedule cache clean up and many more things. For inbound mail safe, any good mail client already filter the attachments by type (e.g. outlook express, outlook, etc..), no need of any overlapping feature in ZA.

From a security point of view is important you update to the latest version. There have been substancial improvements in the protection modules.

As a general principle, better to run another security tool but new than an old tool.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

naivemelody Guest

Lightbulb Re: Cache Cleaner alternative

KsTinMan, you've made a valid and valiant plea.

I will offer a suggestion: on one of the eight pc's - just try CCLeaner as a substitute. It's 'free', has a small footprint of about 3.16MB, does not consume resources or conflicts with any known software. It will not only clean the browser like ZA's cleaner - but it will clean up your entire pc's/system superfluous files.

When I first started with ZA in 2006 I just had ZA Anti-spyware firewall which had no cache cleaner, when I used CCLeaner for the first time it cleaned up over 1,000 MB of 'un-necessary' pc files. Right now I still have ZA Pro 8.0 with cache cleaner, but I will always use CCLeaner - it's very easy to use and offers more options. You can actually see which files are being analyzed/ ready for removal, unlike ZA's cache cleaner. You have a 'start-up' list, 'un-installer/ programs' list, cookies list which you create 'safe/ keep' cookies and delete all the rest including all tracking cookies. You can clean registry and certain applications -all customizable - it's just so more versatile.

Just try it out for one week on one pc, come back and tell me it's not better than ZA's cleaner; I'll accept an "it's ok, anyhow, thanks"

Click here for CCLeaner info. > http://forums.zonelabs.com/showthread.php?t=71730
    __________________________________________________ _____
    NaiveMelody NYC - 11-19-09 - I'm A Believer - The Monkees
    Last edited by naivemelody; November 19th, 2009 at 11:05 AM.

KsTinMan Guest

I have tried CCleaner, although it was several years ago (V. 1.27.260). After ZA added its Cache Cleaner, I stopped using CCleaner. I downloaded and tried the latest version as you suggested, but I don’t need the extra features supplied in CCleaner. In my humble opinion, an application that is entitled “Internet Security Suite” should have all of the internet security tools that I want incorporated into one package. I shouldn’t need another application to replace a function that has been removed from an otherwise great program. I have Ad-Aware Pro, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, and Mike Lin’s Startup Monitor installed on all of my computers. I also use XP Repair Pro 4.0, and make frequent backups of my systems. All of these applications have their good points. You might say that I’m a little excessive when it comes to computer security and privacy. I even forward the IDENT port (113) into oblivion with my router unless it interferes with the connection, which is rare. One crash or case of identity theft is one too many.

I find it to be a sad and quite rigid statement made by the Forum Moderator that “the code is completely been taken out and will never return.” Did Check Point consult its’ customers before making this decision? There sure are a lot of people complaining. I have watched ZA slowly lose ground in firewall reviews ever since Check Point took over. These latest changes seem more like an attempt to reduce application overhead rather than a choice made because the modules are totally unnecessary. I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I see the AVG virus-free stamp on an email. As a retired software engineer, I hate to see good functions removed from an application. I suppose it’s a matter of personal preference.

Guru, I certainly will not let my protection go without updates, and “better to run another security tool but new” is exactly my stand. It’s time for me to look into a new firewall. A quick check with Shields Up at grc.com gives you a good idea as to how well your firewall performs.

Cheers!

Hello,

Actually We did a lot of research before removing those features.

What they found is that those feature were lacking and had a lot of issues. The amount of time and resources to fix and upgrade the features so they were even close to being on par with all the free apps that do the same things and even better would not have made good business sense.

Also the fact people do not buy our software because we have one of those features. Were known for our firewall and AV not our cleanup tool.

I'm sorry that it was removed.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; November 19th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KsTinMan View Post

Guru, I certainly will not let my protection go without updates, and “better to run another security tool but new” is exactly my stand. It’s time for me to look into a new firewall. A quick check with Shields Up at grc.com gives you a good idea as to how well your firewall performs.

Cheers!
    Sorry that you feel that way..

You probably have Program Control in Auto instead of MAXimum when you failed Shields Up..

Good luck finding a Firewall better than ZoneAlarm..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

KsTinMan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Sorry that you feel that way..

You probably have Program Control in Auto instead of MAXimum when you failed Shields Up..

Good luck finding a Firewall better than ZoneAlarm..
    Sorry, I didn't make my self clear. I have never failed any port check on Shields Up with ZA, not even port 113. I show all ports completely stealthed thanks to ZA's superior firewall. What I meant was that I can easily compare other firewalls for the same results.

I'm considering Kerio right now, although at 10 times the price it may be cost prohibitive. You very well may be right when you say that ZA is the best firewall. I have always thought so, and I've been one of ZA's most outspoken fans for many years. I may decide to go with just ZA's firewall and switch to a different AV product. I already have spyware covered. I know ZAISS uses the Kapersky AV engine, but the Check Point proprietary spyware engine leaves a little to be desired. Personally I won't be happy with any AV product that does not visually scan incoming email, so that's why we are at an impasse.

I have to say one thing in favor of ZA over all other AV software that I have tried. When you use the uninstaller it removes ALL traces of ZA. Nothing in the registry, folders, or anywhere else that I could find. Trying to uninstall McAfee is the most ridiculous fiasco I have ever experienced, and Norton is not much better. I recall having to manually remove over 100 occurrences of a particular registry key value just to be able to update to a newer version of McAfee.

We aren't that far apart.

Safe surfing to all...

Thread Information