Thread: ZoneAlarm Toolbar

Mark Worthington Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Toolbar

Hi there,

I have tried and failed to get a straight answer to my problem from Technical Support, so I am trying again via the Forum.

I ended up at ZA Pro version 9.1.008.000 by upgrading. After completely removing and re-installing, I noted that the ZA Toolbar was installed (I get extra warnings when downloading etc and I see it in Add/Remove Programs). However, I DON'T see the ZoneAlarm browser security toolbar "in the top area of your Web browser window". At all. Where is it?!

Also, the ZA Toolbar is interfering with Windows XP IE and Explorer. I used to be able to drag a url from IE's address bar to an open Explorer tab, thereby easily creating a link to that website. Since my re-install using zapSetup_91_008_000_en.exe (timestamp 18-10-2009), I am unable to do it. Pasting it is also disabled (grey-out). I uninstalled the ZA Toolbar and now it works OK again.

I'd appreciate your help.

Mark

System : Windows XP Home, ZA Pro 9.1.008.000 (timestamp 18-10-2009), Symantec Endpoint Protection (Anti Virus & Antispyware Protection enabled, Proactive Threat protection enabled, Network Threat Protection disabled), IE 8.
    Last edited by Mark Worthington; November 28th, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Updated wityh system info

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Toolbar

I'll attempt to answer the first half of your post. You are using browser IE8, although the same option exists I believe is in IE7 and IE6. Here is something to check that could explain the absence of the ZA Toolbar from your IE. Open the Internet Options for IE and go to the last tab "Advanced". Scroll down to where it says "Enable third party browser extensions" and place a checkmark, then click "Apply" or "OK" to lock the selection. You have to close IE and restart it for it to take effect. Is the ZA Toolbar now present in IE? If still not, then go to View|Toolbars (in your IE Menu line) and be sure a checkmark is by "ZoneAlarm Toolbar."

As for the second half of your post, I don't really understand what you are doing.

I don't know if solving the above has any effect on the second half of your post. But try it and see. Please post back your results. Good luck.
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 28th, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

Mark Worthington Guest

Quote Originally Posted by critterjoe View Post
    "Enable third party browser extensions".

Simple, that was it, thanks. Now why couldn't Tech Support help?

As for the second half of your post, I don't really understand what you are doing.

I had to re-install the Toolbar after enabling third party browser extensions.

Previously, seemingly out of the blue, the ZA Toolbar started interfering with Windows XP IE and Explorer…. Let’s say I’m browsing and want to save website shortcuts to a folder. I can select the url in IE’s address bar, copy it then paste it in a folder (via Explorer). I just drag the url directly into the Explorer folder, same thing. I would say this is an essential feature. Well, when I first installed the toolbar, this worked as normal for a few goes, then suddenly, it stopped working. The “paste” is grey out when I try that, and the drag method doesn’t work either.

At the moment, this is all OK, but as I said, it stopped working for no apparent reason. I’ll keep an eye and get back if it does it again.

A related question : I get an interference between the ZA Toolbar and Symantec Endpoint Protection, Tech support indicated. This begs the question : does anyone know if the “browsing security” elements of each app are mutually exclusive (just like I don’t run two software firewalls)?

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Worthington View Post
    ... are mutually exclusive?

Cheers, Mark
    Hi!
    yes, they are. No overlapping tools. It only means conflicts behind the scene, waste of resources, apps blocking each other with the end result of LESS security.

For example, if you are running an endpoint suite then you are not supposed to run ZA, even if you keep elements in each other turned OFF

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Mark Worthington Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    For example, if you are running an endpoint suite then you are not supposed to run ZA, even if you keep elements in each other turned OFF
    mmmmm, I've been using ZA for years, and Norton Corporate anti-virus. The latter began to each serious CPU resource, and I had to bin it for the latest Symantec Endpoint Protection v11. Since I'm experiencing a number of ZA problems (including the zlclient & tvDebug problem), I'm getting towards making the decision to ditch ZA .....

The benefits offered by the Toolbar seem worthwhile, but its implementation seems ropey.

Also, ZA have made the whole "Browser Security" rather confusing …. It seems to contain elements of ForceField, but is not integrated in the normal ZA interface (ie there isn't a Browser Security panel in the left navigation bar). To me, it's practically invisible.

Mark

Choose whatever runs better at your end and avoid piling up security tools one over the other. Keep it simple. Master one tool fully and you will be good

Cheers,
    Fax

Mark Worthington Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Choose whatever runs better at your end and avoid piling up security tools one over the other. Keep it simple. Master one tool fully and you will be good

Cheers,
    Fax
    Wise advice

Thanks,

Mark

You're welcome!!
    Enjoy the WE

Fax