Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless connection problems with latest Zonealarm

sdambal Guest

Default Wireless connection problems with latest Zonealarm

Hi All,

Here is my setup: Windows XP SP3, Zonealarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000

1. I disconnect my wireless connection, put my Windows machine in Standby or Hibernate and then start it later and I simply cannot connect using my wireless connection using my Lenovo Access Connections utility. I have found a workaround - I shutdown zonealarm, restart it and then try and most of the times it works but not always and so wanted to know if there is some other sequence that is guaranteed to work always.

2. The other problem I have is when I do a shutdown. I restart and sometimes the Firewall->Zones section shows a Network 169.254.0.0 and I cannot connect using my wireless connection. Again I have to shutdown Zonealarm, start it again, the 169.254.0.0 goes away and then I can connect to the wireless network. Even here I have to try a few times to get it to work but most often than not it works and so I am able to continue. But this trial and error is frustrating. Does anyone face the same issues and have any suggestions?

I used the new cleaner to get rid of my old zonealarm and installed the new one.

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Wireless connection problems with latest Zonealarm

The 169.254.0.0 is just an automatic default that Windows assigns when it cannot achieve a normal connection. It merely means that you can't connect to the Internet. Some people who use an intranet might have some functionality, but I'm not sure. But for all practicality, it just means you couldn't achieve a normal connection and have no internet function. Probably arises from Windows unable to reach the DHCP server of your router.

I'm not that familiar with hibernation and restoring connectivity after awakening, so unless someone else chimes in with additional info, you might want to do an online chat with Tech Support on Monday. You can either try the below, or ask them if the info in the paragraph below would apply to your situation:

What zone do you have your network in? Are there other computers, printers, etc.? Most single PC users (who are not sharing with other PC's or printers) prob. have their main network in the Internet Zone, set on HIGH (default). Some people have solved connectivity problems by manually adding the DHCP and sometimes the DNS IP address (if different) into the Trusted Zone (default medium). For most people using a router, the DHCP and DNS numbers are something like 192.168.x.x. or something similar, depending on router brand. And often the DHCP and DNS IP addresses are the same, unless the router sends the actual DNS numbers used by the ISP to your PC. I presume you know how to find these numbers as they actually appear to your PC? i.e., by typing "ipconfig /all" from a command line. Another way: if you have a connection icon in your system tray, click it (while connected to the Internet), choose the SUPPORT tab, and then the DETAILS button. It will show you your DHCP server number and your DNS number, which may be the same.

If you're uncomfortable with any of that, and since I'm not comfortable with hibernation problems, you can wait and talk to Tech Support on Monday in online chat and see what they suggest.
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 29th, 2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Clarification / typo

sdambal Guest

Thanks for your reply.

I have a single computer and have added both of my DHCP server addresses, DNS server address, router address and the loopback address as Trusted.

There are 2 workarounds that seem to work for me. When I start after Standby/Hibernate I shutdown Zonealarm, restart it and then try to connect to the internet using my wireless connection. Most often than not it works.

Once I get connected the first time I can ping and play online games etc but the browsers just do not work. Sometimes I just leave the browser open and after about a couple of minutes suddenly they display the web page. I have no idea what is happening there.

There are times though where they just refuse to work and so I disconnect, wait a while and reconnect and from then on everything works like a champ. When that happens I have absolutely no problems with the browsers.

The only problem I see is that my online games have a huge lag - but I guess I can live with that since the browsers work fine.

It is getting into that "good state" that takes time.

I will get in touch with tech support and see if they have any suggestions. I remember once this problem was stated on the official forum links but I cant find it any more.

garywa Guest

I have a slightly different setup from yours, but I am not seeing the problem you described.

I have an older IBM laptop with a Netgear PCMCIA 11g wireless card. I use the Netgear Smart Wizard Utility to connect, not Lenovo Access Connections.

When I hibernate the laptop, I typically shut down any open applications (browser, email, MS Office, etc.) and simply close the lid. I do not take any steps to disconnect the wireless connection.

When I open the lid I sign back in to WinXP and probably within a minute, the connection to the wireless router is re-established. I can then open my browser (IE7) and immediately begin surfing the web.

