Thread: Solved My Firefox 3.55 problem in XP

kaliesnanny Guest

Smile Solved My Firefox 3.55 problem in XP

I have been having trouble for sometime with my laptop. I try and keep my computers up to date with ALL my software. I recently updated my laptop (XP) and desktop (VISTA) to the latest Zonealarm Security Suite (9.1.008 ) and FireFox (3.5.5). Everything worked great with my Vista machine but my XP machine had problems loading my home page when it was launched. I received a this message Sorry this page is temporarily unavailable, with a refresh button. I tried removing both Zonealarm and FireFox and reinstralling each from scratch. Same results each time. I almost gave up but decided to do one last check. I opened Firefox on both machines and went to Tools- Options and compared each entry with the two. All was the same until I checked the Privacy And found the Vista machine with the Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session checked and the XP was not. Changed the XP to start as above. Saved and restarted Firefox and problem solved. I tested the XP machine by checking and unchecking the afore mentioned. Each time problem returned. Funny thing when I unchecked the Vista machine it made no difference. I left both machines checked. If anyone knows if this could cause me problems let me know.

Smile Re: Solved My Firefox 3.55 problem in XP

Thank you for your Feedback,

your Firefox 3.5.5 Fix may be of Help to other ZA 9.1 Users..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sdambal Guest

Default Re: Solved My Firefox 3.55 problem in XP

I installed Firefox 3.5.5 and it is working fine so far. But out of curiosity I tried to check the Tools-->Options-->Privacy settings and I do not see the option you are talking about - Start Firefox in Private browsing mode. All it has under Privacy tab is History and Location Bar. The "Start Private Browsing" is a menu item under Tools - is that what you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by sdambal View Post
    I installed Firefox 3.5.5 and it is working fine so far. But out of curiosity I tried to check the Tools-->Options-->Privacy settings and I do not see the option you are talking about - Start Firefox in Private browsing mode. All it has under Privacy tab is History and Location Bar. The "Start Private Browsing" is a menu item under Tools - is that what you are referring to?
    Your Millage may vary.. or you may be comparing Apples with Oranges?

We have no Idea without more Information from you..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- it is always advisable to list your:OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7), your zonealarm product and it's version number

and what Add-ons for Firefox 3.5.5.. and any other 3rd party Security programs that mat be conflicting with ZA, ForceField or FireFox?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kaliesnanny Guest

Smile Re: Solved My Firefox 3.55 problem in XP

If your are not having problems with Firefox 3.5.5 and are happy with your experience with it then I would do nothing. If you are a fan of private browsing and all it entails and are having problems opening your home page in XP. Try what I mention in my first post. To know more about Private Browsing go to Help in Firefox and Read about this starting in versions 3.5 and higher.

sdambal Guest

Hi Kaliesnanny

I am able to do private browsing and so as you suggested am not doing anything. I just couldn't find the option you were saying in Firefox 3.5.5 (Tools-Option-Privacy tab)

George - I am not sure what your post meant. I am not having any issues and so did not post any version information. I was only asking where the Firefox option was - nothing related to Zonealarm. I understand you cannot help sitting far away from my computer but believe me I did not need any help in this case

Quote Originally Posted by sdambal View Post
    Look under Tools / Start Private Browsing Ctrl+Shift+P

Popup will ask " Would you like to Start Private Browsing? "

Hope this helps.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 2nd, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added +

grahamblanca Guest

The Private Browsing thing did not work for me but I have fixed my Firefox 3.5.5 problem another way. Firstly, I am still running the fullest and best version of ZoneAlarm: Ver 7.0.483 on a Win XP Pro PC. Despite being 2 versions behind I still suffer the same problems as Ver 9 users ~~ Snip ~~.

My fix is to completely Shut Down ZoneAlarm from the icon in SysTray. Wait until after the windows Firewall warning has popped up and ZA has completely shut down. Then open Firefox. Without ZA getting in the way it works perfectly (and quickly). In Firefox's menu click Help / Check for updates. Let Firefox download and update itself. Then Start Up ZoneAlarm. It will find Firefox running and pop up an Orange warning. Click the Remember settings and the Allow button.

Since, Firefox and ZoneAlarm have been the best of friends.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 7th, 2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Edit False Dispariging Comment that Violates Terms of use Policy

Quote Originally Posted by grahamblanca View Post
    The Private Browsing thing did not work for me but I have fixed my Firefox 3.5.5 problem another way. Firstly, I am still running the fullest and best version of ZoneAlarm: Ver 7.0.483 on a Win XP Pro PC. Despite being 2 versions behind I still suffer the same problems as Ver 9 users ~~ Snip ~~.

My fix is to completely Shut Down ZoneAlarm from the icon in SysTray. Wait until after the windows Firewall warning has popped up and ZA has completely shut down. Then open Firefox. Without ZA getting in the way it works perfectly (and quickly). In Firefox's menu click Help / Check for updates. Let Firefox download and update itself. Then Start Up ZoneAlarm. It will find Firefox running and pop up an Orange warning. Click the Remember settings and the Allow button.

Since, Firefox and ZoneAlarm have been the best of friends.
    ZoneAlarm: Ver 7.0.483 is not compatible with Firefox/3.5.5

You need to move back to Firefox 3.0.15

My fix is to completely Shut Down ZoneAlarm from the icon in SysTray.Not very safe.Computer can be compromise by malware very easy.

Windows Firewall only One-Way Firewall.Doesn't provide protection for outbound traffic.

Have a nice Day

XP SP3
    Firefox/3.5.5
    ForceField Version 1.5.53.49 (standalone)
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:9.1.008.000
    TrueVector version:9.1.008.000
    Driver version:9.1.008.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.2.42
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:998707200
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2383
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 8th, 2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Edited @ 9:37AM & added ZA version & info

Thread Information