Thread: Google Redirect Virus

solidterry Guest

Default Google Redirect Virus

I think a virus has shut down my Zone Alarm Security Suite version 9.1.008.000.

Approximately 1 month ago my Windows XP Professional-run desktop computer began exhibiting behavior that I later identified as the Google redirect virus (based on what I've been reading, anyway). When I try to go to my home page I get a Google page instead, although subsequent attempts to access my home page are usually successful. Also, whenever I do a Google search I get redirected to some bogus-looking search pages after a delay of a couple of seconds.

The only steps I've taken to correct this so far are these: On someone's recommendation, I downloaded some program called ~~~~ thinking it was free shareware. After disabling ZoneAlarm on my system, I ran a scan using ~~~~ which found 55 infections on my computer but then required me to pay for the program in order to remove the infections. I declined, exited the program and removed it from my computer. Then I ran a ZoneAlarm scan which found two viruses and quarentined them. But then ZoneAlarm mysteriously stopped running properly. When I go to the ZASS main page it tells me my anti-virus and firewall aren't set properly. But when I click on the "Fix-it" icons (or anything else on that main page) nothing happens.

That's all I've done, so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SolidTerry
    Last edited by fax; November 21st, 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Default Re: Google Redirect Virus

Hi!
    remove any antimalware recommended, not good at all. Sorry.
    Edited the post to avoid other users installing those tools.

See here (link) how to clean your system with reliable tools:
    http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showpost...07&postcount=2

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

solidterry Guest

OK, thanks. I already removed the antimalware using 'Add/Remove Programs' in Control Panel. I'll follow the rest of your recommendation and report back.

Terry

Great! Thanks...
    Please consider to have your system analysed by malware experts (last links in the clean-up guidance link).

Cheers,
    Fax

solidterry Guest

The problem now is I can't set ZASS to Ultra Deep Scan because I can't even access the main menu anymore for some reason -- probably as a result of me shutting down ZASS in an earlier effort to restart it. Now when I click, double-click or right-click on the ZA icon in my system tray nothing happens. When my mouse arrow points at the same icon a bubble message comes up that reads "Protection is up. UI is initializing". But it's been like that for the last half hour without changing.

My ZASS doesn't appear to be working at all at this point.

Hi!

run the ZA removal tool to fully remove ZA:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

and reinstall:
    www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload

Before reintalling you may want first to run the tools suggested, to clean up possible malware.

Fax

solidterry Guest

thanks, fax. i'll give it a try.

terry

solidterry Guest

Hey Fax,

I've taken the steps you recommended, running the tools to clean up possible malware. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled ZASS and everything appears to be working just fine now. When I installed ZASS it ran a deep scan in normal mode. The scan found no infections (I guess the other apps got it all). Do I still need to do a ZASS deep scan in safe mode with System Restore disabled as you had originally recommended?

Also, is it ok to keep the clean-up tools on my computer along with ZASS, or will this cause a conflict?

Lastly, is the version of ZASS I downloaded a trial version? I wasn't asked for any key or serial number when I downloaded it.

Thanks again so much for all of your help with this.

Terry

Thread Information