Thread: ZoneAlarm ForceField, IE8 & Explorer

Mark Worthington Guest

Default ZoneAlarm ForceField, IE8 & Explorer

I have reported this elsewhere but with ZA Pro’s Toolbar. I have uninstalled ZA Pro, and installed ForceField. I understand the advice previously given about “stick to 1 (one) producer”, and at the same time taking the advice to trial the software.

System : Windows XP Home, ZA ForceField 1.3.153.0, Symantec Endpoint Protection (Anti Virus & Antispyware Protection enabled, Proactive Threat protection enabled, Network Threat Protection disabled), IE 8.

With the complete ForceField app, 2 problems are repeatable now. With the option to install at startup disabled for the moment :

• Starting ForceField induces a Symantec EnDpoint Protection Notification, indicating that something is trying to “tamper” with it. One example : “actor” is C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\ForceField.exe (PID 4648) and the “target” is C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Shared\Drivers\SymSnapService.exe (PID 3320)

• Back to the Internet Explorer url issue : I can usually drag a url from IE's address bar to an open Windows Explorer tab, thereby easily creating a link to that website, saved to a folder (ie my hard disk). This is essential, for me personally. With FF active AND the toolbar visible (ie the add-on is enabled) this is no longer possible, it seems to block this feature.

If I disable the FF Toolbar (even after restarting IE), it still blocks.

If I exit FF, all browser windows are closed automatically, then open a new browser window, the drag works ok.

If I close IE, restart FF, open IE (note that no Toolbar appears at this point, & IE8’s add-on manager shows the FF Toolbar to be disabled) it still blocks.

Maybe someone can offer something, but the main intent of this is to provide my experience. I shall inform Technical Support, but I must admit that I’ve had a poor response from them recently; not in speed of response, but in actual technical help (for instance, it was the Forum that told me to enable 3rd party add-ons to show the toolbar in the first place).

Cheers,

Mark

Default Re: ZoneAlarm ForceField, IE8 & Explorer

Hi!

1. Yes, you should add forcefield to the exclusion list of your security software (whoever is)
    2. Yes, it is by design. You need to add shortcuts by running an uprotected browser.
    3. Don't make it complicated if you do not know how to troubleshoot your system
    4. ZA support is as good as your explanation to them of the problem. There are hundreds of potential causes that could generate a specific error, the process of troubleshooting is iterative and may be constituted by more Q&A feedbacks. One answer fits it all is not always possible.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 29th, 2009 at 05:27 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Mark Worthington Guest

1. Yes, you should add forcefield to the exclusion list of your security software (whoever is)

Fair enough, I’ve just yet to work out how. (Tech support’s answer was to uninstall the ZA Toolbar, by the way ……)

2. Yes, it is by design. You need to add shortcuts by running an uprotected browser.

OK. Pity, as that is a BIG negative.

3. Don't make it complicated if you do not know how to troubleshoot your system

I try not to, and I’m well able to troubleshoot.

4. ZA support is as good as your explanation to them of the problem. There are hundreds of potential causes that could generate a specific error, the process of troubleshooting is iterative and may be constituted by more Q&A feedbacks. One answer fits it all is not always possible.

Generally true, but without going into detail, recent interactions have surprised me.

Mark

Great! Thank you for the feedback...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information