(OK, maybe our setups are not that close)
    Last edited by garywa; November 29th, 2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Fix typos

Quote Originally Posted by sdambal View Post
    Hi All,

Here is my setup: Windows XP SP3, Zonealarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000

1. I disconnect my wireless connection, put my Windows machine in Standby or Hibernate and then start it later and I simply cannot connect using my wireless connection using my Lenovo Access Connections utility. I have found a workaround - I shutdown zonealarm, restart it and then try and most of the times it works but not always and so wanted to know if there is some other sequence that is guaranteed to work always.

2. The other problem I have is when I do a shutdown. I restart and sometimes the Firewall->Zones section shows a Network 169.254.0.0 and I cannot connect using my wireless connection. Again I have to shutdown Zonealarm, start it again, the 169.254.0.0 goes away and then I can connect to the wireless network. Even here I have to try a few times to get it to work but most often than not it works and so I am able to continue. But this trial and error is frustrating. Does anyone face the same issues and have any suggestions?

I used the new cleaner to get rid of my old zonealarm and installed the new one.
    I remember reading in the forum about Lenovo Access Connections utility issues.I did a Search and could not find any information.Probably got lost in the change over to vBulletin.

Contact Support to see if any connection issues with Lenovo Access Connections utility and ZoneAlarm.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 29th, 2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: paraphrase

firedog Guest

I have the same problem since 9108; didn't have same problem in earlier versions

geraldlcooper Guest

Unhappy Re: Wireless connection problems with latest Zonealarm

I am also having problems connecting and staying connected to the internet running ZA Security Suite 9.1.008.000, Win 7 Ultimate, Networked via ethernet to Kyocera KR2 and USB Verizon Wireless modem. Same thing happens to Vista Home Premium HP laptop with wireless N connection to KR2, same ZA.
    Sometimes the browser IE8 or Firefox 3.5.5 will connect to internet initially but the first attempt to move from my home page is blocked. If I close ZA, all is fine.

Have checked program settings. DNS, DHCP, Loopback and Desktop and laptop ipconfig data are loaded into the trusted zone. I am going to try the new beta, and if that fails, Tech support and if that fails I will have to uninstall ZA and find another solution.

I never had any problem with ZA under XP and this same network. This showed up with the new Vista and Win 7 machines after 9.1.008.000.

PC's are HP X HDX16 laptop Vista Home Premium SP1 and HP Pavilion e9180t Desxtop Win 7 Ultimate.

I noted that ZA is not listed on the MS Win 7 Compatibility site. Not comforting.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have not been able to find a workaround, except to run naked!

geraldlcooper Guest

Exclamation Re: Wireless connection problems with latest Zonealarm

See prior Post. Beta 9.1.045.000 does not improve the connectivity problem! Not with the wireless or the ethernet connection to the KR2 router.

Why would ZA permit an initial connection to my home page, then block all attempts to access subsequent sites. As soon as I shutdown ZA, all is well. If I start ZA while a page is loading, it prevents the completion. Also prevents downloads in the same fashion. Very frustrating!

I believe I will have to evaluate other products. Disappointing. All worked well under XP Pro with earlier ZA versions and the same network and ISP hardware. And I have nearly a year left on my subscription. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldlcooper View Post
    See prior Post. Beta 9.1.045.000 does not improve the connectivity problem! Not with the wireless or the ethernet connection to the KR2 router.

Why would ZA permit an initial connection to my home page, then block all attempts to access subsequent sites. As soon as I shutdown ZA, all is well. If I start ZA while a page is loading, it prevents the completion. Also prevents downloads in the same fashion. Very frustrating!

I believe I will have to evaluate other products. Disappointing. All worked well under XP Pro with earlier ZA versions and the same network and ISP hardware. And I have nearly a year left on my subscription. Sad.
    If you want this to be fixed, be sure to report to beta feedback, little use to post it here, no ZA staff is monitoring, we are all users.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

garywa Guest

This is why I intentionally included the ZA Toolbar on one PC and left it off the other when I installed ZASS (see my sig). I wanted to be able to see the operational differences between these 2 setups.

I have not seen any of the problems mentioned here with the ZA Toolbar installed. At least, not in my configuration, with the software I have loaded.

But, everyone's hardware/software setup is different, so results may vary.

I would first suspect a corrupted installation of ZA. I would follow the steps in several of the sticky posts here to use the Clean Tool and uninstall the current installation of ZA.

As recommended, I would uninstall any/all other a/v, a/s, firewall, malware, etc. programs I had installed.

If I suspected that the ZA installation file I had downloaded was corrupt, I would delete it and download it again.

Lastly, I would run CCleaner, and then install ZA again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information