Thread: Help? Worm or network issue

Dweezle Guest

Default Help? Worm or network issue

Sys Info first; OS Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM
    Netgear WG311 Wireless Adapter and TrendNet wireless PCI Card.
    In a desktop configuration

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Vers 9.0.114.000
    TrueVector security engine Vers 9.0.114.000
    Driver Version 9.0.114.000
    Anti-Virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.1.33, DAT file version 998074176

Connect to AT&T DSL Network (2Wire Wireless Modem/Router) with a Netgear 802T wireless access point.

I originally used Norton Internet Security 2002, and after doing clean installs every 6 mos I switched to McAfee which worked well untill they required me to purchase the newer version (2009 where I did not like the user interface or the attitude of the Indians at McAfee customer support) so I switched to ZA.

My computer has been acting in a suspicious manner since I installed ZA Extrteme Security on 10/12/2009.
    a. when I initially boot and log into my user account/admin it will automatically reboot.
    b. initially I had poor wireless signal strength but connected to my Private Network, (PN) router I received a 1500 to 3000kbps connection (from speakeasy.net speed test and Firefox Broadband speed test and diagnostics) now I cannot connect to the Access point, and it is hard to get any connection from the main router. When I do connect it is a SLOW (128-560kbps) connection and constantly was disconnected. My friend brought his laptop to my room, and it would connect to both the AP and the main router at 3000kbps. I purchased a new TrendNet wireless adapter and It can connect to the AP but slow connection, when I let both Wireless networks run, After a few Hours my connection will speed up significantly as they switch connections.
    c. I believe I have some sort of worm, as a couple of times I would get the NT shutdown warning, (I was not allowed to make a scereenshot of the window) I ran Virus scan many times finding nothing, I then used TrendNet House stand alone scan and a virus was quarantined and removed (along with my Outlook e-mail and settings). I then ran ZA antivirus, which finally found a couple of viruses, I deleted them before copying the names.
    d. I was running out of Hard Disk space, so I purchased a new WD Velociraptor 300 Gb SATA 300 Disk. I could not get the system to recognize it as my system was limited to SATA 150. anyway I found a new SATA 150 70 Gb 10,000 RPM Disc, to do a clean Install on, however now the system will not recognise my DVD Rom, It will see my SATA DVD RW but it is not bootable.
    e. I consulted a service professional, we checked all the items he could think of and his diagnosis was Worm/Virus. I can no longer access Trend Nets Home stand alone scanner, and I have written several e-mails to Tech support here at ZA with no reply. Perhaps they are being selectively blocked by a worm
    f. I continually receive a New Network prompt from my firewall prompting me to name and allow to Internet Zone or Trusted zone of the network IP 192.168.1.0. The main connection is actually at IP 192.168.1.254 I created a New Network Zone for the network 192.168.1.0/subnet 255.255.255.0. the actual subnet on the network is 255.255.255.255

What can I do from here?

Default Re: Help? Worm or network issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dweezle View Post
    Sys Info first; OS Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM
    Netgear WG311 Wireless Adapter and TrendNet wireless PCI Card.
    In a desktop configuration

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Vers 9.0.114.000
    TrueVector security engine Vers 9.0.114.000
    Driver Version 9.0.114.000
    Anti-Virus/Anti-spyware engine version 8.0.1.33, DAT file version 998074176

Connect to AT&T DSL Network (2Wire Wireless Modem/Router) with a Netgear 802T wireless access point.

I originally used Norton Internet Security 2002, and after doing clean installs every 6 mos I switched to McAfee which worked well untill they required me to purchase the newer version (2009 where I did not like the user interface or the attitude of the Indians at McAfee customer support) so I switched to ZA.

