Thread: Toolbar significantly cuts memory available for applications

Hybrid View

rjlittlefield Guest

Default Toolbar significantly cuts memory available for applications

Today I updated using zaSuiteSetup_91_008_000_en.exe. I immediately discovered that one of my Java programs would no longer run.

The problem turned out to be that ISWSHEX.dll was fragmenting the address space of every process by installing itself at 20c20000, thus leaving only about 1.3 GB of contiguous address space instead of the normal 2 GB. This limits the Java maximum heap size to around 1 GB instead of 1.6 GB as usual.

Un-installing the ZoneAlarm Toolbar solved this problem.

This is on Windows XP, SP 3. I was previously running with an install from zaSuiteSetup_80_298_035_en.exe, plus whatever updates were automatically downloaded. If a Toolbar was available in 8.0, I did not have it installed.

It seems bad form for any DLL to put itself into the middle of address space. This will cause problems for numerous applications.

Is there a better way to report this problem than here in the forums?

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Toolbar significantly cuts memory available for applications

Quote Originally Posted by rjlittlefield View Post

Is there a better way to report this problem than here in the forums?
    yes. We are all fellow users; tech support does not normally monitor the forums. You can talk online in chat to Technical Support during business hours. But you've got to do it today if you want quick help, or the weekend might be hard to catch someone.

Go to this page at the ZA website, and click on the blue icon in the lower right corner that says "Live Help". Even when live chat is offline, I think you can leave them a written message about your problem through the same icon.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...al-support.htm

It says a live tech is
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

You are correct; version 8 of ZASS did not have the Toolbar.

Please post back what you learn in case others have the same problem.
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 20th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.

rjlittlefield Guest

I chatted with Technical Support. The representative replied as follows:

"I apologize for any inconvenience. I was not aware that there was such an issue and how deep that issue went. Iím going to suggest contacting our Pass Program with the exact information you have included here."

He also provided more detailed instructions about how to submit the error report.

I will post again when I find out anything further.

--Rik

What was your Chat ticket number?

Thats information is not correct at all.

We need the ticket number so we can look at the conversation and take action and give training to the agent so they understand this issue better and give better support.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; November 20th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I can tell you there are no setting or workarounds for this.

So its either a conflict with something on your PC or a bug.

I think it s conflict with something on your PC or a ad-on in your browser.

We never had this issue in-house on all the system we tested on.

Contact support again and speak with a different rep or just disable the our tool bar so you wont have any issues.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rjlittlefield Guest

The chat ticket number is LTK164014857110X.

In that chat session you will find a link to the test program that I used to debug the problem. You should be able to run that program yourself, and it comes with source code available.

Immediately after a reboot, with the toolbar installed, the test program reports this situation:

Address ae0000, length 20140000, state 10000 MEM_FREE, type 0 module C:\DistributionPackages\memalloc\memalloc.exe
    Address 20c20000, length 1000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20c21000, length 65000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20c86000, length 1f000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20ca5000, length 1000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20ca6000, length 6000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20cac000, length 3000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20caf000, length a000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\Plugins\ISWSHEX.dll
    Address 20cb9000, length 50f37000, state 10000 MEM_FREE, type 0 module C:\DistributionPackages\memalloc\memalloc.exe
    Largest MEM_FREE region = 50f37000 (1358131200)

The normal response, without the toolbar installed, looks like this:
    Address 480000, length 77790000, state 10000 MEM_FREE, type 0 module C:\DistributionPackages\memalloc\memalloc.exe
    Address 77c10000, length 1000, state 1000 MEM_COMMIT, type 1000000 module C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
    Largest MEM_FREE region = 77790000 (2004418560)

I assume that this problem has your attention now.

I will monitor this thread for further questions, or you can contact me at the email address to which the chat session was sent.

Thanks for looking at this one.

Thread Information