Thread: Icesword flagged as zombie software?

Hybrid View

logan86 Guest

Smile Icesword flagged as zombie software?

Hi

I have just attempted to download Icesword rootkit scanner from a site called *SNIP*

I wasnt completely sure about the integrety of the site even though it looked fine enough so i let the zonealarm browser download scanner do its thing, and it couldnt verify the safety. so i did the advanced scan and it was flagged by zonealarm as zombie software! so i deleted the file just to be sure.

But my question is, how likely is it that this was just a false positive, partly due to the nature of the program itself. i was a bit concerned though about zone alarms description of zombie software being a program that silently terminates itself but can then be reactivated by a remote hacker. so what should i do? thankyou so much for any help anyone can give me

Logan
    Last edited by GeorgeV; November 23rd, 2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Edited due to ZA Terms of Use Violation..

Default Re: Icesword flagged as zombie software?

Quote Originally Posted by logan86 View Post
    Hi

I have just attempted to download Icesword rootkit scanner from a site called *SNIP*

I wasnt completely sure about the integrety of the site even though it looked fine enough so i let the zonealarm browser download scanner do its thing, and it couldnt verify the safety. so i did the advanced scan and it was flagged by zonealarm as zombie software! so i deleted the file just to be sure.

But my question is, how likely is it that this was just a false positive, partly due to the nature of the program itself. i was a bit concerned though about zone alarms description of zombie software being a program that silently terminates itself but can then be reactivated by a remote hacker. so what should i do? thankyou so much for any help anyone can give me

Logan

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list your:OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7), your zonealarm product and it's version number .

=========================================

first you need to check 'who' detects 'what'. Is it the ZA antispyware or the ZA antivirus?

See where the file is quarantined (antispyware or antivirus section).
    Then if it is an antivirus detection send the file in a password protected zip to newvirus at kaspersky dot com. Subject: false positive. Include password in the e-mail.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

logan86 Guest

Default Re: Icesword flagged as zombie software?

Hi

Im using the latest version of zone alarm extreme security on windows vista 32 bit. i also have all the updates and everything.

The thing is, it isnt in quarantine. it recommened i delete the file so i did from the dialouge box that said it was malicious. also, as for the quarantine section itself, there is only one section. its just qurantine. no anti virus or anti spyware section at all, just one main section with nothing in it.

Anyways i will email them and see what they say but i dont actually have the file as it was deleted by zonealarm under its own recommendation, and im not that keen to redownload the file and save it if it really is dangerous. still does anyone have any idea or has anyone personally tried the software or that site?

Thread Information