Thread: cookies

robinrob Guest

Default cookies

IE8 with Vista has started forgetting my cookies everytime I reboot. Anyone else experiencing this and know if it's ZoneAlarm related?

Default Re: cookies

Quote Originally Posted by robinrob View Post
    IE8 with Vista has started forgetting my cookies everytime I reboot. Anyone else experiencing this and know if it's ZoneAlarm related?

to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list your:OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7), your zonealarm product and it's version number .
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by robinrob View Post
    The additional info George requested would be helpful, such as which ZA product, version, and OS. Previous versions of ZA had a "privacy control" feature that could block cookies, but could only remove cookies through a "cache cleaner" feature, that could be manual or set to occur every so often. But that feature is no longer in the version 9 products. So it's hard for me to see how ZA could be deleting cookies that were accepted by the browser.

I use XP, so I'm not sure how IE8 looks/operates in Vista. If it's similar, then some of the below may apply. There ought to be similar settings to configure. So keep in mind the following is for XP, and use any of it if you can.

In the meantime, have you only recently started using IE8? And how do you have your cookie preferences configured in IE8? If you open the Internet Options interface, there are two places you need to be concerned. First, under the General tab, if you have a checkmark under "Delete browser history on exit" you can remove that checkmark. If you want to keep the checkmark, but further refine what is deleted on exit, then click on the manual DELETE button. You will then see some options about deleting cookies or not, and preserving website data (or not). Choose the options to delete (or not) as you wish. You'll have to figure which combo suits your needs best. For instance you might want to start with checkmarks in both "preserve website data" and the "cookies" selection since I assume you don't want ALL cookies to remain, but only cookies that help you access your frequent sites. If that doesn't save what you want, then remove the checkmark from "cookies" but leave checkmark in "preserve website data" and see what happens with that.

The other place in Internet Options that affects cookies is in the Privacy tab. It affects the type/source of cookies that are accepted at all. There is a slider there which you can use to set the cookie level, such as whether or not third-party cookies are accepted, etc. You'll have to experiment and see which level is proper for your usage. If websites are still not functional, you may have to lower the setting even more. You will see a description for each level.

Good luck!
    Last edited by critterjoe; November 28th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

robinrob Guest

Thanks. Recently renewed my subscription to ZA 9.1.008.000. Not sure if it updated or not. Started having a problem with ZA ignoring atomatic updates but was able to fix that by rightclicking and doing the reset thing. I'm thinking the cookies problem might be due to a Vista update that had a glitch. Oh well, it's a minor problem. I just do a cookies import when I have to reboot.

gogoejoe Guest

Hi Critterjoe,
    Here David from USA.Recently renewed my subscription to ZA 9.1.008.000. Not sure if it updated or not. Started having a problem with ZA ignoring atomatic updates but was able to fix that by rightclicking and doing the reset thing.
    As per my opinion the cookies problem might be due to a Vista update that had a glitch. Oh well, it's a minor problem.
    Have a nice day

Thread Information