Thread: Win XP problems with recent ZA Pro update

Richard Cosro Guest

Smile Win XP problems with recent ZA Pro update

Good evening all,

I have had major problems with ZoneAlarm Pro following a previous update and the most recent update has not improved things. The problems seems to be that the PC takes several minutes to do anything including opening up a new page or window. As soon as you eventually close down ZoneAlarm the pc operates as normal. The PC is an HP make dual co-processor intel 2.66Mhz and 1G of memory.
    I have now removed ZA completely and the PC is it's normal fast operation.
    I have two other computers, a laptop and another PC on a local home hub and will be checking to see if they are effected in the same way.
    I have carried out Norton, Ad-aware and Spybot scans and have found nothing of concern. I have now enabled Windows Defender and looking to purchase a hardware based firewall system - as I'm also looking to set up a home server etc.
    So sorry ZA - you have lost a customer here.
    All the best for the future

gordonbee Guest

Default Re: Win XP problems with recent ZA Pro update

I too have problems with browsing performance ("waiting for <site>..."), esp. firefox, since ZA (free version) updated on my XP machine. Haven't time to really investigate further, so can't rule out some other factor completely. My FF add-ons are AVG safesearch & security toolbar, along with java quick starter and MS .Net framework assistant.

I now find that I have to switch to a linux machine to browse the internet with any decent response times.

Have used free ZA for years (yes, I know, what can I expect if I don't pay...) But, it sort of puts me off upgrading to any paid for version if I were still to get problems like this.

bunnyfugger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gordonbee View Post
    I too have problems with browsing performance ("waiting for <site>..."), esp. firefox, since ZA (free version) updated on my XP machine. Haven't time to really investigate further, so can't rule out some other factor completely. My FF add-ons are AVG safesearch & security toolbar, along with java quick starter and MS .Net framework assistant.

I now find that I have to switch to a linux machine to browse the internet with any decent response times.

Have used free ZA for years (yes, I know, what can I expect if I don't pay...) But, it sort of puts me off upgrading to any paid for version if I were still to get problems like this.

Hi gordon,

Try disabling security toolbar in FF add-ons and see how things work.

Regards...

Windows XP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:997740096
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383

gordonbee Guest

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I may get around to trying that in the next few days.

What I actually did was get round to uninstalling ZA. I chose that route since, I believe, the ZA upgrade was the last event on my PC. I'm now just using the standard XP firewall.

The result is that my browser (firefox) performance is now back to previous levels (broadband performance still leaves a lot to be desired, but then that's another [ISP] story...).

I had also been experiencing problems with SMTP sever time-outs when sending email via MS outlook as well. That problem also appears to have disappeared after uninstalling ZA.

At the moment, I'm going to leave my PC as is. I've got such a lot of other things on my plate at the mo'. I do like the ZA firewall and may get around to re-installing later.

Cheers,
    Gordon.

gordonbee : Try to Clear Firefox Cache :

Many problems with loading web pages can be resolved by clearing Firefox's cookies and cache. Open the "Tools" menu, then select "Clear Private Data". Select the following items, then click "Clear Private Data Now":

* Download History
    * Cache
    * Cookies

Footnote : check that Add-ons are updated also.

BTW : If your using ZoneAlarm (free version) no security toolbar.No Advanced Download Protection in Free version.Just in paid versions do you have Browser Security .

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 24th, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added Info & paraphrase

gordonbee Guest

Thank you also for the suggestion about clearing the Firefox cache. However, I have actually had it set as default every time I quit FF, for quite some time now. It didn't seem to make any difference to the 'ZA problem' as I tried shutting down and restarting Firefox many times. I'd also tried rebooting my PC several time as well.

As I said, I'll get around to reloading ZA someday and try these other suggestions.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully someone (ZA or AVG) will recognise there is a problem and fix it.

Thank you also for the suggestion about clearing the Firefox cache. However, I have actually had it set as default every time I quit FF, for quite some time now. It didn't seem to make any difference to the 'ZA problem' as I tried shutting down and restarting Firefox many times. I'd also tried rebooting my PC several time as well.

As I said, I'll get around to reloading ZA someday and try these other suggestions.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully someone (ZA or AVG) will recognise there is a problem and fix it.

You're welcome

Added relevant link.

Check the list of incompatible Add-ons at this link :

https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO/Fx3.5/I...atible_Add-ons

Have a nice Day

Thread Information