My computer has been acting in a suspicious manner since I installed ZA Extrteme Security on 10/12/2009.
    a. when I initially boot and log into my user account/admin it will automatically reboot.
    b. initially I had poor wireless signal strength but connected to my Private Network, (PN) router I received a 1500 to 3000kbps connection (from speakeasy.net speed test and Firefox Broadband speed test and diagnostics) now I cannot connect to the Access point, and it is hard to get any connection from the main router. When I do connect it is a SLOW (128-560kbps) connection and constantly was disconnected. My friend brought his laptop to my room, and it would connect to both the AP and the main router at 3000kbps. I purchased a new TrendNet wireless adapter and It can connect to the AP but slow connection, when I let both Wireless networks run, After a few Hours my connection will speed up significantly as they switch connections.
    c. I believe I have some sort of worm, as a couple of times I would get the NT shutdown warning, (I was not allowed to make a scereenshot of the window) I ran Virus scan many times finding nothing, I then used TrendNet House stand alone scan and a virus was quarantined and removed (along with my Outlook e-mail and settings). I then ran ZA antivirus, which finally found a couple of viruses, I deleted them before copying the names.
    d. I was running out of Hard Disk space, so I purchased a new WD Velociraptor 300 Gb SATA 300 Disk. I could not get the system to recognize it as my system was limited to SATA 150. anyway I found a new SATA 150 70 Gb 10,000 RPM Disc, to do a clean Install on, however now the system will not recognise my DVD Rom, It will see my SATA DVD RW but it is not bootable.
    e. I consulted a service professional, we checked all the items he could think of and his diagnosis was Worm/Virus. I can no longer access Trend Nets Home stand alone scanner, and I have written several e-mails to Tech support here at ZA with no reply. Perhaps they are being selectively blocked by a worm
    f. I continually receive a New Network prompt from my firewall prompting me to name and allow to Internet Zone or Trusted zone of the network IP 192.168.1.0. The main connection is actually at IP 192.168.1.254 I created a New Network Zone for the network 192.168.1.0/subnet 255.255.255.0. the actual subnet on the network is 255.255.255.255

What can I do from here?

Sticky by Guru Fax : Malware Clean-up Guidance at this link :

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70448

Have a nice Day

Dweezle Guest

Talking Re: Help? Worm or network issue

Thank You! I followed the suggestions, I ran the deep scan Zone Alarm anti-virus in safe mode with networking, nothing detected I also installed and ran Malware bytes in safe mode and it cleaned a number of items, It seems my main problem was My Web Search Toolbar that was inadvertently installed, and had been immediately un-installed, using the uninstall wizard in control panel.
    I re-booted the system and ran anti-malware again, then downloading, installing and updating the other programs as recommended in the reply. Each found many items some considered High Threat. All were successfully removed and I ran each program again to be sure.

Now I find I cannot run the updates to iTunes or Quicktime, and I discovered that My Automatic Updates had been de-activated. My system still will not recognize my ATA DVD Rom, (the lights blink during start-up) and it seems programs and typing run slow as if keystrokes are being logged. I am currently installing all updates and will try to re-install iTunes/Quicktime.

Thank You! I followed the suggestions, I ran the deep scan Zone Alarm anti-virus in safe mode with networking, nothing detected I also installed and ran Malware bytes in safe mode and it cleaned a number of items, It seems my main problem was My Web Search Toolbar that was inadvertently installed, and had been immediately un-installed, using the uninstall wizard in control panel.
    I re-booted the system and ran anti-malware again, then downloading, installing and updating the other programs as recommended in the reply. Each found many items some considered High Threat. All were successfully removed and I ran each program again to be sure.

Now I find I cannot run the updates to iTunes or Quicktime, and I discovered that My Automatic Updates had been de-activated. My system still will not recognize my ATA DVD Rom, (the lights blink during start-up) and it seems programs and typing run slow as if keystrokes are being logged. I am currently installing all updates and will try to re-install iTunes/Quicktime.
    I consulted a service professional, we checked all the items he could think of and his diagnosis was Worm/Virus. I can no longer access Trend Nets Home stand alone scanner, and I have written several e-mails to Tech support here at ZA with no reply. Perhaps they are being selectively blocked by a worm.

I based the suggestion on this to clean for malware.

Dweezle, I'm out out of suggestions.I think it's time to contact Support unless other users have any other input on this issue.

BTW : The latest ZoneAlarm Extreme Security release is 9.1.008.000 at this link :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

You should consider moving up to it.

Have no other suggestions to address your issue.If your license is current contact Support.

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm PST
    Limited Availability Sat-Sun

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 4th, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added link

Sounds like the malware have damaged your OS installation, use the last link posted in malware cleanup to have your system checked by experts.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information