Thread: Cannot open pdf files>a clean install of Acrobat Reader and now I can open pdf files

sdambal Guest

Default Cannot open pdf files>a clean install of Acrobat Reader and now I can open pdf files

Hi All,

Here is my setup: Windows XP SP3, Zonealarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000

When I click on a link in Firefox/IE8 that opens a pdf file the browser just stays on the same page and does not open the pdf file. The browser is not hung since I can click on the Back button and it takes me back to the page where the pdf link was. Is this because of the Forcefield toolbar and is there a workaround to open pdf files other than uninstalling the toolbar?

Default Re: Cannot open pdf files

Quote Originally Posted by sdambal View Post
    Hi All,

Here is my setup: Windows XP SP3, Zonealarm Extreme Security version 9.1.008.000

When I click on a link in Firefox/IE8 that opens a pdf file the browser just stays on the same page and does not open the pdf file. The browser is not hung since I can click on the Back button and it takes me back to the page where the pdf link was. Is this because of the Forcefield toolbar and is there a workaround to open pdf files other than uninstalling the toolbar?
    Works perfect here without any issues.First try to Clear virtual data.If this doesn't resolve your issue, follow this steps.

Go to Browser Security / ForceField in ZAES and turn ForceField Off.Do the following steps for Firefox and IE and then turn ForceField On and Clear virtual data.

Footnote : You need to Clear virtual data often.

Footnote : I would suggest to do IE first.If this corrects the issue in IE then this is the problem.Then proceed with Firefox.If issue not resolve do not proceed to reset Firefox.Issue is ZoneAlarm, I would suggest to uninstall and clean install.

Reset Firefox / Reset when using ForceField :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=69972

How to Reset IE :

Close all browsers
    Open ZoneAlarm
    Click Browser Security / Settings
    Click Advanced tab
    Clear virtual data and click okay
    Now turn Browser Security off and follow these steps here

Click Start / Control Panel / Internet Options
    Click Delete / Delete Temporary Internet Files
    Security (Tab) / Default Level
    Advanced (Tab) / Restore advanced settings

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day

Charles_ B

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.5
    ForceField Version 1.5.53.49 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998019168
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 29th, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

critterjoe Guest

What program are you using to read PDF files? Are you using Acrobat Reader? If so what version? Some of the earlier versions don't work as well with the latest browsers such as IE8. Plus there are security issues with earlier versions. The latest version is 9.2 and has some important security updates, so if you haven't updated Acrobat Reader in a while, it may be a good time to consider doing so.

Then, if your problem persists, let us know. There are some additional steps that can be taken, but no reason to go thru all that if you're going to upgrade Acrobat Reader first. If you're using a different PDF reader, this doesn't apply.

If you don't upgrade Reader, then check these settings in Reader. Open your Reader program. Click on EDIT, then PREFERENCES. Then in the left column choose INTERNET. See what you have checkmarked in the Web Browser Options, such as Display PDF in Browser, Allow Speculative Downloading in Background, Fast Web View, etc.

I don't think it should be due to Forcefield; not for me anyway. I haven't had such a problem. In ZAES, however, here is a workaround if you want to view something outside of Forcefield. By the way, turning off Forcefield is much easier than uninstalling the toolbar, but you don't even have to do that. You can "open an unprotected browser". It will open a new browser window that is outside of Forcefield. Click on the ZA Forcefield icon in the Toolbar and a menu will allow you to choose "open unprotected browser." Then see if your .pdf will display OK. When you finish with that website just close that unprotected window and your protected window will be underneath.

Tip: Before opening the unprotected browser, copy the .pdf link location to your clipboard; i.e., right-click the link and choose "copy link location." Then you can just paste it into the unprotected browser address bar. "Unprotected" means unprotected by Forcefield; it will still be protected by ZA.

Good luck.
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 28th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by critterjoe View Post
    If you don't upgrade Reader, then check these settings in Reader. Open your Reader program. Click on EDIT, then PREFERENCES. Then in the left column choose INTERNET. See what you have checkmarked in the Web Browser Options, such as Display PDF in Browser, Allow Speculative Downloading in Background, Fast Web View, etc.
    underneath.
    Current Version.9.2.0

This are all default settings Edit / Preferences / Internet unless user change them.Never had any issues with earlier versions.That's why I suggested those possible issues.Because I think ForceField related.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 28th, 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Preferences path

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    Current Version.9.2.0

This are all default settings Edit / Preferences / Internet unless user change them.Never had any issues with earlier versions.That's why I suggested those possible issues.Because I think ForceField related.

Have a nice Day
    No problem But my post was to the O.P. (I know I didn't make that clear). I was asking about HIS versions and settings, not yours, since he has the problem. I should have made that clear that I was talking to him. Sorry This forum puts things in a linear fashion, and I"m used to forums that put the responses underneath the one it answered.

An additional question for the O.P.: Does this happen with all PDF file links you encounter on the Web, or only some at particular sites?
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 28th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.

I should have made that clear that I was talking to him. Sorry
    Yes, When I didn't see the Quote that's was my impression.

No problem.Just users trying to help.

Have a nice Day critterjoe

critterjoe Guest

I just discovered that dura Beta testing FAX reported this problem of PDF's not opening in IE7 with Forcefield on, but I've not noticed a problem with IE8:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=39271

Another question for the O.P.--Does the PDF open if instead of just clicking the .pdf link you right-click and choose "open link in new tab."?
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 29th, 2009 at 12:42 AM.

I just discovered that dura Beta testing FAX reported this problem of PDF's not opening in IE7 with Forcefield on, but I've not noticed a problem with IE8:

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=39271

Another question for the O.P.--Does the PDF open if instead of just clicking the .pdf link you right-click and choose "open link in new tab."?
    OP stated that he cannot open PDF in both Firefox and IE8.That why I thing it's ForceField issue.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; November 29th, 2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Typo

sdambal Guest

Default Re: Cannot open pdf files (solved)

Thanks for all your help. I tried all the suggestions but nothing worked and finally when I turned off Forcefield and it still did not work I realized that the problem could be with my adobe acrobat installation. So I checked on the Firefox forum and they indicated that I reinstall Acrobat Reader. Long story short - I cleaned up all Acrobat Reader from my laptop and did a clean install of Acrobat Reader and now I can open pdf files with Forcefield on.
    Once again thanks for all your help and suggestions

Default Re: Cannot open pdf files (solved)

Quote Originally Posted by sdambal View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I tried all the suggestions but nothing worked and finally when I turned off Forcefield and it still did not work I realized that the problem could be with my adobe acrobat installation. So I checked on the Firefox forum and they indicated that I reinstall Acrobat Reader. Long story short - I cleaned up all Acrobat Reader from my laptop and did a clean install of Acrobat Reader and now I can open pdf files with Forcefield on.
    Once again thanks for all your help and suggestions
    Glad you resolve your issues.Good that you posted how you address the issue so other users can benefit.

Thank you

Have a nice Day

Thread Information