Thread: IE7 wants to connect to the Internet

Hybrid View

krazykat Guest

Default IE7 wants to connect to the Internet

I have Zone Alarm Pro 8.0.298.running on WIN XP PRO SP2, Internet Explorer 7.0 .

I have started receiving pop ups “Internet Explorer wants to connect to the Internet” and then lists an IP address. I click “deny” and then the same popup with a different IP address appears. I select “deny” again and a new message with a different IP address. This continues for what seems like about 20 different IP addresses. In about five minutes the same process repeats. I do have IE7 installed but not open. In fact I very seldom use IE7 as a browser, except when a web site will only work with IE7.
    These pop ups are associated with the ZA icon appearing in the system tray and a ZA process running as reported by Windows Task Manager.

I have scanned for virus, malware etc. with ZA and Spy sweeper, both report no infections.

What is happening and why would Internet Explorer want to connect to the internet?

Thanks

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: IE7 wants to connect to the Internet

What did you mean by: "These pop ups are associated with the ZA icon appearing in the system tray"? Do you not show a ZA icon always present in the system tray after you boot up your computer?

Do you have IE configured to automatically search for updates to itself? Check in Internet Options in the Advanced Tab. Scroll down to "Automatically check for IE updates" and if there is a checkmark there, you can remove it, then click "Apply" or "OK" and see if that makes any difference.

Have you checked to see what IP addresses that the IE is trying to connect with? That could give you a clue as to what it might be trying to do. You can look in the Alert Logs under "Program Alerts" and see the destination IP and sometimes the destination DNS it was trying to reach. Or you can use the SmartDefense Advisor from each popup to see if it will identify the sites for you. Or you can write down the IP address and look it up at some place like WhoIs.

Finally, the following won't tell you "why" IE is trying to connect to the Internet, but if you don't want to get the alerts, instead of green ? marks in the Program Control permission columns, you could put red X's to automatically block.

You said you scanned for antivirus with " ZA and Spysweeper". But if you are using ZA Pro, it doesn't have antivirus. So are you using "Spysweeper with AV"?

If you want a second-opinion AV scan, you can do one of the online scans from one of the well-known major sites like Kaspersky, Symantec, etc. (just be sure it's not a fake phishing site).

This is unrelated to the above, but have you not wanted to upgrade to the latest ZA product 9.1.008? Be aware it no longer has the anti-spyware scanning or privacy controls. Some people miss that feature; some don't. All of the ZA products can be auditioned on a "trial basis". And Forcefield adds an extra layer of security to any of the ZA products, except ZAES which already has Forcefield integrated into it along with AV/AS, etc.
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 29th, 2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Clarification

tbutler Guest

Sounds like you've been hit by some sort of trojan dialer program and that za is trying to stop it from "dialing" out to whatever destination it is programmed to "dial".

Perhaps your Antispyware software is not catching the threat.

My recommendation is twofold:
    1. Download to disk, then run with Malwarebytes Antimalware Free Version from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php.
    2. This should take care of it.
    3. For a free extra layer of protection and to save you some damage until you get that malware off is to install a special hosts file that instructs dialers to dial nowhere rather than dialing out. Read more about the hosts file at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm.
    4. Let me know if you need assistance.

tbutler Guest

Hey, hey, I noticed that you were running XP SP2. Is this correct? You really should update to SP3 then do the steps mentioned in the earlier post. Thanks.

garywa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tbutler View Post
    Hey, hey, I noticed that you were running XP SP2. Is this correct? You really should update to SP3 then do the steps mentioned in the earlier post. Thanks.
    Current ZA information indicates that WinXP SP2 is supported. No WinXP 64-bit OS is supported.

Read here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...m-products.htm

findley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    I have Zone Alarm Pro 8.0.298.running on WIN XP PRO SP2, Internet Explorer 7.0 .

I have started receiving pop ups “Internet Explorer wants to connect to the Internet” and then lists an IP address. I click “deny” and then the same popup with a different IP address appears. I select “deny” again and a new message with a different IP address. This continues for what seems like about 20 different IP addresses. In about five minutes the same process repeats. I do have IE7 installed but not open. In fact I very seldom use IE7 as a browser, except when a web site will only work with IE7.
    These pop ups are associated with the ZA icon appearing in the system tray and a ZA process running as reported by Windows Task Manager.

I have scanned for virus, malware etc. with ZA and Spy sweeper, both report no infections.

What is happening and why would Internet Explorer want to connect to the internet?

Thanks
    Hi krazykat,

I don't see any antivirus software listed as being on your computer or having been run by you to check for infections. Got any antivirus installed? Have you run thorough scans?

Among others, try running online scanners like this one

Findley

Thread Information