Thread: Windows XP Security Center says ZASS Antivirus installed, but it's not

Nutcase Guest

Default Windows XP Security Center says ZASS Antivirus installed, but it's not

Running Windows XP SP2

Previously had ZA Free

Tonight, I tried updating AVG Free to v.9 but it said that ZASS Antivirus was installed and I needed to uninstall that program (I proceeded without uninstalling ZAAV as it shouldn't have ever been installed).

I've never installed ZA Antivirus on this computer, though it's possible the user chose a free trial version of ZA Pro during an update he may have performed on his own.

The AVG update failed (couldn't write a registry key) so I uninstalled it and then uninstalled ZoneAlarm (hoping to start over from scratch).

The ZoneAlarm uninstall hung after several minutes so I killed the process.

I've run cpes_clean.exe (I'm not sure it applies to the free version or only the paid version, though).

I've run MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and ccleaner -- none found issues.

Windows Security Center still shows ZASS AV as "up to date and virus scanning is on".

How can this be since the program isn't installed?

Is there any way to clear this fallacious entry in Windows Security Center?

Default Re: Windows XP Security Center says ZASS Antivirus installed, but it's not

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcase View Post
    Running Windows XP SP2

Previously had ZA Free

Tonight, I tried updating AVG Free to v.9 but it said that ZASS Antivirus was installed and I needed to uninstall that program (I proceeded without uninstalling ZAAV as it shouldn't have ever been installed).

I've never installed ZA Antivirus on this computer, though it's possible the user chose a free trial version of ZA Pro during an update he may have performed on his own.

The AVG update failed (couldn't write a registry key) so I uninstalled it and then uninstalled ZoneAlarm (hoping to start over from scratch).

The ZoneAlarm uninstall hung after several minutes so I killed the process.

I've run cpes_clean.exe (I'm not sure it applies to the free version or only the paid version, though).

I've run MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and ccleaner -- none found issues.

Windows Security Center still shows ZASS AV as "up to date and virus scanning is on".

How can this be since the program isn't installed?

Is there any way to clear this fallacious entry in Windows Security Center?
    Maybe this could be your issue.

Try this link by Guru GeorgeV :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...tory+corrupted

Footnote : Just in case, If the Removal Tool doesn't remove all remnants of ZoneAlarm on your system you might try this way.

I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000) from this link :

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-28464961/cmd/kbresource/kb-2935683221091755280/view_question!PAGETYPE?sc=7&sf=101133&documentid=3 44896&action=view

Also you should consider updating to XP SP3.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 30th, 2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added another link

Nutcase Guest

Default Re: Windows XP Security Center says ZASS Antivirus installed, but it's not

Thanks for the link, Sky Soldiers! The repository cleaner got rid of the remnant of ZASS AV (I'm still not sure how that EVER showed up in the first place) which let me diagnose the problem I was having installing AVG.

For now, all is right with the world (or at least my little corner of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcase View Post
    Thanks for the link, Sky Soldiers! The repository cleaner got rid of the remnant of ZASS AV (I'm still not sure how that EVER showed up in the first place) which let me diagnose the problem I was having installing AVG.

For now, all is right with the world (or at least my little corner of it).

You're most welcome

Glad everything is good.

Have a nice Day

Thread Information